Build your own Lost in space robot!!

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369@Jan 20 2006, 07:42 AM
Monsters in Motion is selling a book on how to build your own Lost in space robot.

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=8117

It sounds interesting.. I just wonder how builder friendly it is to the average person with no vacuform or casting capabilty.

It says this book has been updated with more info,  anyone here have old one?
Lynn
[snapback]1163592[/snapback]​

YEP.. It's full of info to make a stand-alone replica, or a costume. The parts are pretty pricey, but it's still cheaper than buying the original B9 costume which went at auction at $230K or somesuch...

The revised edition should have even MORE stuff as more and more B9 Builders complete there robots.

I've got a 3rd edition copy signed by the author, Flint Mitchell.

The book was originally published in 1998, so much of the info is dated. It has a lot of pictures, but unfortunately, they are all B&W and low resolution. Still, if you're looking to build a B9, for $15 you can't go wrong. :)

The ultimate resource for B9 builders is the B9 Builders Club. http://www.b9robotbuildersclub.com.

Mike Joyce runs the site, has the license, and is a member here. Great guy, too. :)

Originally posted by rocketeer25@Jan 20 2006, 02:10 PM
Mike Joyce runs the site, has the license, and is a member here.  Great guy, too.  :)
[snapback]1163639[/snapback]​

Thanks.

We just finished our first ten licensed replicas.
A very short movie here:
http://www.b9robotbuildersclub.com/pub/gal...onsreplica.html

Nothing quite like seeing ten Robots moving and talking all at once.

Best.
Mike Joyce
www.LostInSpaceRobot.com

RobotFamilyFull.jpg

Sweet..

I never realized the tracks were so thin. I always remember drawing them bigger when I used to watch the show as a kid.

FB

I am COMPLETELY speechless.

Congratulations to all involved in this venture Mike, you have succeeded where others have failed and proved that this can be done right.

Jim

Originally posted by hyperdyne@Feb 24 2006, 10:05 PM
Wow, that is very cool indeed.

Can your B9's move via R/C control, or are the treads not motorized?
[snapback]1192666[/snapback]​

You can push or pull the Robot and it will roll on the treadbelts, but it is not motorized. At 250lbs it's not something you want rolling around the house in the hands of an 8 year old, lol.

Mike

PA250012.JPG

PA260040.JPG

PA270105.JPG

Absolutely GORGEOUS....

seal_1.gif

Somewhere, in some hole, Jim Latta is mumbling to himself: "They could have been mine... they could have been mine... :cry "

:lol

- Gabe

Somewhere, in some hole, Jim Latta is mumbling to himself: "They could have been mine... they could have been mine... "

:lol :lol :cry

Hopefully a very deep hole. Good one, Gabe.

Mike,

Excellent work. I wish you and your team all the best with this and future endevors.

Ted. :D

Originally posted by wtfjedi@Feb 25 2006, 09:03 AM
$18,000.00 :eek
[snapback]1193183[/snapback]​

What did you expect a couple of grand?. :lol

Thats a fair price considering Icons was charging about the same I think, have to dig out my correspondance with Jim, almost what 8 years ago?

Originally posted by wtfjedi@Feb 25 2006, 07:03 AM

If you have to ask the price, then you can't afford it. Pure and simple. Works of art cost money.

I think wtfjedi makes kind of a good point, since you can get all the parts (officially licensed through the club) from members at the same site for around 5 or 6k. This thread started out about the book and building your own, after all.

For folks who have it to spare, maybe twelve or so grand is cool for assembly, paint, and wiring, but where's the fun in that?

Originally posted by docholl+Feb 25 2006, 04:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(docholl @ Feb 25 2006, 04:52 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-wtfjedi
@Feb 25 2006, 07:03 AM

If you have to ask the price, then you can't afford it. Pure and simple. Works of art cost money.
[snapback]1193267[/snapback]​
[/b]

Look....as one of the few people on this planet who have built more than one of these, I can tell you $18,000 is too cheap. Particularly at the quality these are coming out.

Nothing is slapped together, all electronics are done with circuit boards. TONS of CNC parts every part is interchangable with any other robot.

AMAZING work.

But I digress.

The book noted in this thread is quite an inspiring book. Many of the current B9 builders started with that book. But it leads you down a path of utter madness.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back