Lexington Comic Con March 2016

kcail1

Anyone here heading to Lexington KY this March? It's mainly a Power Ranger con (with some other franchises thrown in.) The vendor scene was reasonable but I LOVED the 501st and the Cosplay photo op area is GREAT.

Met the Rogues Gallery Cosplay from Nashville TN (I believe) and they have the WHOLE crew of Avengers. All of them. Also some amazing Batm(e)n were there etc.

I'll be taking my kiddo as Captain Phasma and my Winter Soldier self will be showing up. The price is really reasonable, $28.00 for one day. Cheapest Con I go to all year.

Check it out.

http://www.lexingtoncomiccon.com/

kcail1

I went last year and the actual building is odd... but they made it work. There is a micro-mall as part of the convention center, and a mall-esque food court as well, which looks strange to me. There is an upstairs area which has a HUGE cosplay props/photo area with a TARDIS box, various Con type backdrops etc. And they have tables and chairs... beautiful chairs you can sit at.... sit.. oh my aching feet, and watch the world go by, which is cool.

The main floor was a bit crowded last year like the tried to shove too many vendors into the space, but there was definitely something for everyone there. The 501st puts on a CRAZY cool display like Shoot the Trooper for a $1 (with a nerf gun) SO SATISFYING, and all the money goes to charity. The Mandalorian Mercs also are there and have a great display as well.

It is REALLY heavy Power Rangers oriented, but that's how the con started... so I can let that slide. Also, the Rogues Gallery (a Nashville TN group of Avengers, and Batman) will probably be there. They always put on a spectacle.

Hope that helps. We enjoyed it a lot last year.

kcail1

This will be the first year I'm not attending this show, due to time and money. Believe me, it's not for a lack of desire to go. I've been able to head down with my brother and nephew, and then his family, and watch the show grow. While it's very Power Ranger-centric, they also have a few Doctor's on the list this year, and the costume game there is very good.

If you're from the area, or even within a few hours driving distance, it's a really good con to check out.

Yes, I agree the costumes are very impressive for not a "Large City" con. And I love the upstairs where you can just hang and watch it all unfold.

Sorry you can't make it.

kcail1

This will be my first year going in costume. I think with all of the classic Doctors this year, I will put together a quick 4th (Tom Baker era) Doctor just for kicks. My son will do an 11 (Matt Smith), and his friends will go as various other Doctors-- none of us too precise or serious reproductions though, just for fun. This will also be my first time showing my face at a con in costume (always been under a bucket or a mask before), so I am a bit nervous about that.

11169530_1420998638217389_7370004166329379549_o.jpg
The above pic is me and my kids at the most recent SW Celebration in California.

The Power Rangers and wrestlers always did strike me as a little odd, but it is kinda nice when there is a little something for everyone and the lines aren't too long to meet the people you want to meet. It's also kinda funny to just be walking down an aisle and hear the wrestlers start shouting out some of their famous catchphrases a couple of rows over. A little quirkiness gives each local con its own flavor, I think. Looks like they are bringing Roxy the Rancor to LexCon this year, too.

This will be my first year going in costume. I think with all of the classic Doctors this year, I will put together a quick 4th (Tom Baker era) Doctor just for kicks. My son will do an 11 (Matt Smith), and his friends will go as various other Doctors-- none of us too precise or serious reproductions though, just for fun. This will also be my first time showing my face at a con in costume (always been under a bucket or a mask before), so I am a bit nervous about that.

View attachment 598953
The above pic is me and my kids at the most recent SW Celebration in California.

The Power Rangers and wrestlers always did strike me as a little odd, but it is kinda nice when there is a little something for everyone and the lines aren't too long to meet the people you want to meet. It's also kinda funny to just be walking down an aisle and hear the wrestlers start shouting out some of their famous catchphrases a couple of rows over. A little quirkiness gives each local con its own flavor, I think. Looks like they are bringing Roxy the Rancor to LexCon this year, too.

Great family photo! I have only gone go cons in costume, Hogwarts being my first cosplay ever at Wizard World . I agree the Power Rangers is their "Thing". As I understand it the con founder's son loves PR and so he build a con around his kids' love. I can understand that. It seems the WWE is making an inroads to Cons (Thanks Stephen Amell) and that's ok too... I mean Cons are for Pop Culture as well as the "traditional' nerd fest.

The Winter Soldier (me) and Captain Phasma (my kid) will be there in force. See you there!

kcail1

Wizard World Chicago was my first ever con in costume, way back when I first joined the 501st. I've done several cons in costume, but never one where my face wasn't covered and this one is a local con, so I could bump into people at this one who only know me from my job and real life.

