She'll make point five beyond the speed of light

shaihulud_42

Jumping on the Falcon trend here, posting the progress of my DeAgo Falcon, along with an opinion question out the gate. I started the build early 2015 when things were released, but as I wasn't sure if I was doing the interior hold I wasn't doing much with it beyond building up the lower superstructure. A few months back, went ahead and ordered Tony's cockpit parts from Shapeways as an enhancement.

Now, here's the conundrum I've been trying to decide the past few weeks. With the Shapeways cockpit walls, I haven't been able to come up with a "good" way to put in the line pattern found on the walls of the cockpit. The latest attempt I'm relatively pleased with and that is constructing the lines with 0.3mm styrene as painting <.3mm thickness lines at this scale was untenable (at least for me). Given this approach, some compromises to the exact pattern had to be made since even at 0.3mm, things don't quite "fit" right in the line/grid structure found on the cockpit walls. This is where arguably the ParaGrafix cockpit would excel as those decals over the PE become a much more accurate image of the cockpit walls. With all this inside the cockpit, behind the chairs with soon to be figures in them, and the lighting itself, this might be all moot, however, just curious if anyone has any thoughts to add. To complicate it, if the choice is the ParaGrafix route, I would definitely be keeping the rest of the printed cockpit parts along with adding the printed overhead controls.

I'll also say upfront that I'm not attempting to make the cockpit match the 32" miniature as I'd rather it represent the on-screen seen cockpit. The rest of the model, however, will be keeping in the spirit of the miniature, albeit I'm still on the fence about making an appropriate glass for guns/cockpit.

Thanks for looking and I welcome any input.

- Ryan

IMG_1074.jpgIMG_1213.jpgIMG_1210.jpgIMG_1205.jpgIMG_1198.jpgIMG_1190.jpgIMG_1186.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I have Tony's awesome printed cockpit parts as well and was wondering the same thing. My approach was going to be using either a white or silver colored pencil once the panel were painted, using a straight edge and draw the lines on. Not sure if this will work as I am not that far along yet.

But, I think your method will be just fine as viewed through the cockpit windows from a distance.

So I've mainly been working on the Viper while waiting on more parts and the updated figures to come in. I'm happy with the results for the new split sprue 1/43 versions so will be pressing with that. I also ordered the ParaGrafix cockpit and am pretty sure I'm going to do a hybrid approach. Put that cockpit together the other night and the sidewalls seems short relative to Tony's and the set (in front the side light bars) so my plan at the moment is going to be chop off that part from the walls section of the 3d printed part and attach it to the photoetch part. Given I'm then cannibalizing the printed part, I'll probably cut off various greeble parts (the slider switches on Chewie's side, etc) to plant on top of the decals on the photoetch. That will all be merged with Tony's cockpit cone and floor/chair parts. That's the plan for the moment at least, so we'll see how that works going forward. I'll get some photos up later this week/next week as I get moving on that mixture of components to see how it turns out.

With the arrival of pack 11/12, got the underside all assembled except the gearbox part that covers BP-17 in case there is any resolution on what that part is incorrect. Leaving it so I can still replace that part if necessary, which means not securing down the final rear gearbox or attaching some of the other detail. Here's a couple photos of it assembled (nothing new from anyone else's as I haven't started a repaint yet), but did replace the gun canopy's and just have a turret sitting there staged. Still a little cleanup on that print to be done before ready to paint.

IMG_1628.jpg IMG_1630.jpg

- Ryan

Last edited:
Made some progress on the hybrid cockpit today. Using the photoetch set, and building the ring a bit more forward to combine it with Tony's modified cockpit. Also, using the 3d printed wall set to extra some elements that will add dimension on top of the parts being built and on top of the decals once in place on the photoetch. Sidewalls and floor/console are just spot placed in the cockpit right now for fit, but looks like this setup will work, just going to take some more sizing tweaks on the being built up between the photoetch and front section.

As always, thanks for looking.

IMG_1679.jpg
These pieces removed from the cutout section will attach to the newly built part of the cockpit walls:
IMG_1709.jpg IMG_1715.jpg IMG_1693.jpg
IMG_1683.jpg IMG_1689.jpg

- Ryan

Last edited:
I am following this build with great interest, you are doing much that I had also planned to do (like adding the extra depth to the cockpit and using a combination of PE and 3D parts)...

