1:1 Rey / Daisy Ridley (Star Wars Episode 7) WIP

Ely, you know I love your work bud, but to be honest, it looks like Natalie Portman again. I think you should have left it alone before Phil commented. It looked much more like Rey before. I didn't agree with his critique. Sorry man, just have to be honest.

Yea I'm seeing a mix of both. Daisy and Natalie. He'll get it right. I'm confident

Reel

"I can show you the ways of the force"
-Kylo Ren

It seems like my way of doing things is throwing people off, so maybe I should wait until I'm done to post pictures. I thought it would be cool for folks to see how the sculpt transforms until the final product, since I tend to sculpt and resculpt until I personally am happy with it. My OCD tends to direct me to keep changing things as I see certain angles not being correct so I slice and dice accordingly.
It takes a while to get the finished sculpt, so should I continue to post progress pictures?

It seems like my way of doing things is throwing people off, so maybe I should wait until I'm done to post pictures. I thought it would be cool for folks to see how the sculpt transforms until the final product, since I tend to sculpt and resculpt until I personally am happy with it. My OCD tends to direct me to keep changing things as I see certain angles not being correct so I slice and dice accordingly.
It takes a while to get the finished sculpt, so should I continue to post progress pictures?

Yes, please do. In the end, my opinion is all that counts.

Reel

-Kylo Ren

Honestly, I've always loved your progression threads. And there's nothing wrong with how you do things or how you sculpt. You said so yourself: you are self taught. That's pretty impressive in and of itself with the body of work you have produced.

One thing I'm still seeing are the "sunken in" cheeks, as well as the too large lower lip. In every picture her bottom lip curve is very round. There is no flat spot in the center like seen with so many people. If the lips can be shrunken down / slimmed a little and basically filling the sunken in area at the cheeks, making the transition from cheek to jaw much less. That would bring it the likeness more. Put a ruler up at the cheek and jaw and basically fill everything in the gap between the ruler and the sculpt, if that makes sense. She has a very round head with very few shape featueres and though the Hot Toys sculpt is a little extreme, it still captures the likeness and what I think your sculpt still lacks.

It's a great sculpt, but it seems your previous attempts keep crawling back into the sculpt - something I've noticed when drawing: once I draw something a certain way that doesn't look exactly right, when I go to redo it I draw it the exact same way again because it has somehow imprinted, even though I'm trying to correct it. It takes a lot to discard that way of doing it and move towards the look I want to create. It seems it may be the case here as well.

Ely, you know I love your work bud, but to be honest, it looks like Natalie Portman again. I think you should have left it alone before Phil commented. It looked much more like Rey before. I didn't agree with his critique. Sorry man, just have to be honest.

Thanks for that Steve... It wasn't JUST me noticing things wrong with the likeness but you clearly think you got a better eye than quite a few of us yet you've never sculpted a human face before. However, Steve, I have done quite a few over many years YET I don't choose to keep my trade secrets to myself like some other artists and like to pass them on... If people choose to listen then fine... if not then thats cool aswell, but its people like you having a DIG at me for trying to help that percisely puts me off wanting to help because you think its one upmanship or what - you're wrong! I've helped many other sculptors in the past including Richard Martin with his Superman ;)

I still think its the eyelids that are the biggest problem with the sculpt but the shape of the face is improving and I like the mouth alterations...

Its up to you.... or email me and I'll try and illustrate my points more clearly if you want.

I think pointing out your critiques visually instead of typing may be more helpful. I can appreciate what you're trying to say. I for one would like to see where it needs help.

Reel

-Kylo Ren

I remember talking to Bob Causey and he said the same as me... as soon as you try n offer your advise someone starts criticizing you and sees it as me trying to be superour, which I'm certainly NOT trying to do.

This is how I see it Visually... Not a lot really needs changing but the eyelids do need some more work and the position of the mouth is wrong affecting the jawline.... Remember try and imagine the eyelids being a bit deeper that you see in the photos without the eye-lashes - that's what confuses a lot of people.

REYphilEDIT.jpg

Really Phil? Nobody took a dig at you and you don't need to be so oversensitive. I've known you for many years and I'm not going to come in here and insult you .The sculpt looked better before you ripped it apart. You weren't very tactful about it either. That's all I said. All that needed to be changed was the lower eyelid. No need to come here and puff your chest out saying since I don't sculpt, I don't know what I'm talking about. Yeah you sculpt and you have an eye for this stuff, well, I've been building these busts for 20 years so I think I have a little bit of an eye myself on likenesses. No need to get all insulted since I said I thought you were wrong. Everyone has a right to their opinion. So don't take it personally brother.

Really Phil? Nobody took a dig at you and you don't need to be so oversensitive. I've known you for many years and I'm not going to come in here and insult you .The sculpt looked better before you ripped it apart. You weren't very tactful about it either. That's all I said. All that needed to be changed was the lower eyelid. No need to come here and puff your chest out saying since I don't sculpt, I don't know what I'm talking about. Yeah you sculpt and you have an eye for this stuff, well, I've been building these busts for 20 years so I think I have a little bit of an eye myself on likenesses. No need to get all insulted since I said I thought you were wrong. Everyone has a right to their opinion. So don't take it personally brother.

I'm not going to fall out with you Steve - (we have known eachother for a long time afterall) - but mate... this is a prime example of you accusing me of doing something which you are ACTUALLY doing yourself... Have a strong whisky on me ;)

This is how I see it Visually... Not a lot really needs changing but the eyelids do need some more work and the position of the mouth is wrong affecting the jawline.... Remember try and imagine the eyelids being a bit deeper that you see in the photos without the eye-lashes - that's what confuses a lot of people.

View attachment 605534

Ignoring the last few posts..this is actually a really great representation of changes that could/should be made. These changes would certainly dial it right in to where it needs to be. If only it were as easy as modifying a photo. :)

Last edited:
Hardly the same critique. But whatever. I'm not going to get in a pissing match. Putting this behind me.

I'm not going to fall out with you Steve - (we have known eachother for a long time afterall) - but mate... this is a prime example of you accusing me of doing something which you are ACTUALLY doing yourself... Have a strong whisky on me ;)

Due to the negativity that's been going on here, I was asked by the commissioner of the sculpture to not post further progress pictures until the piece is completed.
However, for those that are following the thread for what it is as a work in progress and trusting in my abilities as a sculptor, I'll post one more work in progress picture:
REY13.jpg

Still have a lot more work to do, but I'll get to hone it even more in the next couple of weeks.

Dude, I'm totally in awe of everything you do, and this is no exception. She looks great, and I know you'll get her right. Shame that the client doesn't want any pictures posted until the end, because I personally love seeing how it transforms.

You are an extremely talented artist, and I'm with you 100%.

Dude, you're bang on! It's exactly where I want it to be. Perhaps some slight revisions, but the features are all there. Love it bro

Reel

-Kylo Ren

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back