One of the reasons I've never not worn a mask or helmet before is because I'm so fat and would never look anything like the original character. But this is just for kicks and I won't get to do many more things like this with my kids before they grow up or are completely embarrassed by me,

Were you there in your Winter Soldier last year?

Wizard World Chicago was my first ever con in costume, way back when I first joined the 501st. I've done several cons in costume, but never one where my face wasn't covered and this one is a local con, so I could bump into people at this one who only know me from my job and real life.

One of the reasons I've never not worn a mask or helmet before is because I'm so fat and would never look anything like the original character. But this is just for kicks and I won't get to do many more things like this with my kids before they grow up or are completely embarrassed by me,

Were you there in your Winter Soldier last year?

Yes, I was the Winter Soldier! Did we meet? (I've changed/worked on my costume since last year). There were three of us that I saw/recall.

The 501st! I love their group and that is awesome you are a member. As for meeting people in real life at cons it doesn't bother me and in fact, sometimes becomes a great point of conversation with co workers. Almost all my co-workers know I do cons and that I dress up. In my opinion, if they can't handle knowing I dress up, then that's their issue. I mean, how many UoL or UK fans do WE have to put up with (and their chatter). If you're a UoL or UK fan, no offense. I get riled up by the NFL.

Don't worry about your body image. I'm a woman cosplaying a MAN, who is in real life 10 years younger than I and in much better shape. :) (chuckle) Your Jedi costume is really top notch amazing. I made one for my kid which she grew out of in a year an a half. This year, she wanted Captain Phasma ... so she's Captain Phasma.

Your kids should never be embarrassed by Parenting Done Right (which IS Star Wars). My almost 13 year old is hooked for life.

Regardless, if we bump into each other, hopefully we'll introduce. I'll be the assassin standing next to the shiny Phasma Saturday.

Kcail1

Just went to LCTC yesterday and it was bigger than last year. We drive in from Louisville, and so always make plans to get there early. Every year there is a 3K Shamrock Shamble and then the St. Patricks Day Parade. Also, Disney Princesses' on Ice. We arrived about 8:45 and had no problem getting our wrist bands from the Pre-Pay lines. I looked at Twitter later in the day (around noon and on) and apparently there were a LOT of dissatisfied customers. I will say this, the organizer DID WARN people to come early, stay late but I am sure there are always improvements to be made within the system.

My and my kid's experience were just fine. There were some tight spots, but the vendors seemed of a better variety and quality than in years past. There were tons of fandoms present but no one clear majority, although lots of Whovians and people wearing Star Wars shirts were present. Not as many Power Rangers in costume etc this year, which was a bit strange being they had every single Ranger I can think of there.

The 501st were magnificent and there was a LIVE R2D2 -- first one I've EVER SEEN. I have never fangirled so hard over an animatronic droid.

We met up with some familiar friends The Rogues' Gallery from Nashville TN. They had Cap, Hawkeye, Wonderwoman, Ant Man, Sharon Carter (SHIELD) Batman, Bucky Barnes and several others present.

Overall-- it was crowded but I enjoyed it. Always get there early. Best advice for any con.

kcail1

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4599.jpgIMG_4586.jpgIMG_4595.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4620.jpgIMG_4615.jpgIMG_4604.jpgIMG_4602.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4649.jpgIMG_4641.jpgIMG_4638.jpgIMG_4627.jpgIMG_4620.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4653.jpgIMG_4649.jpg

We were one of those casualties of longer lines, but still it moved quickly and we only waited an hour to check-in in the pre-paid line. Sorry we didn't catch you there, but it was very crowded.

4_and_11_dalek.JPG

4_Solo_Tardis.JPG 4_and_11_tardis.JPG

We were one of those casualties of longer lines, but still it moved quickly and we only waited an hour to check-in in the pre-paid line. Sorry we didn't catch you there, but it was very crowded.

View attachment 603017

View attachment 603018 View attachment 603019

You know... seeing your photos, *think* we passed by. There was a Dr. Who with a K-9 unit on a wood pole pushing around we saw a lot of (sorry, I'm not a Whovian.). Most of our time was spent on the second floor. We arrived at 8:30 am, and didn't have to wait at all for our wrist bands. I did see a marked increase around noon-1 pm and that's when things started to back up and get crowded. All the other cosplayers I talked to said there as a *definite* increase in attendance this year. I think the venue has to expand. Then Need the Rupp floor or else limit ticket sales. WIth Disney Princesses on ice, I don't see how that could happen.

Well, Jarod has a year to figure it out. Overall, I was happy as was my kid. So no complaints here.

Kcail1

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back