Rogue One - Jyn Erso BlasTech A180 Blaster Pistol

Re: Rogue One Felicity Jones gun - ideas

Another similar angle, but this time the rear sight area is a little more clear.
Jynn blaster 2.jpg

I think this may be the 6" barrel version, with the sliding sight removed, and maybe the tab just behind the sight rail ground down. Here's a pic showing the 6" WE Tech P08 with and without the sight:
27765964460_bbbc09c8bf_b.jpg

Edit: corrected the model type

Last edited:

E.Williams, your observation is a very interesting addition. The typeof removable Luger rear sight you illustrate is from a Naval versionof the P-08 with the 150 mm barrel as opposed to the 200 mm Artillerymodel. The rear sight of the Artillery model is much simpler as anadjustable sight is located just ahead of the gun's chamber. Thetrue barrel length (as would the distinctive adjustable Artillery sight) is concealed by the barrel shroud. The “medium” 6” WEreplicate seems to match this sight design.

Last edited by a moderator:

E.Williams, your observation is a very interesting addition. The typeof removable Luger rear sight you illustrate is from a Naval versionof the P-08 with the 150 mm barrel as opposed to the 200 mm Artillerymodel. The rear sight of the Artillery model is much simpler as anadjustable sight is located just ahead of the gun's chamber. Thetrue barrel length (as would the distinctive adjustable Artillery sight) is concealed by the barrel shroud. The “medium” 6” WEreplicate seems to match this sight design.

You're right, I had the barrel lengths mixed up in my head. The one in my pictures is definitely the 6" version:

http://www.weairsoft.com/guns/gas-blowback-guns/pistols/we-p08-series/we-p002-p08-m-6-black.html

In an earlier post I listed some disappointments I had with the Denix replicate Luger P08 Artillery. I asked then if anyone else had any experience with other P08 replicate models which might be suitable for Jyn Erso's weapon. Some new photos and commentary from E.Williams directed me to investigate the P08 Naval model. I purchased a gas blow-back version made by WE in Taiwan and I can report I am very happy with this product.

First it is a much more realistic replicate. It has a functional safety, the toggle functions correctly and will lock into position when the magazine is empty, it has a removable rear sight, and lanyard ring. (All of these features were missing from the Denix model). The quality, fit, and finish of the WE parts are all superior to the Denix model. These factors not only make the replicate look and operate better and more smoothly, it makes the replicate easier to disassemble and reassemble. I have not yet started to modify either replicate but just in handling both models, I find the finish and perhaps even the metal alloy used in the Denix model to be less robust. This means it may be easier to “weather and wear” the Denix model but starting with an inferior product will still mean ending up with an inferior product.

One obvious different between the Naval and Artillery models is barrel length. The Artillery has a 200 mm (8”) and the Naval a 150 mm(6”) barrel. Jyn's weapon has a barrel shroud which appears to reflect a longer 200 mm length. That does not mean however that the barrel must be 200 mm. So far, there have been no photos of the front of the barrel or shroud to indicate if the barrel protrudes from the front of the shroud or not. If the barrel is completely contained by the shroud any barrel length P08 could be used for a close representation of the screen-used Luger. In addition, in order to add the barrel shroud to the Artillery model it will be necessary to remove the adjustable front sight from the barrel. This is not a difficult task but is just one more operation which much be performed which is not necessary if the prop maker starts with a Naval or Short(100 mm / 4”) barrel.

So far the best match to the mechanical elements seems to be the 150 mm Naval version. And the WE version seems to be a superior product. However to be fair the WE model is approximately 50% more expensive than the Denix model. I find the extra quality and function worth the extra cost. However as final details are confirmed, less expensive options (such as shorter barrel length models) may be better for builder's budgets.

I like a lot of these blaster designs, but I feel like hers needs a scope. And a lot of the flash hiders are kinda boring, as they really just look like straight tubes.

Kinda plain, you know?

Maybe they'll grow on me some more, once we get some higher res photos. I do like that they're using Sterlings, even if they are airsoft. I was assistant armorer on a movie, and we used a lot of airsoft guns for the blowback action, rather than blank guns, for some scenes in tight quarters. It does make sense.

Interesting that the slide is up in the last pic..

Yep! In the BTS video that's taken from you can see the action cycle and a puff of vapor as it fires. Between that and other details that match the WE version, looks like airsoft is confirmed! :)

2:15 in the video below:

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen it. Looks like I'll be building an A280 once the blu-ray is out...

I have been looking for the details of what I have been calling a “rail system” which is located under Jyn's barrel shroud. Starting at 1:21 in the Celebration Reel it appears this may attach at the black ring of the shroud with a clear gap between this element and the shroud in front of the ring. Looking at individual frames, the scene's background can be seen between the elements. Also the width/height of this element does not seem to vary as the weapon is moved around in front of the background making me think this might be a simple rod and not a mounting rail as I have been thinking.

Either that, or it's an airsoft gas blowback.

Technically, on a Luger, it's called the bolt toggle lock. But that's getting nitpicky. [emoji12]

Probably from firing blanks.

From what I've read here and elsewhere it is exceedingly rare to use blank firing guns these days. Airsoft guns (gas and electric) are MUCH safer, easier to wrangle on set, cheaper, and still look the part.

TFA used gas airsofts, for example, as do TV productions like Agents of SHIELD.

Actually, as someone who works props/armorer on movies these days, blank guns are still used all the time.

It's the airsoft guns that aren't used as much, but I reckon it depends on the budget. Bigger budget stuff will have a real armorer, who already has a bunch blank guns.

You'd be surprised.

My mistake. I think it might even have been your post that talked about SHIELD using airsoft and I just misinterpreted it to apply more broadly than it did :)

Hey, it's no problem, and I don't think that was me, about the SHIELD thing.

I'm sure there's quite a mix of armorers who use airsoft, and some who haven't even been introduced to it.

I can only talk about the armorers I've personally worked with, and they do use airsoft for background stuff quite a bit, but when they want a gun to cycle, more often than not they'll use blank guns.

Airsoft guns can be finicky, but so can blank guns. The last movie i worked on, I was basically the airsoft expert/wrangler. I had to teach the higher-ups about them.

I like a lot of these blaster designs, but I feel like hers needs a scope. And a lot of the flash hiders are kinda boring, as they really just look like straight tubes.

Kinda plain, you know?

Maybe they'll grow on me some more, once we get some higher res photos. I do like that they're using Sterlings, even if they are airsoft. I was assistant armorer on a movie, and we used a lot of airsoft guns for the blowback action, rather than blank guns, for some scenes in tight quarters. It does make sense.

Are airsofts or blanks lighter than the denix artillery? any idea? Cause mine is SO heavy it hurts my arm to hold it up. I swear I'm not weak, I can;t imagine running around and aiming and running with it.

Or maybe I'm a wimp.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back