star trek enterprise - fifteen years later

I liked the crew and the premise but as soon as the time travel stuff started happening I started to tune out and stopped watching. I really dislike when time travel is used in these types of shows. IMO it is just a cover for bad writing. Anything can be fixed or explained away once time travel is introduced.

Here is the original image. Care to revise that statement? ;)
View attachment 622656

Never been my type of women, Hoshi sato on the other hand....Hubba hubba..
hoshi3.jpg

I really wasn't a big fan of Enterprise when it first aired, but I recently re-watched it and really enjoyed it. The decon scenes were silly, the time travel stuff was overdone, and the Xindi arc just doesn't really feel like Star Trek to me. But as a whole there was still plenty of stuff to like about it, and it holds up fairly well over time (even though it is completely and totally inconsistent with regards to Star Trek technology).'

As for Voyager: There were certainly a few duds throughout its 7 seasons (but hey... what show doesn't have a few lame episodes in 7 years), 7 of 9 got WAY to much attention in some of the later story arcs, and the finale was a special sort of terrible. But as a whole I loved the characters, stories, and show.

As for Voyager: There were certainly a few duds throughout its 7 seasons (but hey... what show doesn't have a few lame episodes in 7 years), 7 of 9 got WAY to much attention in some of the later story arcs, and the finale was a special sort of terrible. But as a whole I loved the characters, stories, and show.

they use the 'new character to explore' excuse, but in reality she was dating the head writer. no wonder there was lots of resentment on the show.

I mostly liked the show except for the Xindi and the whole temporal war BS. The best episodes were the ones when I saw Jeffrey Combs in the opening credits.
This is pretty much the way I felt about Enterprise. I thought it was the best of the Trek spin-off series even though I can't disagree with any of the less-favorable comments made in this thread. In my opinion Star Trek works best as stand-alone episodes with the occasional two-part episode, and once they started dragging out the Xindi and Temporal War plots through their entire seasons I got bored with it. And just as the fourth season started our local affiliate kept pre-empting the new episodes in favor of sporting events (or whatever), so I gave up on trying to watch it. At some point after it was canceled I did pick up the Season Four DVD set to see what I'd missed, but it was sadly a case of "too little, too late". One of these days I should probably get the first three seasons and watch the show again just to see how it's aged.

If they wanted to give us a story of the founding of the Federation-

I always saw the founding of the Federation as an unfortunate reminder at how little Star Trek chose to involve the Federation throughout the course of the franchise. Everything was always about Starfleet, and Starfleet always had humans in charge. Enterprise, god help me, was the one Star Trek series that actually did something with the other members of the Federation that felt like it mattered. I really liked how it was handled! That shot of the Enterprise with a fleet of other alien ships that would soon become members of the Federation was a sight of what should have been, but continuing the series would almost indicate that union didn't last a month. Even Deep Space Nine, my favorite Trek series, only had Starfleet ships representing the Federation during the Dominion War. No Andorians, no Vulcans and no Tellarites. The only time Deep Space Nine even dealt directly with one of those races was an episode focused around making the Vulcans look like bullies in a game of baseball. Still waiting on Sisko to make good on his promise to bring the Bajorans into the Federation. Being in a white room shouldn't change anything!

Half the time I think they think they can't afford to have a ton of aliens on screen, you never see that many on a crew in a show like you do in the movies. In the motion picture there were at least a handful of other races. I don't know if it's actually a budget thing or not but it almost feels like they go with the races that require the least makeup.

Half the time I think they think they can't afford to have a ton of aliens on screen, you never see that many on a crew in a show like you do in the movies. In the motion picture there were at least a handful of other races. I don't know if it's actually a budget thing or not but it almost feels like they go with the races that require the least makeup.

I don't think that's the case at all. Deep Space Nine alone featured numerous Cardassians, Jem'Hadar, Klingons, Vorta, Breen, changelings and even Ferengi. Those are not your typical 'tiny prosthetic piece on some random part of the human face' aliens. And don't forget the costume design for each species as well.

The movies may have bigger budgets, but none of them handled aliens the same way that the TV series did. Many of the real alien looking aliens were essentially background characters with no real presence other than just looking cool.

as for Jolene, it's funny. watching these extras, I've come to appreciate her ALOT more than I did first run.
We all know WHY she was chosen, so Boobs of Nine could evolve to Boobs of Vulcan......but when you get to see the PERSON behind the character, she's millions times more likeable. and she's a real fan of the stuff....so that helps too. she knows her stuff.

