New project for 2016 - Skeletor

jeffreygullett

Hello all! It's been a long time since I started. New thread here.

I've decided I want to try to make a Skeletor costume based on the new Sideshow statue. I'm aiming for having it ready for SDCC. Not sure if I'll be able to hit that or not. But I'm going to give it a shot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454647673.184012.jpg

I'll probably pick up a Flex Design muscle suit soon. Anybody here have the Royal Blue one? The swatches on their site are so small I can't possible tell what a full suit would look like.

Picked up a ram skull off Amazon. But my first real step is going to be casting my head so I can make an articulated skull mask. I don't care for any of the ones I see on the market so I'm going to sculpt and cast my own.

Been trying to contact Flex Designs for a while now to ask about the royal blue color they use. No response. Anybody have a contact there?

Seems like there are a few ways to go building this costume, looking forward to seeing the process!
Can I request a separate thread in the sculpting section for the head?

I actually ordered a mask this morning on Etsy that looks pretty good. If it turns out that it won't work, yeah I can do a separate thread for the mask. I'll keep you updated.

Is the Jaw a separate section from the skull? If so are you going for articulation so basically when you speak will it move?

The jaw does move. But it's not a fully separate piece. But it actually articulates pretty well. Some day I'll make my own with a fully articulated mandible.

ah ok, that skull is perfect and the Sideshow version of him is epic....looking forward to seeing this when its fully completed

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=206904

Awesome!

We need more Skelators, Couple years ago I did a Skelator and used Flex design’s muscle suit. Check out my build, there has been several upgrades on my costume since then. I will tell you the suit is REALLY hot, I'd suggest getting a cold vest. Phase cooling I think is the one i got it is a must. It steals the show where ever I go. If I can help let me know. Best of luck and subscribed to your post..

Yeah I saw you're thread! Truly awesome. I orders the flex design suit too. But mine is going to be a dark blue like the statue. Thanks for the advice about the heat. I'll look into that cooling vest.

Me too! I think the muscle suit may have attempted delivery today. I have to go to the post office to pick it up. I hope it's here. Then I can really get started on the armor and stuff.

Still waiting on the muscle suit. So for now I'm working on the Chaos Staff.

I started with this resin cast skull. I didn't take a pic before I painted it. But it was a natural bone color. I painted it with a pewter metallic.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458112832.262873.jpg

I picked up this rake stick at Lowes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458112868.330372.jpg

And I'm going to attach it with this giant 1/2" bolt and washers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458112910.151303.jpg

I tested it out and it works great!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458112936.657149.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458112947.358317.jpg

So I took it off and painted the staff with this hammered silver paint I wanted to try out. It's ok, but I might redo it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458112993.397373.jpg

Now in painting these styrofoam balls for the the top of the skull and the eye sockets.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458113046.800763.jpg

That's it for now. Paint should be dry tomorrow and I'll put the whole thing together.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back