double-studio scale size Y-Wing fighter (1/12th)

Great work Andrew! Yep, that baby is going to be heavy. When building bigatures, the weight piles in very quickly (my 2001 Space Station is now 48 pounds:eek) Looking forward to many more updates!

Thanks, Joberg! :)
Wow, just looked at your thread with your giant 2001 Space Station model - awesome to say the least!

Thank you, Fett_Ish!

I originally wanted to descend into the cellar and begin the metal work over a week ago, but Influenza and a severe allergic reaction at the same time still have me spending a lot of time in bed right now. Can occasionally sit at my desk and do some plastic work for a short time, but that's about it. So right now it looks like the metal frame pics will be coming sometime in December.

_DSC1693 Y-wing comparison.jpg

Thought I'd create something that looked just a little less like a tiger sprocket tank wheel and went with a mix of Gold 2's and Gold Leader's top mount cover:

_DSC1705 plus Y-wing comparison.jpg

After the allergic reaction in November, vacation and a week-long bout with intestinal flu I'm finally fit and back on track again. Feeling like my old self again. :)

Some progress:
_DSC1712 fog canister SS and DSS 02 smaller.jpg

And another studio scale parts to scratchbuild/resin parts comparison:
_DSC1716 redither smaller.jpg

Just to be clear, my 1/12th scale double-studio scale size Y-wing model will not be accurate to any one studio scale ILM Y-wing effects model. Mine will be an own interpretation, and will be taking liberties here and there

Say no more! VERY excited to see how this turns out! I really enjoy seeing different interpretations of familiar iconic ships! :)

Very cool build. I'm definitely going to be following this closely as I am going to be building a few 1/12 scale models to go along with the 1/12 bandai Figures and the Hasbro Black series 6" line that I love so much. Do you think you could do some scaling of the pieces for the open source green leader project?

Very cool build. I'm definitely going to be following this closely as I am going to be building a few 1/12 scale models to go along with the 1/12 bandai Figures and the Hasbro Black series 6" line that I love so much. Do you think you could do some scaling of the pieces for the open source green leader project?

Thank you, ucfierocharger!

Would definitely recommend buying large-scale kits and stocking up for such a project, have found that detailing in this scale isn't easy. The parts are larger than usual and fewer to choose from when compared to 1/24th scale, for example. I have a lot of parts in my stash and am still having trouble finding some details.

Doing improvised and finer detail in 1/24th scale would be fun to do, too, (not to mention much easier because of lots more parts) but for the near and not-so-near future my hands are full with this project.
Really like the spirit of sharing in the Green Leader Open Source Project, I think it's a great idea and nice to see modelers working together. Had I not caught the 12th scale bug would very likely have chosen to work on this.

Thanks for the tip with the scrap pieces. I do have a 3d printer and make 3d digital models for a living, so if I can't find enough fodder I will just make my own, but I would prefer to do that as little as possible.

I guess I should have clarified my question better. Have you begun to figure out how to make the larger parts of the model like the engines and hull? I was thinking that since the Green Leader Project files are available, if DaveG is cool with it, you may be able to use the models of the hull, canopy, etc to create the base for those larger parts.

Last edited:
Have you begun to figure out how to make the larger parts of the model like the engines and hull?

Yes, have everything pretty much planned out already:
Will be doing the engines from large plexiglas tubes, spheres & eggs, styrene sheet plastic, aluminum T-rods and kitbashed detail pieces.
The main body will be made of aluminum and plexiglas, then covered with the small details.
Have dabbled a little with 3D programs & 3D printing so will test and see how well I can get nose shape done that way. Will also be making a nose and canopy with renshape. Once both are done will select whichever one I like better.

I was thinking that since the Green Leader Project files are available, if DaveG is cool with it, you may be able to use the models of the hull, canopy, etc to create the base for those larger parts.

Am pretty much working off of photographs to help plan my model dimensions. Getting a studio scale kit for reference would certainly be nice but don't have the funds for that. Right now all the money goes into the building materials.

Glad to see u back Andrew C!! It's looking good for sure. Eager to see that bird taking shape:)

Thank you, joberg! Looking forward to getting started on the framework soon. Up until then it'll be the small detail work.

Andrew, the files for my forward fuselage and canopy are available online and you are more than welcome to use them to print 2xSS version for your project if you want. That is well within the acceptable scope of the creative commons open source project.

Dave, thank you for the kind offer! I must decline, however: there is a possibility of doing a commission build sometime in the future and it would be good to recoup the expenses and earn some money with this. Which, of course, would violate the open source agreement.
Plus like the challenge of creating the model entirely on my own. :)

Update: created four parts which imitate the M577 generator:
_DSC1771 comparison2.jpg

Dave, thank you for the kind offer! I must decline, however: there is a possibility of doing a commission build sometime in the future and it would be good to recoup the expenses and earn some money with this. Which, of course, would violate the open source agreement.
Plus like the challenge of creating the model entirely on my own. :)

Update: created four parts which imitate the M577 generator:
View attachment 706139
what I love about what your doing , is that you cannot slavishly copy the original parts too closely because at this enlarged scale there wouldn't be enough detail , this allows some flexibility that will add to this project

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back