I am interested in what you are planning for the details on the back and sidewall PE set as well as your lighting plans...also curious about how well the extended cockpit fits in the ship now, I'm guessing it sticks back further past where the original wall was?...How are you going to light the cockpit? With the supplied LED board or custom lighting in the back and sides? Or do you plan on using EL sheet?

Please keep us updated, I would like to see more...Great stuff here!!

I am following this build with great interest, you are doing much that I had also planned to do (like adding the extra depth to the cockpit and using a combination of PE and 3D parts)...

I am interested in what you are planning for the details on the back and sidewall PE set as well as your lighting plans...also curious about how well the extended cockpit fits in the ship now, I'm guessing it sticks back further past where the original wall was?...How are you going to light the cockpit? With the supplied LED board or custom lighting in the back and sides? Or do you plan on using EL sheet?

Please keep us updated, I would like to see more...Great stuff here!!

So some of it I'm still working out as I go. I can confirm that with this it definitely extends further into the corridor; though that is a side effect of Tony's printed cockpit and the corresponding internal floor being longer. That accounts for the spacing difference needed between the PE and sidewalls. On the test fit, everything seems fine, might not even need to cut down the internal mounting holes of the cockpit tube, but not going to say that for sure until everything is in place. So far trick is if using the DeAgo back wall as the the template for backing the PE, it won't quite fit with Tony's cockpit floor. So have to cut out the door frame a bit more, and raise the back up (relative to DeAgo floor/back mount points). I'm using the upper piece that comes flush with the windows and the flat "counter" parts that align along the side wall of the PE with the printed sidewalls to get my vertical alignment. Everything fits with that in mind, just no good vertical mount alignment points yet.

I'll point out those alignment points in the next few days with a few photos to show how they all fit together. Also need to still either try to color match the decal grey for the extension, or worst case, scanned them in to have the base grey and make details if needed for the extension. Need to do some digging on screenshots to see exactly what goes in there relative to what the decals provide for the PE. Part of me says doesn't matter since odds of seeing it are slim to none in the final assembly with all the chairs in there, but since I'm already this far in, might as well go all the way.

As for lightning, I'm probably going to try the DeAgo board first, since retaining the door keeps it a mount point, but being so far back in the cockpit tube, I haven't checked to see if it will fit. I also want to make some of the back wall lights blink as seen on screen, so might just ditch the board and do a combo of fiber optic for the blinkers and other LED/strip LED placed around for the rest lights. I need to map out all the blinkers/colors to see what will work best. There will also be lights under the console that I still need to work out, probably one more SMD LEDs suck up there to illuminate the scope and other various controls. Just trying to get the basic rework of cockpit done before I worry about that though.

- Ryan

Made some progress on the cockpit. Everything fits at this point, now its just the final blending of the new wall parts into the PE. Also started getting the lightning installed in the front console as well. Need to match the grey from the decals first before I can get the grey panels on the new part and on the main control console painted. I also doubt DeAgo is going to replace the one panel missing notches so I started adding styrene to that to blend in and cut a new edge.

IMG_1782.jpg IMG_1767.jpg IMG_1783.jpg
IMG_1760.jpg IMG_1762.jpg IMG_1755.jpg

- Ryan

Last edited:
Took advantage of the holiday today to get some more done on the cockpit. Couldn't resist trying to do the pinstripes on the console and relatively pleased with how it turned out. Need to see if I can sand it down slightly so its not as raised, but otherwise adds that extra kick it was missing. Also finished up the PE side of things and started adding the greebles to the front area. Now need to do the fill on all the holes prior to putting on the decals and doing that dimenson/lightning steps. Given where I'm at now, I don't think I'll be using the default light board, but probably a combination of a constructed "light panel" and fiber optic for some of the smaller sections that need more distinct colors and/or blink. I'll see once the decals are in place though how best to proceed with that. As always, thanks for looking.

IMG_1858.jpg IMG_1856.jpg IMG_1827.jpg
IMG_1831.jpg IMG_1841.jpg IMG_1849.jpg

- Ryan

Last edited:
Great work, Ryan.

Would you mind getting a bit granular regarding your technique on painting the console?
I've got the same Shapeways piece.

Did you mask off the black to paint the grey?
Unfortunately, you've inspired me and my skill-set is lacking, to say the least.

Thanks!

-Dickie

Great work, Ryan.

Would you mind getting a bit granular regarding your technique on painting the console?
I've got the same Shapeways piece.

Did you mask off the black to paint the grey?
Unfortunately, you've inspired me and my skill-set is lacking, to say the least.

Thanks!

