Escape Pod Mk2 single occupant (original design)

mung

Sr Member
In the middle of the Escape Pod project I did a trip to the local charity shops and came away with another dustbuster
this time a different brand and shape and made of lovely ABS.
I do not ever bother attempting to use any shapes made with HDPE ( high density polyethylene) or polypropylene
as they cannot be reliably glued, sanded, filled or painted and to attempt to do so is going to be wasted effort.

I was thinking the first escape pod was a bit oversize and was more aptly described by a member of the RPF forum, Captain April
as a shuttle pod, so I thought this dustbuster could make a one person pod more in keeping with the original intent.

One of the other charity shop finds was a massive pink Barbie Jet Plane (which will become a future project)
from which I salvaged the blue engine mouldings which I shortened by removing a section from the middle.
The engines are fitted together with a box structure of 2mm styrene at an angle which matches the angle of
the lower side of the dustbuster shell which has been gutted of its internals.

Slabs of 10mm and 6mm grey pvc make up the support rod housing underneath and at the rear.
A hole was threaded 3/8 whitworth to match the 3/8 whitworth bolt I use as a support rod.
Wiring for the engine lights and the cockpit lights is also installed and hooked up to a couple of 12volt DC connectors.
The PVC is glued with thick super glue to heavily roughened surfaces.

Some kit part detailing of the back of the engine structure was done.

With all the wiring tested the two halves could be permanently brought together with the aid of the original screws,
and the engine assembly glued on with the usual Methylene chloride solvent.
The bottom panel of the engine bay was made removable and detailed.
You can see the round bottom DC connector next to the support rod access which uses a rectangular hole that
already existed in the housing.

Below you can make out the rear DC connector on the right hand side. It should be inconspicuous in amongst
the rest of the nurnies.

An oval shaped cockpit window was added. The acrylic sheet clear material was softened with a heat gun and
pressed with a cloth pad into the back of the dust compartment access door so that it took on the compound
curvature before the hole was cut. It was then glued into position with solvent and masked up both sides.
I'm using scotch brand fine edge masking tape here which does as it says, it works very well.

I have also added some fins at the rear. I was toying with some wings of some sort but decided it made it like
too "aircraft" like which is not what I want.

The cockpit has had some minimal details added and a chair constructed.
I also made up a dashboard which is lit by two bright white leds shining through some roughly sanded acrylic
sheet to diffuse the light a bit. The leds have a 470 ohm resistor wired in series calculated for the 12 volt supply.
The front surface of the dash has a piece of black 1mm styrene with a screen shape and 1.5mm holes drilled into it
to stand in as switches and indicator lights.
The back of the frosted acrylic has then been painted with varying hues of Tamiya clear colours to give the
multicoloured effect.
Its crude but should be enough when seen through the cockpit window.
The light from the screen lights the pilot.

I had a search in my local Bunnings hardware store for something suitable for the engine lights and came across
these 12 volt HPM brand led garden bulbs.
They are designed for multiple fixtures and come apart to be adapted for what ever housing required.
They were perfect for what I needed and come with a suitable bell shaped nozzle, I just removed the end lens and
the internal reflector which just all press fits together.
They also have the standard bi pin connector so I added a couple of the ceramic connectors I have in stock to the
rear of the engines and plugged in the lights.

Next up is paneling the hull and a final detailing pass but before that I am going to complete the first escape pod project.
More soon...

You have a great eye for shape and design, it reminds me of a Ron Cobb design for the original Alien:
Cobb-Escape Pod.jpg
Very cool.

Its been a while since I have updated any of my build threads.
Unfortunately I have been laid off at work and have been looking for employment.
What a soul destroying process that is, with no luck so far and no feedback to learn what I am doing
wrong or how I can improve.
Consequently having a lot of time on my hands (but no funds to purchase modeling supplies), I have
been beavering away at a few of the other incomplete projects.
One of them is the kit bash shuttle project which I am in the latter stages of the painting process.
While I wait for the Humbrol enamels to dry thoroughly and before hitting it with the weathering phase,
I have been paneling and detailing the escape Pod Mk2.
I believe I have finished that process but you cant really tell for sure until the first coat of grey primer goes on.
I am going to have to wait until the bad weather clears up before attempting any spraying of primer as it's
very windy and stormy here at the moment.

Here's some pics of the bare plastic pre primer stage.

