star trek enterprise - fifteen years later

Sorry, but...
I can't look at these **** without laughing...

View attachment 580880

They're just ridiculous.

This is called Photoshopping, obviously.

- - - Updated - - -

I never cared for Enterprise, but I didn't care for anything past TOS. I tolerated TNG, only because a girlfriend's father was a total fanatic and it ran constantly at her house, but otherwise, I couldn't care less about it if it didn't star the original cast.

I did not care for any Trek shows after TOS, either, except for ENTERPRISE, which I thought was very thoughtfully and very well done. And the characters were my favorite since TOS.

It's not that far off though. Just look at the decontamination scenes. And I thought Seven of Nine looked bad.

three years of great Janeway and Kes development, and they undid that all by bringing in the T and A...

I can't help but wonder if DS9 was Paramounts attempt at doing something different with trek. and when that series lost half it's viewers, they took no chances with Voyager, turning it into a TNG clone... and Enterprise later, turning it into a bore fest....

It's not that far off though. Just look at the decontamination scenes. And I thought Seven of Nine looked bad.

three years of great Janeway and Kes development, and they undid that all by bringing in the T and A...

... and Enterprise later, turning it into a bore fest....

Actually they are that far off. And clearly the image is meant to be condescending and a cheap shot. The actress's beautiful looks is not a comment on her acting or the quality of the show any more than Yeoman Rand's legs and the sexing up of almost all the female crew members is a negative comment on TOS. And there is nothing bad-looking about Seven of Nine! And ENTERPRISE, a bore fest? I don't think so.

maybe they went up ONE size in that photoshop..but not much more than that.

I will say this for Seven. At least she had an actual character arc and evolved a little. they seemed to drop that entirely with T'Pol. As I recall, her relationship with Trip was left hanging and almost dropped entirely. And even though it's been a while since I've seen it, they kind of hinted that she was getting a crush on archer in the finale, but i may be wrong on that.

After rewatching season 1, and now halfway through season 2......it is a MUCH slower paced show. and that is why I tend to think of it as more boring than voyager, or deep space nine. I have the same view of Deep Space Nine in it's first season as well....that, and I didn't care for the bajoran plot line and that whole side of things.
It wasn't until the defiant came in, and the war with the klingons started that I gave it another chance. Although bringing worf onto DS9 to pop up ratings is just as bad as putting seven of nine in a catsuit and having T'Pol in all the decontamination scenes.

I will say this for Seven. At least she had an actual character arc and evolved a little. they seemed to drop that entirely with T'Pol. As I recall, her relationship with Trip was left hanging and almost dropped entirely. And even though it's been a while since I've seen it, they kind of hinted that she was getting a crush on archer in the finale, but i may be wrong on that.

After rewatching season 1, and now halfway through season 2......it is a MUCH slower paced show. and that is why I tend to think of it as more boring than voyager, or deep space nine. I have the same view of Deep Space Nine in it's first season as well....that, and I didn't care for the bajoran plot line and that whole side of things.
It wasn't until the defiant came in, and the war with the klingons started that I gave it another chance. Although bringing worf onto DS9 to pop up ratings is just as bad as putting seven of nine in a catsuit and having T'Pol in all the decontamination scenes.

Well, obviously, I couldn't disagree more on all counts. In particular, I consider the posting of that "jokeful" pic of Jolene a juvenile cheap shot that is as condescending as it is irrelevant.

anyway...

I can't even remember what happens in season 3 and 4 while they are looking for the death star weapon.

All I remember is that there was a cool conversation between some of the most unique looking aliens star trek has ever had....(one swimming around in a giant fish tank as I recall)
and that was about it. and I don't think the temporal cold war ever got resolved either and was left hanging.

if I thought berman and braga gave up on voyager halfway through....it's like they really burned out on enterprise.

although after doing so much trek since TNG, who can really blame them?

I'm on disc 3 of season 1 right now, and haven't seen the show since it first aired. It's kind of nice to see it again, with all its flaws. I never got in to Voyager and definitely never liked DS9. Enterprise wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it.

I am noticing how many times the same shot of the shuttle pod exiting the bay and turning and heading to to starboard has been used already in the short amount of episodes already. :lol

I just bought seasons 3 and 4 and skipped ahead to the last disc.

I forgot about the clone baby.

And the actual FINAL episode would not have been so bad if they didn't pause the virtual story so much AND let Archer have his big speech at the end.
cutting it off AFTER the big speech...it was just a giant kick in the pants to all the fans who stuck with the show.