-Dickie

Sure, can't say there was really any special technique though. Basically just airbrushed it black first for a good set of light blocking across the console. I then did the grey by hand since with all the switches/raised detail it didn't seem practical to try and mask off to airbrush. They grey specifically was a 50% Tamiya Deck Tan and 50% MM Dark Gull Grey. That seemed to match the decal grey to my eyes. After it was all painted, then I scratched off the paint from the raised switches with a slightly dull blade (tip was broken, so a nice flat surface to scrape with). LEDs were placed up inside the console from underneath. The pinstripe route was .3mm plastistrut that basically just dip one end into CA, then place on there. Build up parts of the pattern and trim as needed.

Made some progress here this weekend with the decals. All the decals are in place and been shot with some flat gloss to seal everything in. Now, with adjusting this all to the Shapeways floor, found that the door had to be extended as well. Additionally, the PE door set doesn't really have any space between the padding and the door (even though it is all offset from the back if using the DeAgo door), so scrapped the DeAgo door and building up the delta within the PE structure. Probably going to chisel out the slots in the padding to get the additional depth as well.

Lastly, shot the cockpit with a test coat of exterior color. This was just a 50% deck tan + 50% flat white mixture. Trying to figure out the inside color of the cockpit as well; right now I sprayed it the same as exterior since some of the shots appear that color, but others look to be the same gray as the rest and just dirty. Going to dig further on this, but right now probably going to use the grey and just dirty it up. Next step, how to best light the backpanel and whether I can get away with just offset lights or whether an FO's will be needed if I try to make things blink.

IMG_1912.jpg IMG_1913.jpg IMG_1914.jpg
IMG_1920.jpg IMG_1942.jpg IMG_1949.jpg
IMG_1954.jpg IMG_1903.jpg IMG_1907.jpg
IMG_1909.jpg

- Ryan

Last edited:
Thank you Ryan!

You're my cockpit rockstar right now. Bask in the glow.

Question about the console lighting:
There are, from what my eyes are able to discern, two tubes underneath to accept fiber optics, correct?

Much like prom, I'm not at all sure where to stick my wire.

Am I missing something? There seem to be a larger variety of lights going on in yours.

Again, I really appreciate the coaching.

Cheers!

-Dickie

Thank you Ryan!

You're my cockpit rockstar right now. Bask in the glow.

Question about the console lighting:
There are, from what my eyes are able to discern, two tubes underneath to accept fiber optics, correct?

Much like prom, I'm not at all sure where to stick my wire.

Am I missing something? There seem to be a larger variety of lights going on in yours.

Again, I really appreciate the coaching.

Cheers!

-Dickie

With respect to the tubes that you mention, I personally just ignored them. I just put a few LEDs inside the console and positioned them such that everything I wanted lit up was lit up. They might have a purpose beyond structural (my first thought was a conduit for FO), but that's what worked for me.

The main work this week on the cockpit has been getting the figures all set. Not 100% done painting at this point (faces are still left), but getting there. Why I'm taking the time to do this, I still don't know but its that extra touch. And it's fun, so hey, at the end of the day isn't that what makes this all worth while. Was also an excuse to put off figuring out the final lighting strategy for the rest of the cockpit. Pretty sure I know what it's going to be, just now need to modify the stock corridor parts to smooth them out and build my light panel(s). Going through the film, while there are some lights that blink, there aren't a lot so still on the fence whether I'm going to try and make any blink. Doing the blinks will make it more annoying since then I have to section things off while now I can light the whole thing at once. Choices...

Anyhow, here's some photos of current progress. Finishing the faces and rest of figure details (various cleanup/color adjustments) this week and on to finally finishing the lighting. As always, thanks for looking.

IMG_2033.jpgIMG_2035.jpgIMG_2037.jpg
IMG_2043.jpgIMG_2066.jpgIMG_2055.jpg
IMG_2084.jpgIMG_2089.jpg

- Ryan

Small update. Had to get a few different LEDs to make the side wall lighting work, but overall happy with it. Now just a matter of getting the right intensity across the board to not be too bright at this scale. Additionally, trying to get the right color balance... depending on which source I reference the side lights are very blue (current blu ray version of Empire) or a more white (despecialized editions). Also the despec'd editions seem to have a more yellow tint to all the lights. Probably needs a bit more diffusion on the side walls at this point and maybe a very yellow tint to it all to warm it up. Going to play with some options next down that path.

