R2-D2 Deluxe Electronic JAAKS Pacific Mod

CAPTAINCOX

Sr Member
Hi Guys

Time to start a new little Project.

JK90820lg.png

I saw that Marc Elkins did a "Hasbro" (or is it a JAAK?) Conversion over at MM&M and that got me really Inspired for this project.

Anyhow I got this little guy just after X-Mass as its Relatively Cheap (about 90€/99$...including shipping from the US to EU, in the US I think its cheaper) and pretty accurate.
It Messures about 20" or about 46cm thats about 1/2,5 scale as R2 is like 1,09m in real life.

I forgot to film it in action before I started to take it apart today :facepalm...but I found a small Vid online that sorta shows what it can do (vid only shows the "Try Me Modus")

The Sound and the movement of the Dome is sorta ok but the light for the Logic Panels and the Holo Lenses are not that good so thats what I am going for plus the paint job of course with a bit of weathering.

Started to take it apart this morning, it was super easy as its only attached with 8 screws and no glue like most Hasbro Toys.

IMG_2936.JPG
Main Body with electronics.

IMG_2933.JPG
The Detail is like I said pretty good for a toy.

IMG_2935.JPG
Inside of the Dome with LED Panel that I will replace later.

IMG_2934.JPG
Legs...one have a small engine inside so it tilts sideways like R2 does when he is nervous or something (Kenny Baker Style :) )

IMG_2932.JPG
Swivel/Rotation plate with engine...will keep that for sure.

IMG_2938.JPG
As you can see the Holo Projector is solid and needs to be cut out and fitted with a lens, also the PSI has a Red tinted plastic piece that needs to be replaced to a Milky Semi Transparent one.
The Proportion of the Lower Blue Band is also to narrow so I need to fill that and cut a new Panel Line to get it right...about another 6-7mm should do the trick.

IMG_2937.JPG
Same in the back, the PSI needs to be cut out and replaced.

IMG_2939.JPG
as well as the top Holo Lens.

IMG_2940.JPG
I orderd some 4,5 mm Braided Tubing of eBay for like 14€ (should come next week) and will replace the Plastic tubing with those.

IMG_2942.JPG
As it is a Toy the surface quality is not 100% due to marks from Tool Sliders but nothing that some Bondo can take care of.

IMG_2941.JPG
Same here Plastic sinkage due to the casting process.

Well thats it for now, will start drilling and filing this weekend and will post as I go along.

Cheers Guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the non electric version for Christmas and was wondering if someone was going to do a super detail of it or not. Don't know about the electronic one, but mine does not have the long logic display in the back. The little hollow projectors are a soft vinyl on mine and can be rotated to different positions.
I was wondering that with all the full size r2's out there, if anyone was going to maybe scale down some of the files and 3D print replacement parts for this little guy or not.

FINALLY someone who is tackling this one! I've been looking all over for details of the electronic version. There is almost NOTHING available. I'd love see it in action and hear the sounds that it makes. It is supposed to "waggle" from side to side? Could you make a short vid when the mod is complete to show off what it can do, please? :)

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Been super busy at Work so haven't had time to post the progress of my R2 build, but today I am home as I caught a cold on the weekend so...

I am down to what I think is the final Primer coat, I might have to fill some micro holes with bondo but I am almost there.

IMG_2949.JPG
Cut the hole for the rear Logic Display and made the frame for it.

IMG_2950.JPG
Also cut out the holes for the Holo Projectors (coming to that later)

IMG_0019.JPG
Also cut out a hole for the rear PSI (Lots a hole cutting)

IMG_2958.JPG
As I said before the Detail of this "Toy" is pretty spot on.

But as some of the detail was pretty...well not so spot on I decided to go for some 3D Modeling and use 3D Printing parts :)
Through my profession I know some 3D modeling although it was a long time ago since I needed to model something, but I got hold of Rhinoceros wich is a program I used to play around with back "then" and managed to make these two parts

Holo Projector
Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-15 um 21.49.36.png

And a "Knurled Hose Fitting"
Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-15 um 21.50.01.png

And uploaded the 3D Data to "Shapeways" and got the parts back and...

IMG_0033.JPGIMG_2952.JPG
Not to bad hey :) its a Vickers Viscount 700 Series Cabin Lamp ;) wasn't cheap but hey its for R2!