This! But she considered ME a nerd… for showing a full interactive LCARS terminal on FedCon Germany and why I wouldn't sell it. I mean, come one, she's a Trekker herself…
:D

So, it's my opinion, but I still think after 15 years, ENT's s***stains are still sticking and is a wasted material. Why won't they erase them from the canon? I'd do that to make a clean slate.

Last edited:
Ive been looking for an old hard drive of on set pictures from Enterprise but I cant find them. The actual sets were more detailed than most major motion pictures even presently.

So, it's my opinion, but I still think after 15 years, ENT's s***stains are still sticking and is a wasted material. Why won't they erase them from the canon? I'd do that to make a clean slate.

Unless the new series makes direct references to it, you could file ENTERPRISE in the JJverse. It's the only Star Trek 'thing' that acknowledges it's existence.

Apart from that TNG episode... oh wait, that was the ENT finale...
I suppose there's always the possibility the whole of Enterprise was a Riker Holodeck program which was either fantasy, or a hopelessly inaccurate history.

Unless the new series makes direct references to it, you could file ENTERPRISE in the JJverse. It's the only Star Trek 'thing' that acknowledges it's existence.
It's the only Start Trek 'thing' that has come out since. Except for Star Trek: Nemesis, and they were too busy on that one killing off The Next Generation.

I've only seen bits and pieces of it and it always strucks me as a good show and I'd have loved to have seen them do another season where they give the ship the rest of it's parts as planned. I really liked that they got James Cromwell as Cochrane at the start and tied it in with other series in the universe with the ancestor Data's creator and even having Jonathan Frakes in it not just as a throw away but to tied it into an episode of Next Gen.

Problem is it just doesn't work as a predecessor to TOS. The tech is way too advanced for that period, never mind continuity problems (those are par for the course with anything Brannon "Continuity is for wussies"* Braga does). Basically, for Enterprise to work, there'd have to be massive technological progress in the 80 years following First Contact up until the founding of the Federation, then utter stagnation for the 80 years after that, then regular and steady progress from that point forward. I have a hard time with that.

[*Direct quote, from an interview]

All the TOS races that they could have used and expanded the canon of, and they do stupid things like use the Ferengi or Borg, and introduce the Romulans far too early. And as for how many brand-new never-before-seen (and not seen later in TNG) species... well...
Supposedly, if you watch braga on the extras, he says roddenberry's mantra was 'don't look back, go new...' that, and braga never really was a fan of TOS. probably where some of the resentment to manny coto comes in, when fans think season 4 the show got a whole lot better. braga is apparently very proud of the xindi arc.

Wonderful example of Braga hearing the words, but missing the point. Exploring the known races (or even the barely-glimpsed ones from the TOS films) isn't necessarily "going backwards" if it tells us stuff we didn't know before. It's only "going backwards" if it goes over the same story ground prior series did. There is so much we don't know about those species... and I don't really feel Enterprise did a good job of exploring them at all. Especially considering they gave the Andorians ears in addition to the antennæ. *sigh* -_- Gotta keep reminding myself, "Continuity is for wussies"...

Aforementioned "boobs of Vulcan" and the decon-gel scenes were just insulting to the audience. Kronos is a week away? Near-Earth space is full of inhabited systems? Don't get me started on the massive timeline change of the Xindi and their super-weapon.
The Explination for the decon scene was that there was alot of sex and intrigue in the TOS series. this was just an extension of that. but honestly, we all know why it was there..because seven of nine 'worked so well' in expanding the horny male audience.

As far as sexiness in TOS... *does a quick review of TOS* No... There really wasn't that much of it, beyond the "Theiss Titillation Theory" aspect of the costuming (covering things that are normally uncovered while uncovering things that are normally covered -- barring naughty bits). I don't really consider chicks in catsuits a worthy extrapolation of that. *shrug* Nor the softcore gel-rubbing scenes.