IMG_2282.jpgIMG_2287.jpgIMG_2288.jpg
IMG_2296.jpg

Blu-Ray Screenshot:
cockpit_32.jpg

Despecialized Version (different scene, but shows whiter tint on primary lights)
cockpit_despec_05.jpg

- Ryan

Thanks. I'm happy with the way it is turning out. Almost got the lighting levels balanced. Basically had to add some thin styrene behind the panels to help diffuse and dim things down a bit (not the cleanest setup currently, but it's on the back side of things so will never been seen at the end). The side panels are still a slightly different color white than back though, so still working that white balance (doubt it is visible in the photos, but side is slightly bluer at the moment). Originally tried to change the tint with some clear yellow directly on the panel but that was too much; next attempt will be using another sheet of opaque styrene with some clear yellow to see if that balances it. Brightness is to the point that seams reasonable though when viewing things from outside in full light. Possibly still a bit bright but going to try it in some different lighting. Sadly not really any shots from the film that I remember that showed full size cockpit lit from outside for a brightness reference point. If anyone knows of a good scene, please let me know. I'm thinking there might be one in Jedi, but need to still look.

IMG_2305.jpgIMG_2308.jpgIMG_2309.jpg
IMG_2313.jpgIMG_2314.jpgIMG_2334.jpg

- Ryan

Here's where things sit for now. Basically all wrapped up with the cockpit, to include a C-3PO with glowing eyes. Before sealing anything up, however, I need to decide whether I want to add any glass/canopy to it, or leave it open. I know the original SS didn't have it, but it also didn't have a full up cockpit, so already deviated there. Probably going to do some tests to see how much additiona glare/lack of vision into the cockpit I get before I make the final decision. I also am in the process of fixing that nasty "dent" that is molded into the cockpit tube before things are finished. Haven't quite gotten it finished yet, but its getting closer to the original.

Lastly, still playing with options for the hull color. Tested a 1:1 mixture of MM Flat White and MM Camoflauge gray. Things seem to point that Camoflauge gray is supposed to be like the floquil grime (yet its not quite), and if the original was truly a half and half reefer white+grime, figured this might get close. It's not too bad (seen on the right side of the cockpit for a test), definitely lighter than the other mixture and the DeAgo base color. Before I settle on final, gonig to try the other recommendation I've seen which was 4:1 of Tamiya Flat White to Tamiya Deck Tan. I know the recommendations have also included insigna white, LHS doesn't have that one in stock though so been trying these combinations. If anyone else has any good base hull color thoughts, I'm happy to take them.

IMG_2418.jpgIMG_2423.jpgIMG_2434.jpg
IMG_2464.jpgIMG_2484.jpgIMG_2487.jpg
IMG_2411.jpg

- Ryan

A few updates here. I've actually been focused on the Viper more than the Falcon for the past few weeks, but did manage to make some progress in the gun turrets and starting to actually do the damage on the underside more like the real thing than the way it comes from DeAgo. One thing worth noting for anyone else doing the photoetch turrets; the decals are very transparent in this set. I originally was using a black backing and they faded into the black. When I swapped over to a grey base, everything looks great. Found it a bit odd being I used a black base for the cockpit and its essentially the same color scheme, but one of those lessons learned on this turret set that might be useful for anyone else.

I'm still on the fence of adding glass to the cockpit canopy so starting getting some masks/templates made to add the glass and see how it looks. Not going to button up the cockpit until that decision is made in case I need interior access to properly attach/etc. Going to continue refining the damage/scars on the underside as well. They are close and now have the necessary depth, just needs to be trimmed in a bit here and there to better match exactly what is seen in the reference pictures.

As always, thanks for looking.

Turret. Not yet complete, staged for fit check/etc.
IMG_2517.jpgIMG_2590.jpgIMG_2594.jpg
IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2572.jpgIMG_2544.jpgIMG_2546.jpg
IMG_2603.jpgIMG_2606.jpg

Paint tests
1:1 MM Camoflauge Grey/MM Flat White (based on story of hearing original was 1:1grime/reefer white). While the camo grey doesn't match grime, when I tried the mixture of tamiya flat white+deck tan to get grime (which matched the one bottle of floquil grime I have), and then did a 1:1 of that with just white (resulting in a 1:4 deck tan to flat white) it came looking basically the same as the 1:1 camo grey to flat white. As a result, I am probably going to go with this as the base, but will do some more digging. If anyone has any other insight to add (beyond the AS-20 suggestion) I'm happy to hear it.

IMG_2611.jpgIMG_2615_sfma.jpgIMG_2609.jpg

- Ryan

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back