It's times like this I wish they could reshoot the entire episode so it's edited a bit different.

I also would have done ONE last episode. showing the crew in their final years, reflecting on where they went and what was coming.

So, i'm watching the extras on enterprise. The 2 hour writers round table discussion was pretty amazing as an extra..

But do you think that Braga is so surrounded by yes men, that he can't see that Manny Cotto did fix alot of things wrong with Enterprise?
The Vulcan arc I especially remember being needed.
or is he just being overly sarcastic and the bitterness is overshadowing it? I'm getting around to finally being able to watch season 2, 3 and 4 all in one sitting...first time since it originally aired...and i hope the xindi arc is as cool as I remember it being.

I like braga just a tad more watching these extras, but I Still think he's a bit full of himself in a executive CEO way.

I'd resisted chiming in on this thread because I don't like being negative. Truly. I consider Enterprise one of the biggest fumbled balls they've done with Trek over the years. If they wanted to give us a story of the founding of the Federation and the events leading up to it (including the Romulan Wars), awesome. But the tech they gave us was waaaaay too advanced, and the time-travel crap really served more to derail from the stuff I found interesting. For what we were given, this was a few name changes and minor design tweaks away from what could have been epic -- the maiden voyage of NCC-1701 under the command of Captain Robert April. That was the first ship in the Prime timeline to receive phasers and photon torpedoes, the first class to have transporters installed for regular use rather than only emergency evac, and the first ship able to go over warp 5. They drastically expanded the borders of known space, had run-ins with the recently-encountered Klingons*, and began knitting together the various Federation races, who didn't yet entirely trust each other.

[*I still hate how they bungled the Klingon thing -- smooth heads in TOS vs. bumpy heads in the movies and later -- with DS9's "We don't discuss it with outsiders" and the whole genetic-tampering thing in ENT. Much rather they'd've gone with something like what the ancillary fiction (and Gene himself) had come up with years before...]

Like Voyager, I thought it was very well cast and had a lot of potential it either never quite reached or did far too rarely. Like Voyager, I blame Berman and Braga, for reasons I consider fairly legitimate and will go into if asked.

While I adore Jolene Blalock as a person and as an actor, I wish she hadn't been a Vulcan. The pragmatist in me can't accept breasts like that evolving on a high-gravity world like Vulcan.

And the less I say about the finale the better.

--Jonah

For what we were given, this was a few name changes and minor design tweaks away from what could have been epic -- the maiden voyage of NCC-1701 under the command of Captain Robert April. That was the first ship in the Prime timeline to receive phasers and photon torpedoes, the first class to have transporters installed for regular use rather than only emergency evac, and the first ship able to go over warp 5. They drastically expanded the borders of known space, had run-ins with the recently-encountered Klingons*, and began knitting together the various Federation races, who didn't yet entirely trust each other.

This is sooooo what I wanted out of that show. Sigh.

Like Voyager, I thought it was very well cast and had a lot of potential it either never quite reached or did far too rarely. Like Voyager, I blame Berman and Braga, for reasons I consider fairly legitimate and will go into if asked.

While I adore Jolene Blalock as a person and as an actor, I wish she hadn't been a Vulcan. The pragmatist in me can't accept breasts like that evolving on a high-gravity world like Vulcan.

And the less I say about the finale the better.

--Jonah

Voyager wasn't allowed to reach it's natural conclusion. they might as well have stayed in the Federation for all the change that happened.
and that was partly the networks fault too..

as for Jolene, it's funny. watching these extras, I've come to appreciate her ALOT more than I did first run.
We all know WHY she was chosen, so Boobs of Nine could evolve to Boobs of Vulcan......but when you get to see the PERSON behind the character, she's millions times more likeable. and she's a real fan of the stuff....so that helps too. she knows her stuff.

Voyager wasn't allowed to reach it's natural conclusion. they might as well have stayed in the Federation for all the change that happened.
and that was partly the networks fault too..