I always saw the founding of the Federation as an unfortunate reminder at how little Star Trek chose to involve the Federation throughout the course of the franchise. Everything was always about Starfleet, and Starfleet always had humans in charge. Enterprise, god help me, was the one Star Trek series that actually did something with the other members of the Federation that felt like it mattered. I really liked how it was handled! That shot of the Enterprise with a fleet of other alien ships that would soon become members of the Federation was a sight of what should have been, but continuing the series would almost indicate that union didn't last a month. Even Deep Space Nine, my favorite Trek series, only had Starfleet ships representing the Federation during the Dominion War. No Andorians, no Vulcans and no Tellarites. The only time Deep Space Nine even dealt directly with one of those races was an episode focused around making the Vulcans look like bullies in a game of baseball. Still waiting on Sisko to make good on his promise to bring the Bajorans into the Federation. Being in a white room shouldn't change anything!

As for the nearness of Klingon space and the matter of other Federation species... *sigh* This is one of the "trying to be both" things that bugs the bejeepers out of me. If this were "founding of the Federation" era stuff, as the temporal placement purports, then we shouldn't be meeting the Klingons for another 70 years or so. Over the course of the show, we should be just encountering the Romulans (without ever learning what they look like) and fighting a war with them that ultimately ends up bringing the local species together from a loose trading alliance into an actual unified government. If it's the tech level and social situation we're shown in Enterprise, that would place it in the 2240s, we'd still be dealing with the "disastrous" (to quote Picard) First Contact with the Klingons a couple decades earlier, but not meeting them for the first time, and we'd've not really gotten an integrated Starfleet or agreeable Federation yet.

I wanted to see something of the getting to know the Andorians (without human ears), the Efrosians, the Caitians... Many of the cool species we saw in TOS and their films that we don't really know anything about. I did not want to see time travel stuff or much at all to do with the Vulcans. In TOS, they were still largely aloof and insular. In the films, they were still largely aloof and insular. In TNG. they were still largely aloof and insular. In DS9, they were still largely aloof and insular... I detect a trend. There's not much Enterprise could to with them that wouldn't violate that. I really, really would have loved to see Jolene as just about any species other than Vulcan. *sigh*

--Jonah

Having her as Vulcan really set a bad precedent right from the start for the series not giving a damn about continuity. The strangeness of Spock serving on a federation ship was a plot point that got mentioned about every five minutes on the original. Not as "Something that was old news 80 years ago.".

Also it makes my head hurt to think of him saying he wanted to look forward not back.... While making a prequel series.

Last edited:
Also out makes my head hurt to think of him saying he wanted to look forward not back.... While making a prequel series.

Braga just comes off as typical hollywood. just like berman. all business, no creativity. I sometimes wonder how a writer worked his way so far up the food chain unless he kissed alot of ass to do it. no other writer got so close as to be able to co create one of the series. most where just happy writing and having a job. in all these extras, berman oddly comes off more likeable and less unhinged than braga.

Braga would bea good choice to play the riddler in a future batman series.

no other writer got so close as to be able to co create one of the series.

Ron Moore? :p Like Braga, a good writer when they had a story editor over them to keep them in check. But Moore was the one who screwed up O'Brien irrecoverably ("Family", in which O'Brien suddenly went from being an officer to enlisted, because Moore couldn't tell the difference between position -- i.e., Transporter Chief -- and rating -- i.e., Chief Petty Officer). Jeri Taylor also started out as a writer on TNG.

in all these extras, berman oddly comes off more likeable and less unhinged than braga.

That's his gift -- he's a Hollywood Chameleon: One of those people who's good at rephrasing what a creative type says to them about their vision, so said creative type thinks Berman "gets it", when he's really just parroting it back to them in another form. Something any competent student learns to do when writing an essay they're not invested in. Gene thought he'd finally found someone who understood what he was trying to do with Star Trek, who Got It as deeply as he did. Nope (as early DS9 and all of Voyager, Enterprise, and the TNG films prove).

--Jonah

Having her as Vulcan really set a bad precedent right from the start for the series not giving a damn about continuity. The strangeness of Spock serving on a federation ship was a plot point that got mentioned about every five minutes on the original. Not as "Something that was old news 80 years ago."

I'd consider that a slight overstatement. It's never been stated anywhere Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet, that's a fan invention. We also know that there is an entire Starship of 400 Vulcans called the Intrepid. The name implies it's a Starfleet ship bit it isn't confirmed. Spock seems to be unusual in that he's serving on a primarily human ship. All we know is Spock is a Legend on Vulcan, but they don't say why.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back