Fine Molds Millennium Falcon 1/72 - Let the Adventure Begin!

Finally got all the itty bitty parts glued on and then gave it a coat of primer:

IMG_5724.jpg

Then I gave it the base coat color. I ended up going with the Dupli-Color Pure White as robn1 suggested.
IMG_5727.jpg

Now here's a question...why don't these decals go all the way to the edge of the panel that they are supposed to go on??
IMG_5822.jpg

I think the decal looks absolutely silly! I'm wondering if I should just mask off the sections and airbrush the dark grey panels myself.

Don't worry I'm not leaving the darker grey exposed engine areas that dark...I just didn't want them to be the same color as the base coat.

I gotta say tho - this is the most amazing kit I've ever put together! All the fine detail really pays off in the end and it was an absolute pleasure to take my time doing so. I have a much greater appreciation for the actual movie props that are kitbashed together from various models that are used in the movies. Now to see if I can do some justice to the paint and weathering...

I decided to scratch build the sensor dish to make it look more like the one from TFA. I cut up an old Advil container. At the same time I dremeled out the engines.

IMG_5826.jpg

Then I found some rims off from a car in the dollar store that will go inside the engines as the fans:
FullSizeRender%201.jpg

For the dish, I added on some styrene strips and some other bits:
IMG_5829.jpg

IMG_5832.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

The first dish wasn't exactly how I wanted it to look so I made another one. I used a clear plastic bottle because it was thinner which allowed me to glue together two layers - one just slightly smaller than the back:

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

FullSizeRender4.jpg

FullSizeRender6.jpg

FullSizeRender7.jpg

FullSizeRender8.jpg

FullSizeRender10.jpg

Finished painting on the red panels and two different shades of grey panels. Now I'm ready for the fun part - weathering and the black engine blast marks!

IMG_6141.jpg

IMG_6148.1.jpg

IMG_6146.1.jpg

IMG_6147.1.jpg

Finally all done! This was very time consuming but a great deal of fun to work on. It took three months from start to finish with only 1-2 hours of work 2-3 nights a week. The paint looks very different outside than it does inside. Inside it looks much darker and around the engines it looks almost black. Outside you can see more detail and the colors look much lighter.

IMG_6651.jpg

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6660.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

IMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6647.jpg

IMG_6648.jpg

IMG_6645.jpg

IMG_6646.jpg

IMG_6591.jpg

IMG_6599.2.jpg
IMG_6599.jpg

IMG_6599.1.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent work, man! A long process, but really worth it, don't you think? I can't wait to get my MPC Falcon done. Thanks for sharing!

-Kris

it looks like it's got the perfect mix of white/cream/grey for the base hull color. Also the chipping, splattering and especially the dirt streaks turned out fantastic. That's an excellent showpiece

Some constructive criticism, the only thing I might have done differently is not going quite as dark on the engine exhaust marks. But then again, as you said, maybe it's just the lighting since in that last picture they don't seem nearly as dark compared to that first picture. its always hard to tell what it looks like in person in normal lighting

I think that's one of the hardest parts to really nail when painting the falcon. For example, on mine I think I went too far in the other direction and they weren't dark enough

Thanks for the feedback blakeh1! The base color was what I worried about the most and now that everything is battle damaged, that base color is really not predominant anymore.

When I painted the engine exhaust marks I had to take it outside after putting the first few streaks on because the lighting indoors makes everything look overly dark. In person they aren't that dark ;)

When I painted the engine exhaust marks I had to take it outside after putting the first few streaks on because the lighting indoors makes everything look overly dark. In person they aren't that dark ;)

I suspected they might not have been, especially based on the last picture

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back