P1011808.jpg

P1011810.jpg

P1011812.jpg

P1011813.jpg

P1011814.jpg

P1011809.jpg

P1011818.jpg

I made up the landing skids and made the front one compress with a spring inside two telescoping brass tubes.
The outer tube has a small slot and the inner tube has a pin press fitted into a hole that slides in the slot and
stops the lower tube from falling out.

P1011815.jpg

P1011816.jpg

The engine intakes have some perforated aluminium screens salvaged from an old ghetto blaster.
They are retained with some evergreen strips glued into the recess.

P1011811.jpg

Once the weather clears up I will hit it with some primer and post some more pics.

More soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the Escape Pod Mk2 with the first coat of grey primer.
I used a "sandable" primer which is a darker grey than the standard one.
I did add a bit more detail around the engine nozzles and the rear landing gear winglets before spraying the the primer.
There is a little bit of spot filling and sanding to do next and I need to devise a suitable paint scheme for it.

P1011819.jpg

P1011820.jpg

P1011821.jpg

P1011824.jpg

P1011825.jpg

P1011827.jpg

More soon...

Was out and about today, but did think 'haven't heard from Mung lately, wonder how it's going?'- sorry to hear about the work woes, been there done that, just have to keep plugging away.

Great to see progress of your builds, helps pass the time!

:)

Normally an object so recognizable is extremely difficult to disguise, especially when it is the focal point in the build, but you've done a fine job. It would even be better if the mini vacuum still worked. :lol

TazMan2000

This is an amazing build Mung!! It's got such amazing curves. Lol. I'm so impressed how you can turn an old DustBuster into a piece of art. Can't even recognise it anymore. Your work is so much like Martin bowers. So creative!!!
Dave A

Nice work! It's a fantastic design. I really enjoyed following your process and I'm looking forward to seeing how you paint it.

DUDE! you're maiking me look bad!!

I can't even finish a kit lately and you're making spaceships out of a dustbuster and a Barbie plane!!?????

Lol, Truly awesome and inspiring! thank you for sharing!

Thomas

Looks great with the primer. Really ties it all together and camouflages the original parts beautifully. I reckon that would look great with a Chris Foss style paint scheme.
BTW, best of luck with the job hunt, fingers crossed for you. :thumbsup :thumbsup

I set about coming up with a paint scheme for the Escape Pod Mk2 the same way I tackled the design of the paint
scheme for the Kitbash Shuttle project, namely taking the side view image of the grey primer model and messing
about in Photoshop overlaying colours till I had something I liked.

The other deciding factor was that I had to make use of the colours I had on hand.
Below is the original grey photo side view I started with and then the two rough versions I came up with.

P1011821.jpg

EscapePodMk2_colour_mockup_A.jpg

EscapePodMk2_colour_mockup_B.jpg

The two versions are the same colours but with the reciprocal placement.
Because the Shuttle pod was already orange and I liked the mostly blue version best I chose that for the model.
I had a spray can of Blue metallic car paint on hand.
I don't usually like metallic car paints on a model because the metal flake is way over scale but it is what I had to
hand and as it turned out once the weathering took off a bit of the gloss, I think it turned out OK.

P1011925.jpg

The white markings where sprayed on using white primer. The numeral 2 was done by printing out the computer font
onto paper, sticking that paper onto the back of some wide masking tape and carefully cutting along the outline with
a scalpel blade.
The masking tape was then carefully peeled off the cutting mat and transferred to the model.
In the photoshop mock up I had a couple of letters "EP" for Escape Pod but I found they were just too tiny to cut by
hand and peel of the mat without ripping apart, so I abandoned them.
The black lettering on the tail is some more of the old Letraset dry transfer lettering I recently re-discovered in a box
at home and the red pinstripe at the rear is a bit of ancient Letraline found in the same stash.

P1011928.jpg

P1011927.jpg

P1011926.jpg

The weathering was done as per my usual technique described previously.
I also painted up one of the cheap figures I found in Target for the cockpit occupant and added some control panels
and a joystick mounted on the sides of the seat.

P1011907.jpg

P1011909.jpg

P1011904.jpg

P1011906.jpg

P1011910.jpg

P1011912.jpg

P1011916.jpg

P1011922.jpg

P1011924.jpg

That brings this project finally to a close but there are plenty more on the way.
Thanks for looking, more soon...

Mung, you are 100%, undeniably, unquestionably, beyond a shadow of a doubt, scientifically, certifiably INSANE.

And I LOVE IT!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back