1966 tv Batmobile 1/6th scale

Thanks Very Much, Okay I've come to the point of leaving the door thing alone the more I look at the car's inside just making the cut in there is impossible to get at so I've concentrated on the parachute rigging so here are some pics of the process of this part of the build. Picture 390.jpgPicture 392.jpgPicture 392.jpgPicture 395.jpgPicture 396.jpgPicture 400.jpg You know the part on the end of a dog leash well this is what I'm attempting to buildPicture 404.jpg

You guys think the whip is to high cause I can raise or lower it. I think it looks about rite and kinda cool at where I have it just wanted to know

Guys, here's a cool tip this foil I use is what they use on A/C units on the duct work you can get this tape at any hard ware store or supply out let it has a backing on it and it will stick to any thing wood plastic you name it and its a cool addition to the model building medium area. Thanks.......Jim

Wow ... look at all those details ... and that scale ... not to mention the amounts of patience to put it together like this ... excellent :)

Chaim

Thanks a bunch Chaim yep I got this about three and half years ago, and its been a on going project. I have so many projects LOL vader reveal and many many models haven't even started well every once in a while I squeeze a model in between big builds. Thanks....Jim

Okay, guys I've skim coated some bad areas on the body the upper parts are removable at the time so here are pics of thisPicture 433.jpgPicture 434.jpgPicture 435.jpgPicture 436.jpgPicture 437.jpgPicture 438.jpgPicture 439.jpgPicture 439.jpgPicture 441.jpg this is the glazing putty I use

Very nice kermit, talk us through your thought process on painting the bodywork, will you use car paint and wet sand in between layers , or a combination of paints and lacquer.
Keep up the great work

Well, temptation got the best of me and I thought well if I'm going to do this now or never so here we go I will have to redo a bunch of this but i wasn't going to be happy unless I did it so here we go guysPicture 444.jpgPicture 445.jpgPicture 446.jpgPicture 448.jpgPicture 449.jpgPicture 450.jpgPicture 451.jpgPicture 452.jpg

Thanks a lot, I'm going to use auto paints I will have to mix after first coat wet sanding then about five coats of paint in all then a wet sand and then a rub down with a fine scotch bright pad then about five coats of clear the paint will all be a ureathane base I know I didn't spell that rite. and now I'm in for the ride after cutting the doors I stepped out to think about it for a bit, and post the progress man what have I done it is all going to work out .....Thanks Jim

- - - Updated - - -

So now the batmobile will have opening doors, after thinking about this I have a plan in mind and its going to be cool....Thanks .....Jim

okay been busy out in shop got things happening here is the progressPicture 453.jpgPicture 454.jpg man this stuff when cutting gets real fuzzyPicture 456.jpgPicture 457.jpgPicture 458.jpgPicture 459.jpgPicture 459.jpgPicture 460.jpgPicture 461.jpg sorry guys my pics are upside down I'm having camera issues I don't know about how I got this part might redo it well see but I am glad I went on with opening doors once the car is all done I would have never been happy with it so now is the best time to do such a job more to come. Thanks....JimPicture 455.jpg

Well I just went out to the shop and was looking at how the door is coming along and then came in and looked at the hot wheels 1/18th batmobile how the doors open on it and the way this 1/6th car was made I couldn't cut the doors straight this is why I have that big gap but holding the door up to it with the light bar on it made me say to myself this is good and it is all going to work out fine I was scared at first and like Oh No I just messed this model up but after studying things everything is perfect now I can make the inner door look much better than before Ill show pics of the sculpted door and how the new look will be I sculpted the inside by reanching down into the car which was very hard to do. now I can carve out the inner parts and make the doors look much more scaled to the original car. well updates and more pics coming.......Thanks ....Jim

Thanks A lot, okay couldn't help myself its a OCD thing got out to the shop and just tore out everything on the inner door wasn't happy with it after all so here is the redo of this also what the door is looking like at this point also a pic of the ugly door panel that I sculpted.Picture 463.jpgPicture 464.jpgPicture 465.jpgPicture 466.jpgPicture 467.jpgPicture 468.jpgPicture 469.jpg

I haven't hinged the door yet this is something I'm working on now so stay tuned same bat channel same bat time LOL couldn't let that one get past me Thanks....Jim

Well a whole day wasted on cutting aluminum for the door hinge and working on patterns trying to figure this out and big fail but nothing damaged but my feelings so the 1/18th batmobile hinge might work but I don't want to take it apart to see it better but I have a ideal how it looks if anyone has taken there car apart post me a pic of this hinge trick cause this is what I think it is but its hard to see so I'm in thinking and research mode on this kind of hit a wall but however it is it will work just figuring it out any pics of this please post. Thanks......Jim

Well a whole day wasted on cutting aluminum for the door hinge and working on patterns trying to figure this out and big fail but nothing damaged but my feelings so the 1/18th batmobile hinge might work but I don't want to take it apart to see it better but I have a ideal how it looks if anyone has taken there car apart post me a pic of this hinge trick cause this is what I think it is but its hard to see so I'm in thinking and research mode on this kind of hit a wall but however it is it will work just figuring it out any pics of this please post. Thanks......Jim
Well if I was building this I would build the original real car hinge (but that's why many of my research is still that research and not builds LOL)
Original car was a 1955 Lincoln Futura as you know
i found the following info at this site for the car builders http://1966batvehicles.yuku.com/topic/1626/My-Door-Hinge-Design#.VqsxVfC6CrU

The actual futura before conversion to the bat mobile
image.jpeg
A lot of reference , which you probably have here http://www.1966batmobile.com/door.htm
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
But I would go with any of the current replica builders , and copy the hinge they are using , Chevy etc

also youtube has a LOT of people showing you how to make a door hinge for a scale car , suicide doors especially would suit for your use

By the way, when your working on the model do you have this going through your head http://youtu.be/EZ9ymE2Rcxo
i know it was for me just looking at these images
sorry everyone for getting this stuck in your head

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, yep songs for sure, the hinge system I need to use is called a dog leg hinge, its in the 1/18th car but I don't want to take mine apart for this, I'm hoping someone has done this and may have a pic of it. Rite now I'm just making paper cut outs to save building supply's. Thanks for the pic post, the doors on this car have to swing way out just like the 1/18th car does. the doors fit just fine and are going to be much better that before the cut was made and I just added a special touch to the car by doing this well more paper dolls today. Thanks ......Jim

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back