IMG_0035.JPGIMG_2947.JPG
And the Knurled Fittings with a 4.5 mm Braided tubing I got of e-Bay for like 14€

I also started to fiddle with the Light setup and I got a pretty close to the real "Logic Display" I think (was thinking to do a proper Arduino set up but I found it a bit to "over the top" for this build so I stuck to what I know...LEDs) :)

IMG_2948.JPG
Using 1mm Architect model brass mesh using 1mm Square Holes. This one is for the Rear Logic Panel.

IMG_2946.JPGIMG_2945.JPG
The front LP's fittet with 1mm Optical Fibers using 6 Blue fast blinking LED's. The Fibers Aren't trimmed so the might look a bit off.

Front Logic Display Test

Front PSI Test not using the final "Frosted White" Plexi.

Thats it for now, I guess I will post the Paint progress and final Light set up soon.

IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_2946.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

IMG_2949.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_2958.JPG

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-15 um 21.49.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-15 um 21.50.01.png

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_2947.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That is awesome!!!!! If I weren't working on my 1:1 R2 Id be doing this to my little one right now. Will you by any chance be making the shapeways files available for download?

Hi Guys

Got a question regarding the color Scheme of R2's Holo Projector. Been looking at different pics for reference and noticed that the HP not always looks the same, so I narrowed down the search to different films and this is what I found.

A NEW HOPE R2D2.jpgA NEW HOPE R2D2 2.jpg
A New Hope

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK R2D2.jpg
Empire Strikes Back

RETURN OF THE JEDI R2D2 2 .jpgRETURN OF THE JEDI R2D2 .jpg
Return of the Jedi

THE FORCE AWAKENS R2D2 .jpg
The Force Awakens

I guess there are some hardcore R2 builders here so maybe you can confirm or at least tell me what the deal is with the Holo Projector.

My personal preference is leaning towards A New Hope...with the Blue Socket...somehow looks more like R2 :)

I think most builders tend to go in the ESB-direction. I might be wrong, just my personal observation.

Very nice build so far. :)

Last edited:
After ANH the HP's and surrounds are painted silver (or rather not painted at all, that's how they came from factory). ANH changes literally from scene to scene, shot to shot, droid to droid. If you want ANH, you'll for sure want the front HP cone to be black, and the surround or "cowling" to be black or blue, your preference.

PS looks great so far!

This looks like an awesome build!

one thing to bear in mind when deciding to which version to make, is that R2's legs swap sides between ANH and the rest of the films (I noticed this when making the Bandai kits). Keep an eye on the two silver squares at the top of the legs- they go to the front on the New Hope version.
Star.Wars.Episode.4.A.New.Hope.1977.1080p.BrRip.x264.BOKUTOX+00626.jpg

Empire-Strikes-Back-Scale-Shot-Luke-R2-2.jpg

After ANH the HP's and surrounds are painted silver (or rather not painted at all, that's how they came from factory). ANH changes literally from scene to scene, shot to shot, droid to droid. If you want ANH, you'll for sure want the front HP cone to be black, and the surround or "cowling" to be black or blue, your preference.

PS looks great so far!

This looks like an awesome build!

one thing to bear in mind when deciding to which version to make, is that R2's legs swap sides between ANH and the rest of the films (I noticed this when making the Bandai kits). Keep an eye on the two silver squares at the top of the legs- they go to the front on the New Hope version.
View attachment 593075

View attachment 593076

Cheers guys great info. The JAAKS R2 Legs looks like this
IMG_2934 Kopie.jpg
So I guess the ANH Version just died :( ( one could in theory move the Battery pack around but to much bondo work and what have you) No Prob ESB it is then :)

HA! now thats a revelation, seems like the props guys got their R2's pretty mixed up between locations and takes. Sifted through A New Hope at the Star Wars Screencaps site and its really clear that they used different R2's all the time :)

Thanks for the info, I didn't dig deep enough to see the different variations of R2 within a film before

I think I will do "one" of the versions from A New Hope after all.

Then again, maybe we've gotten it wrong all this time. All the pixs posted here so far have the squares on the back side for the left leg and on the front side for the right leg. What are the odds? :)

Whaaat! The Bandai kit lied to me! I am disappoint ;)
Seriously, though, whichever version/variant you make, it's gonna be awesome!
As a companion piece, have you seen the upcoming electronic BB-8 figure in the same scale?

Sorry, I'll let you finish one project at a time :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back