double-studio scale size Y-Wing fighter (1/12th)

Andrew C.

Just to be clear, my 1/12th scale double-studio scale size Y-wing model will not be accurate to any one studio scale ILM Y-wing effects model. Mine will be an own interpretation, and will be taking liberties here and there.
One reason is that, at double the size, there are almost no model kit parts that can be purchased and gutted for detailing this project precisely. And creating exact copies of every single part in the right size would take far too long.
Since no two ILM Y-wings were alike, mine will be just another version in a fleet of Y-wings.

Consider that - when ILM built the same ship in different scales - the models were never detailed exactly the same. (Millenium Falcons or Star Destroyers, for example) These models were kit-detailed to have the right 'feel' to them: no model kit parts were scaled up or down to painstakingly create an exact replica of a previous version.
That is what I intend to do with this project: build something that looks and feels right, but upon closer inspection parts won't be 100% identical to the smaller studio scale model's detailing.

Some of the planned changes to my version:
The cockpit will be somewhere between the studio scale 1/24th model and the full size set prop the actors were filmed in.
The studio scale model had a simple 1/24th scale racing car driver with a standard racing helmet on, I want an accurate rebel pilot sitting in the cockpit.
Plus might be doing a removable targeting computer extended in front of the pilot. The studio scale models had no targeting computers (extended or retracted) inside the cockpit.
The nose guns on the studio scale models were smaller, the ones on the full size set piece much larger. My nose guns will be somewhere in between those two references, as well.

Hope you enjoy, greetings & happy modeling,
Andrew

12th scale Y-wing project.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 1/13th scale Y-Wing fighter

I built a 1/16 scale Y-Wing recently, and have found out that most of the 1/35 scale parts were at the limit of being out of scale. A lot of the stuff I had to scratch build.

TazMan2000

Thanks, TazMan2000! Do you have a link to your model? Sure would like to see your 16th scale hard work. :thumbsup

Thank you, Tazman2000! Still in the process of gathering large detail parts, so it might take a while before this project has enough to go ahead.

Yes, studio scale is 1/24th scale, so at 1/12th scale my model will be twice that size.

Last edited:
Re: double-studio scale Y-Wing fighter (1/12th)

For the most part will be using large kit parts that are similar and have been going through my greeblies stash selecting what looks about right. Here are some pictures of the double studio scale parts I have been scratchbuilding/kitbashing:
_DSC1461 psd smaller w credit.jpg_DSC1462 psd smaller.jpg_DSC1479 plus 1481 03 smaller.jpg_DSC1482psd plus SS Y-wing cu.jpg

Last edited:

Thank you, Taz! The King Tiger vents are 1/16th scale. To be perfect they would need to be 1/17.5th scale, but that's close enough for me. (Didn't want to buy an entire 1/16th scale King Tiger kit, those are too expensive.) Buying just the vents cost me only a few dollars,and yes, they are indeed white metal.

Thank you, Bondo Fett!

(Just to mention it: have added more information to my first post in this thread, to better explain what is intended for this project.)

These two scratchbuilt parts are on the Y-wing twice, so when the time comes will be making molds and casting all the multiple ones in resin.

_DSC1485 placement pic.jpg

_DSC1487 w Y-wing cu.jpg

Such a cool Adventure to follow
Great start and thanks for the detailled intriduction. This way it saves nerves ;)

Thank you, Struschie, also for pointing out that a little more info would be helpful as to what this is supposed to become. :thumbsup
After two years of posting model pictures in our facebook albums am used to writing just a few sentences about the project itself.

Just received two slabs of 10 millimeter aluminum yesterday for creating the internal metal frame. These should be strong enough to allow for right & left side model mounts without the pylons bending under the model's weight. The model will also have top, bottom and rear mounting points.

_DSC1488 plus 1491 mix.jpg

Bandai's 1/12th scale R2-D2 & R5-D4 kit is perfect for this project. Am thinking of taking R2 and giving it red instead of blue panels.
A 1/12th scale racing driver was given to me as a gift by my good friend Jay, will be using it as a basis and transforming it into a rebel pilot.

Bandai R2-D2 12th scale kit 01.jpeg

_DSC1470 psd smaller.jpg

_DSC1467 psd smaller.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back