Scott D's Custom CanonSaber (Model Y Conversion/Pics)

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that is beautiful. :thumbsup

Like Seth said, I had to cut mine and thin it with the bench grinder to make it fit.

I'm repeating myself from the Custom Saber Thread, but if I had known about Canon X's in my earlier days on the RPF, I'd have a dozen of them by now, sitting alongside my PeakSabers.™

Yeah its one sweet flashgun.
i love the control box on this thing.

Oh one more thing-

regarding the little screws that go near the lip of the flash tube- obviously the screws cant go in there due to the shroud covering the hole, and the inner chromed tubing.
i could drill a hole through but i dont think ill be able to figure out the thread size on those tiny screws or find a tap small enough to thread the holes.

what did you do to remedy this?

Oh one more thing-

regarding the little screws that go near the lip of the flash tube- obviously the screws cant go in there due to the shroud covering the hole, and the inner chromed tubing.
i could drill a hole through but i dont think ill be able to figure out the thread size on those tiny screws or find a tap small enough to thread the holes.

what did you do to remedy this?
I used the smallest bit in my drill index to make the holes in the emitter shroud and tapped them using the screws themselves. That'll work with soft metals like brass.

I knew I'd never be able to pull it off so I find a way on each one to cover mine. Yours is already sweet as can be. I wish I could get a finish like that!

Honestly, I just dropped some superglue in those screw holes, and a drop that I let run along the rim. I like the look of them open and the shroud is a really tight fit anyway!

Nice work by the way, I may have had to sand mine down too, but very little.

Thanks guys, i think i got it down.
looks like the hard part is over.

i made a small change. Instead of cutting the lip off the shroud i grinded along the edge of the lip until it fit nicely in the flash tube.
another downside is the hope for the thumbsrew is now one of the holes for the smaller screws.
im going to have to make the thimbscrew hole bigger and figure out the the right thread count so i can tap it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...C-9820-48D9-8C3F-4DF66568138E_zpsosaykngs.jpg

I have this flash... what did you use for the back half? Looks great!

The bottom half is an ordeal.

Some people have been lucky to get full length ones, others not so much. Do a search for CANON and you'll see a lot of people have had different methods of fabricating lower halves.

I thought I had the perfect half, but it's slightly to big in diameter... chrome pipe is an option, but it looks too shiney next to the look of the top half.

I know somewhere someone bought tubing from a company... but now I can't find the post. The search bar is a pain.

I'll repeat my earlier post and say that if you can get your hands on one, a Heiland Synchro-Special (not a Synchro-Mite) is a near perfect fit using the threaded bottom end. The finish is a pretty good match for the Model Y as well.

I used a Tower mini flash (Heiland 2 cell knock off) for two of mine by marrying the ends via tripod mounts.

I took an alu pipe, cut notches in it so it can bend inward, and shoved it up my Canon's hole and pop riveted it together before it could say anything. Take that as you will.

Last edited:
I thought I'd post this here instead of the other custom saber build thread because it seems more appropriate...

In the other thread I said that the Canon Model X just begs to be made into a lightsaber and the emitter array I just cobbled together proves it I think....

Stealing the photo from @DARTH SABER, once you disassemble the flash bulb array, you get this:

FF3485D1-482E-431F-B41C-61D864708E3A_zpsalgkerji.jpg

Next, all I did was take the metal 'cup', the screws that were used to connect it to the body, the black plastic ring spacer (not pictured above), and the metl 'prong' set and did this:

C20751B9-5BF7-41EA-832D-C08A1CBFDDC2_zpslo2twxc4.jpg

4B3E540A-1C01-419D-A2AD-E76EE200EFC3_zpsq6ozqotm.jpg

And because the 'cup' just naturally clamps into the flash body... you get this:

9891EA84-3A19-465C-9130-D1A00C363AAC_zpsys7za7c2.jpg

8937AC21-D4A5-4632-B2AC-767C989809E7_zpsvaf8av0z.jpg

E7B86E49-7C7C-4764-8E29-02E4C9D4BE3C_zpsg3qltaw5.jpg

It's actually pretty elegant if I do say so myself... the cup holds the emitter array in place and the thumb screw holds the chrome sleeve in place. The screws are too long, but I kind of like it... they remind me of pilot light igniters.

No drilling, no glue, no additional cutting required other than needing to tap one of the smaller holes on the chrome sleeve to fit the thumb screw.

Now all I need are some of those funky grips that @Scott D uses to finish this puppy off!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back