New DeAgostini Star Wars collection!

The Studio Scale forum used to be mostly about research and now it's mostly about paint by numbers. I think that's what is bumming me out.

Think of it as the gateway drug to real studio scale modeling... plus not everyone in the world can be a master scratch builder / kit basher extraordinaire :D and the still have to paint the thing to get a good replica...

Jedi Dade

Think of it as the gateway drug to real studio scale modeling... plus not everyone in the world can be a master scratch builder / kit basher extraordinaire :D and the still have to paint the thing to get a good replica...

Jedi Dade

And even as I tried to get into ss modeling, I found it really strange that people were making secrets about the kit part IDs (in my eyes really unneccessary ***). This and the price of the donor kits make it just very hard to get into this.

Honestly... with all the kits out there of just about every SW ship that was ever seen in the movies, there are a few that would be just incredible if they would build them as a kit that have never been offered in kit form before (except as maybe some high priced resin garage kit for a very limited run). Here's a list of ships that I truly think they should make for us to build in huge studio scale that have never really seen the light of day outside the Lucas archives...

1) The Blockade Runner - I loved that ship... was the very first ship that was ever seen in the Star Wars universe and yet it has never been made in kit form.
2) Jabba's Sail Barge - Here's a kit that was just begging for a model... but no... and what would be even better is if they included the Skiff that went with it!
3) A Whole Collection of Pod Racers - Sure they made Anakins (and I think they had a limited run of Sebulba's in the UK) but what about the others?
4) The Jawa Sand Crawler - Now this would be awesome if not only did it light up, but had a remote control vacuum nozzle and was RC'd like a car!
5) Death Star 2 - Now THAT would be an awesome kit to build!
6) Droid Control Ship - Those looked pretty cool!
7) Imperial Probe Droid - I always thought that would have been a awesome kit!
8) Tie Bomber - Has been a long time but I think it's about time to make a kit of it!
9) The Medical Frigate - That would have been an AWESOME model to have!
10) Other Droids - 2-1B, IG-88, Interrogation Droid... there were so many other cool droids and they only focused on 3 (R2, 3PO, and maybe R5 recently)

Now... if we're talking studio scale stuff that has been done to death but would still look really cool... let's start with the least produced and move up to the most:

1) Y-Wing - Now they made 1 kit of this beauty and yet it was only like 5 inches long! Pityful!
2) B-Wing - Who wouldn't want a huge one of these beauties!
3) Snowspeeder - A Studio Scale version of this with working lights, motorized cockpit and brake flaps would be AWESOME at a 3 foot scale!
4) The Bongo - Here's a kit that was not only small, but would have been beautiful once completed... if only it was larger!
5) Some of the Pocket Kits - Why did they make these things so SMALL? C'mon... you couldn't even see any detail in them at all! (Lander, Troop Carrier, Darth Maul's Ship).
6) The AT-AT - Now this one would be awesome if it were studio scale like 25 inches tall, working leg pistons, working legs and moving gun mounts. Just awesomeness!
7) Slave 1 - This one is SCREAMING for a Studio Scale LARGE version... Can't say enough about it!
8) X-Wing - Ok... this one has been done to death... but tell it it wouldn't be totally awesome to have a HUGE Studio Scale 4 footer sitting in your collection room with working motorized wings, lights, and sound!
9) Star Destroyer - Ok... A 4 foot SD would be completely and totally AWESOME but I gotta tell ya, lighting that thing would be as intimidating as hell!

There's my list of what actually SHOULD be done in the order they should be done. Why? We've been so deludged with the offerings we've been handed that we've been scrapping at converting toys to fulfill our hunger for OTHER ships! Why not break the norm and give us something that no other company has yet! That's just my two cents!

I told my wife, even though I am trimming my collection way, way down I will likely have a monthly subscription to Deagostini forever.

I think they are going to do a lot of Star Wars stuff.

I wimped out and listed my Randy Cooper Star Destroyer kit. I am really hoping Deago does the Star Destroyer.

If I try the Randy Cooper one I think at some point it will be in many pieces on the garage floor with me standing over it with a sledge hammer, out of breath but still screaming.

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

9) Star Destroyer - Ok... A 4 foot SD would be completely and totally AWESOME but I gotta tell ya, lighting that thing would be as intimidating as hell!

I seam to remember someone telling me to put on my big boy pants and man up about lighting????

Who was that,....???

Oh yeah,..YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) Tom

And even as I tried to get into ss modeling, I found it really strange that people were making secrets about the kit part IDs (in my eyes really unneccessary ***). This and the price of the donor kits make it just very hard to get into this.

