nooblet MK17 hybrid build (no paint will be used only 3M 1080 vinyl car wrap)

jayutmb

So I am going to start my build thread... I had someone do the foam pep for me to start with ( I don't have the time nor mental toughness to do pep for to long) I am using them mainly as a base to build off....I will make and sculpt the rest on my own. I plan on mixing up most of the aspects of the MK17 with some of my own elements as well as subtle elements from other suits as I like different aspects of a lot of other suits and cant make up my mind for just one suit. I also will be using 3M 1080 vinyl car wrap in place of paint.. I started experimenting with the 3M 1080 in the helm below that is black and brushed steel ( there is no paint on that helm its all wrap) it was my first attempt I have gotten better at it :) with a solid base that is smooth the finished product looks like a pro paint job on steel. I am hardening a lot of key areas but not all as some places don't need it and it would be over kill.... anyhow.. here is my start ... more to follow.
12631495_10153890852381764_8964853999854005014_n.jpg12631533_10153890852401764_3648710289446538949_n.jpgbicep.jpg

helm.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1396733803.595223.jpg

that is truly an amazing idea and beautiful build.If you dont mind me asking does the vinyl adhere well to your pieces?thanks and keep up the great work

Thank you :)

yes the 3M 1080 wrap does great with no extra "glue" needed. However, I will say that doing it over untreated foam is a mistake I made (and will fix/not do it again) as it will leave bend marks when the armor is flexed enough... I would have harden the foam prior as it looks WAY better :)

Thank you for posting this! I've been contemplating using vinyl wrap too (brushed metal) as opposed to actual aluminum over foam since it adheres better and always wondered what it would look like.

So you didn't need to use any type of additional glue or adhesive? Do you shrink wrap it on with a hair dryer/heat gun?

Really nice effect with the wrap. How much has it taken to do that area of the armour. Do you need to trim/cut it to get it round the edges or does it bend/stretch reasonably well?

Thank you for posting this! I've been contemplating using vinyl wrap too (brushed metal) as opposed to actual aluminum over foam since it adheres better and always wondered what it would look like.

So you didn't need to use any type of additional glue or adhesive? Do you shrink wrap it on with a hair dryer/heat gun?

Yea no extra adhesive needed, but just smooth/harden your foam prior, if not it will show some wrinkles in areas that flex. Some places I did use heat gun and other I did not. It took some practice finding out what color wraps do what when used like this. I found cutting tiny slivers to do seams works good to cover edges depending on colors where others are better with wrap around and heat.. ( sorry for confusing response I am on treadmill while writing this lol )

Really nice effect with the wrap. How much has it taken to do that area of the armour. Do you need to trim/cut it to get it round the edges or does it bend/stretch reasonably well?

Not much once I figured out how to work it ( most of the material was used on me screwing up to figure out what works) I buy it off Amazon in 5ft by 1 ft rolls.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back