Hagrid Boots and costume

ATL Kenobi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I figured the key element for a good Hagrid costume would be the boots. I started with finding reference photos.
attachment.php

I took a one day class at the local Tandy Leather store and I was ready to start. First I made a wood form for the "nose" of the boot and wet formed the leather around it.
attachment.php

Then a form for the rest of the boot and more wet forming.
attachment.php

Once those parts dried, I started stitching them together.
attachment.php

Then I cut out the soles (I wear American size 13 EE), and stitch them on.
attachment.php

Sewed on the tounges, punched holes for 3/8" eyelets and started applying stain.
attachment.php

The finished boots with a 1 gallon paint can for size reference.
attachment.php

That's a younger brother wearing the completed costume. Fortunately, I can't see the Thestrals either.

Many thanks to Chuck Dorsett of Tandy leather for his patience to provide me the knowledge and motivation to fashion the leather!

ATL

Attachments

• 0 reference.png
    0 reference.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5,602
  • 1 form 1.jpg
    1 form 1.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 1,922
  • 2 form 2.jpg
    2 form 2.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 1,990
  • 3 Stitch 1.jpg
    3 Stitch 1.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 1,863
  • 4 Stitch 2.jpg
    4 Stitch 2.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 2,072
  • 5 Finish.jpg
    5 Finish.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 1,899
  • 6 done.jpg
    6 done.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 4,694
Last edited:
Wow! That is one of the most unique builds I have seen. You did a fantastic job! Well done indeed!

I just love Hagrid; he's my favorite HP character! Your brother looks great too!(y)cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty cool, I am doing my own Hagrid trying to get done for Halloween. I was looking at your design for shoes if i have time and I already grabbed the parisol kit from your other post. Really inspired me. I was taking screen shots looking at details so I could adjust the pattern i found for his jacket and i noticed something about his shoes that you might find interesting and that doesn't show on the prop pics you have.
Hagrid shoes and pant seem.jpg

Looks like a buckle strap across the top. In the red shirt pic above it looks like there is a lip extending out from the bottom of his pants over the top of the shoe..probably related to the same piece? Do you know anything about this?

Also, I have been having a very hard time locating a buckle where did you find yours? Do you know the size they used? I have been assuming it is 3 to 4 inches but i can't locate anything that size that looks the same. Most have been either center bar, Santa/pirate square buckles and most are super cheap thin stuff that looks horrible. If not they are like 30+ dollars and aren't close enough to justify it. The only option i am left with is making one but not sure how to make a half decent looking one let alone strong enough to function. Anyways. I appreciate your help and your posts +1's

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back