Yes this can be frustrating... However, I understand the secrecy. and here's been my experience.... a few dedicated people spend literally hundreds or thousands of hours pouring over every reference pic and model kit they can find built in the correct time era that the original model was built... they have devoted tremendous amounts of time and energy in learning what various parts really are. Then Jedi Dade comes along Newb to the hobby and says "Wow man that thing is totally awesome what's it made of... I'd like to make one". realize I'm one of hundred of emails that these guys got stating almost exactly the same thing... The response is usually something like - "Thanks, it s made of WWII kits and a lot of scratchbuilding... Study the reference pics and have at it." Some people (usually the ones that are not serious) are flattered they got an email back at all and a little pissed that they really did not get much info... others take it as "WWII kits huh", and start combing ebay for kits and start building "something close". At that point the original master builder usually takes pity on the novice and starts to offer tid-bits to see if they are really interested. The tidbits move to outright help...then move to casting up known parts.. and before you know it the novice is ID'ing kit parts collecting hard to find reference and returning the favor.

Now that was the beginning of the RPF... things have changed since the beginning for better and worse. there was a HUGE influx of new people. Most not serious modelers making all those requests to the few who had info... I'm sure it was overwhelming. The Flood made it a lot harder to tell the serious few from the dabblers who wanted some cool models, usually as kits. somewhere around there was when the forums got split into general and Studio Scale modeling forums.

The ONLY way to tell the serious from the dabbler was if they had actually built something - correct or not. Now the influx was not all bad. a side effect was that there were a LOT more people willing to attempt to collect reference photos, scan hard to find kit parts... Buy that stupid expensive rare kit and split the cost between. Eventually 3D model parts that were impossible to find.

But the evolution left some of the original guys with a TON of "secret" knowledge in the position of dealing with an stupid number of people that expected them to provide knowledge and expertise for the price of an email. Some of them stopped participating focusing on their own projects. Some of them embraced the challenge of having a large group of people to help them. Some of them started Replica model/prop companies. At this point in time there is more information about what part X is out there than at any point in this hobby...

But I totally understand the person that spent years acquiring the knowledge not wanting to send it out to "everyone". If for no other than the practical - as soon as kit XYZ is known to have a coveted part - the price goes out of control, as everyone and their mother tries to go get it... and it suddenly becomes scarce and hard(er) to find than it was.

So My advice - pay your dues a little bit. Build something and ask for advice. Build relationships and friendships, and you'll find that the people holding secrets really are not jerks... they just don't feel like spending their time with people who are not like-minded and willing to put in the requisite time to build the ultimate replicas. Building the ultimate accurate "anything" is a act of love, obsession, insanity... pretty much in that order. and if you're not willing to put in the effort - they are not willing to share. At least that's my experience :D as with anything that deals with people, some of the replica Sages are more approachable than others. more willing to share than others. More willing to help than others. so in short - your mileage may vary :D.

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
4' SD or 5' falcon.

Well duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Both :)

If I had to choose 5 ft Falcon but both would be awesome. Seriously who would not buy both. I ditched my RC Star Destroyer as I just don't have the patience but the Deago is not hard to build and I am learning how to do the paint.

They would sell a ton and seriously it's not that hard. Look at the Bandai. Freaking awesome model. I love mine. Brilliantly made, incredible detail. Just make each piece a lot bigger :)

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

Hey... I didn't say I wouldn't do it... just said it's intimidating! LOL :p

:D:thumbsup

Well duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Both :)

If I had to choose 5 ft Falcon but both would be awesome. Seriously who would not buy both.

I would not buy any of them. I do prefer the 32" Falcon and the 8ft a lot more than the ugly 5ft MF and 4ft ISD ! :D
But to be honest I'm not buying the DeAgo based on the 32" nor I would buy a 8ft ISD, I prefer to build them myself, much more fun ! :devil

I personally like a mixture of the two falcons myself... the 32" with some of the better 5 footer details (prime example the engine grills, don't know why they made the 32" ones flat and solid). As for the SD... I wouldn't mind if they took the 8 footer detail and shrunk it down to the 4 footer. The 4 footer leaves alot to be desired (prime example, the ball towers).

I would not buy any of them. I do prefer the 32" Falcon and the 8ft a lot more than the ugly 5ft MF and 4ft ISD ! :D
But to be honest I'm not buying the DeAgo based on the 32" nor I would buy a 8ft ISD, I prefer to build them myself, much more fun ! :devil

DEMON,...DEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil

I cast thee out!!!!!:darnkids

The 5' Falcon is a work of art inspired by God himself. If you look hard you can actually see God's presents in the model.

You are right about one thing you minion of Satan. An 8' Star Destroyer would be awesome.

I made one for my figures. It was fun.

BTW I am just kidding around. I am reasonable certain you are not a Demon,....maybe :lol

Tom

DEMON,...DEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil

I cast thee out!!!!!:darnkids

The 5' Falcon is a work of art inspired by God himself. If you look hard you can actually see God's presents in the model.

You are right about one thing you minion of Satan. An 8' Star Destroyer would be awesome.

I made one for my figures. It was fun.

BTW I am just kidding around. I am reasonable certain you are not a Demon,....maybe :lol

Tom

It wasn't the God's inspiration... it was guided by the Force! :) LOL

It wasn't the God's inspiration... it was guided by the Force! :) LOL

And who created the Force. God or George Lucas who God created. Either way, it's God

images

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back