Duct Tape Mannequins

Magic Man

I'm thinking about making 3 or 4 of them to display my costumes on (not heavy stuff, all fabric). Who has made them and has pictures of the finished piece fully dressed?

Is there a certain technique to doing them? I'm assuming that you would have to do at least one layer horizontally and one vertically.

Brad

I made one long ago as a fiberglass dummy. They work really good, even though I only used packing tape. The best advice I can give is, small pieces at a time. If you try big pieces, it'll be harder to get it to shape properly. And I'd say you'll need about 3-4 layers.

I did one, but I have to say that I wasn't too pleased with it. I mostly wanted it for a sewing dummy, but once it was stuffed and mounted it somehow managed to out on a bit around the middle, so anything that I make on it is too big for me. It's very barrel-chested, and I'm . . . not. Too bad I didn't know about Clone-Extra's "small pieces" advice - might have saved me some trouble. ;)

Luckily I found a dummy at goodwill that's perfect, so I'm still trying to decide if I should just throw out the duct tape one or try to put him on a diet and use him for display.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back