It was worse than that. Berman shoehorned the cast from the get-go. His mandate was that the crew be Perfect Paragons for the aliens they encountered to be foils against. But perfection is boring. By the time The Powers That Be realized they needed to let the characters have some flaws, they were pretty well established and couldn't really deviate too far from that. The other biggie is the way the premise was executed and concluded. You know they're going to be out there for a while, so they shouldn't have spent the first two years giving us Gilligan's Island in space -- with week after week of ways home that don't work. And at the end, there are really only two viable ways to end the show: they don't et home, and it's left open-ended; or they get home in the first five minutes, and spend the rest dealing with the fallout (wanted criminals onboard, a Borg, the Federation's fought a war in their absence...). If they were really courageous, and not bound by American storytelling conventions, they could have had the crew end up sacrificing themselves to save some race from some baddies, where Starfleet won't find out for a long time to come. Instead, we got the weakest possible conclusion -- showing us how they get home and ending as they're on approach to Earth, plus time travel.

as for Jolene, it's funny. watching these extras, I've come to appreciate her ALOT more than I did first run.
We all know WHY she was chosen, so Boobs of Nine could evolve to Boobs of Vulcan......but when you get to see the PERSON behind the character, she's millions times more likeable. and she's a real fan of the stuff....so that helps too. she knows her stuff.

I always appreciated her and think she was rather wasted on the show. I think she would have been amazing as an Andorian, personally. Jolene is one of my longstanding celebrity crushes.

--Jonah

I've only seen bits and pieces of it and it always strucks me as a good show and I'd have loved to have seen them do another season where they give the ship the rest of it's parts as planned. I really liked that they got James Cromwell as Cochrane at the start and tied it in with other series in the universe with the ancestor Data's creator and even having Jonathan Frakes in it not just as a throw away but to tied it into an episode of Next Gen.

I netflixed it about 2 years ago. Liked it enough to power through the run in about 3 weeks. Killing off Tripp was a punk move. The ending was obviously very flawed.

Voyagers ending rocked IMHO.

Actually those were two of the biggest missteps, the biggest being the entirety of season three.
I agree. After all the hooplah around calling it "Enterprise" and deliberately leaving off the "Star Trek" (until everyone pointed out how stupid that was and they back-tracked) they made far too much of a thing about heavy-handed references to TNG and later continuity.
All the TOS races that they could have used and expanded the canon of, and they do stupid things like use the Ferengi or Borg, and introduce the Romulans far too early. And as for how many brand-new never-before-seen (and not seen later in TNG) species... well...
Aforementioned "boobs of Vulcan" and the decon-gel scenes were just insulting to the audience. Kronos is a week away? Near-Earth space is full of inhabited systems? Don't get me started on the massive timeline change of the Xindi and their super-weapon.
And then to end it all: "Oh crud, we've been cancelled before the end of the five-year mission... what to do? I know, skip forward, pretend the years have passed! What else? Aha! Make the ending all a holodeck fantasy for Riker, tie it into a weak TNG episode because that will really hammer home how little we care about the show now."
I had high hopes, but the best thing about Enterprise was it made me cut Voyager a lot more slack.

I agree. After all the hooplah around calling it "Enterprise" and deliberately leaving off the "Star Trek" (until everyone pointed out how stupid that was and they back-tracked)

I never understood the reasoning behind that myself. it just seemed weird at the time, like everyone was afraid of associating with enterprise....because they thought it was bad or something.

All the TOS races that they could have used and expanded the canon of, and they do stupid things like use the Ferengi or Borg, and introduce the Romulans far too early. And as for how many brand-new never-before-seen (and not seen later in TNG) species... well...

Supposedly, if you watch braga on the extras, he says roddenberry's mantra was 'don't look back, go new...' that, and braga never really was a fan of TOS. probably where some of the resentment to manny coto comes in, when fans think season 4 the show got a whole lot better. braga is apparently very proud of the xindi arc.

Aforementioned "boobs of Vulcan" and the decon-gel scenes were just insulting to the audience. Kronos is a week away? Near-Earth space is full of inhabited systems? Don't get me started on the massive timeline change of the Xindi and their super-weapon.

The Explination for the decon scene was that there was alot of sex and intrigue in the TOS series. this was just an extension of that. but honestly, we all know why it was there..because seven of nine 'worked so well' in expanding the horny male audience.

the other thing I didn't like about enterprise at the time was the much slower pace and this was apparently deliberate

- - - Updated - - -

Voyagers ending rocked IMHO.

I thought the voyager ending was a cheap knock off....like they didn't think it had enough material to focus fully on the present timeline....

they could have cut out all the future stuff, had them get home in the first hour, and had home resolution in the second. the be st part of nemesis was janeways cameo for me.

Here is the original image. Care to revise that statement? ;)
tpol17.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back