What is the appeal of Replica Prop Collecting?

I've explained it to people this way, "Have you ever seen a movie that some object or item, doodad, weapon or other just stood out to you that you were like, "Man that is so cool!" Now, what would you say if I told you could own one that looked like it?" Sometimes I've gotten lost explaining the history of or where the unconverted item came from and even with my excitement, they still seem kind of lost.

I've found that it seems easier to explain and they understand better when you relate it to something they may have enjoyed seeing in a movie. In any case, most people react with a "Wow, that's cool" than looking at you like a weirdo when you just go into details about specific items lol.

I've explained it to people this way, "Have you ever seen a movie that some object or item, doodad, weapon or other just stood out to you that you were like, "Man that is so cool!" Now, what would you say if I told you could own one that looked like it?" Sometimes I've gotten lost explaining the history of or where the unconverted item came from and even with my excitement, they still seem kind of lost.

I've found that it seems easier to explain and they understand better when you relate it to something they may have enjoyed seeing in a movie. In any case, most people react with a "Wow, that's cool" than looking at you like a weirdo when you just go into details about specific items lol.
I can definitely relate to that look you get when after you told them from what movie it was and they say cool and then you start going into more detail than most people are comfortable with.

What's the appeal/point of collecting anything? I have so many books that I'm out of horizontal spots to put them, but damned if I'll ever get rid of more than the occasional volume here and there, reluctantly. I'll never re-read most of them. I loathe clutter. But still, there they are. And I'd die before switching to ebooks. I'd sooner take up kitten punching than read on a computer.

Which is to say there's no real rhyme or reason to what objects a person decides to surround themselves with and derives pleasure from. At least it provides decoration, a personal expression of your interests.

The heart wants what it wants.

EDIT: A lot of people talk about "the chase." I have some rare and valuable books, and some have taken some work to track down. But the pleasure for me is in the owning, not the chase. Having said that, as I at least READ the books, they offer a little more than being a simple "object." So I might not be in the same place as the dude who endlessly scours ebay or waits outside Toys R Us for the latest action fig. The collection, at least initially, is "useful" in that it provides entertainment, information, or instruction.

EDIT EDIT: I never answered the question I guess. I also love "movie magic" and am a nostalgia junkie. Furthermore, I like making things. So lightsabers and so forth feed that. Often once I've made a prop I'll simply turn around and sell it though. I don't have many laying about.

Last edited:
What's the appeal/point of collecting anything? I have so many books that I'm out of horizontal spots to put them, but damned if I'll ever get rid of more than the occasional volume here and there, reluctantly. I'll never re-read most of them. I loathe clutter. But still, there they are. And I'd die before switching to ebooks. I'd sooner take up kitten punching than read on a computer.

Which is to say there's no real rhyme or reason to what objects a person decides to surround themselves with and derives pleasure from. At least it provides decoration, a personal expression of your interests.

The heart wants what it wants.

EDIT: A lot of people talk about "the chase." I have some rare and valuable books, and some have taken some work to track down. But the pleasure for me is in the owning, not the chase. Having said that, as I at least READ the books, they offer a little more than being a simple "object." So I might not be in the same place as the dude who endlessly scours ebay or waits outside Toys R Us for the latest action fig. The collection, at least initially, is "useful" in that it provides entertainment, information, or instruction.

EDIT EDIT: I never answered the question I guess. I also love "movie magic" and am a nostalgia junkie. Furthermore, I like making things. So lightsabers and so forth feed that. Often once I've made a prop I'll simply turn around and sell it though. I don't have many laying about.
That's funny, my main collection of objects outside of props and cd's/dvd's/LP's are rare antique books. I guess they are similar in that it is a collection of historical media. I don't know why but theres something magical about old books in the same way there is about props! It's living history in a way. I wonder how many prop collectors also collect books? I bet there is more overlap than most think.

I don't think there is really an appeal, it's just the quest for having things you enjoy looking at and that make you happy. For some folks it helps them relive happier times, such as for me it's collecting video games and 80s memorabilia, and for others it's a link for them to their favorite movies. Humans have always had this built in urge to collect even if it was just shiny stones they found or later on art. For some folks the pure materialism may make them happy as some of the high end items require you to have done very well in life or made a lot of sacrifices to get the item so that alone makes the item a sign of achievement. For some folks it's a challenge such as making a screen accurate saber from original parts. For some there's the addictive part of it, one part that I tend to have personal issues with over the years, where you can't stop collecting no matter what.
There's just as many reasons we collect as there are people I think, every reason is a slight variation on what other reasons folks have.

You said it best man! Its a very nostalgic thing to me. Im very much attached to movies so having pieces of those movies replica or not is important to me.

I'm not really into it at all. I have a few pieces, but all the replica props I build, I sell, not because I have to, but I find it very validating that other people value my skills as a replica prop builder.......I didn't really answer the question.....but I had fun doing it:lol

For me it’s the Art of it. Media drives most of the passion to create today; much like religious devotion drove craftsmen and painters of the Middle Ages or the Renaissance. Recreating something from a movie or television show that has inspired you in some way is the force that drives your creativity. If you didn’t have that inspiration, it would just be a job to replicate something and not a piece of artwork, which I think most people here consider their creations.

Like others have said, the doing of it is as satisfying as the thing itself.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back