Grommash Build. Last Page new pics of the silicone glove. 01/25/2017

AlphaTech686

So I started on Grommash April 2015. I'm not done but here is how far I've come. First the basics. The Mannequin.
I'll make this fast since it is not about this. Plaster bandages applied by my wife. 1/8 inch clay lining the plaster. Inside structure to add strength and hold the arms. Filled with 2 part rigid foam. Base and finally covered in 2 coats of Smooth-on Epoxamite.
006.JPG014.JPG015.JPG017.JPG019.JPG022.JPG026.JPG031.JPG034.JPG050.JPG038.JPG058.JPG055.JPG061.JPG063.JPG

I'm going to post this as I am new on this site. I will post the torso sculpt next.

Last edited:
Re: Grommash by Alphatech

I guess this is the way to do this. Here is the torso sculpt. I guess I should first say I am using a lot of reference photos from Steve Wang's build of Grommash and I am using the face from Blizzards latest rendition .
.Stevewangsgrommash.jpgofficialgrommash.jpg
001.JPG011.JPG031.JPG

Getting into the details. This was my first try with W.E.D. clay. Like most people say it has it's advantages and disadvantages
043.JPG045.JPG046.JPG

The finished skin details
061.JPG063.JPG073.JPG074.JPG076.JPGtorsosculpt1.JPGtorsosculpt2.JPG

On to the molding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Next came partitioning the sculpt with .005 shim stock. If I had it to do over I would have partitioned it better. I wanted to do a core and pour the skin but that didn't quite happen. I will discuss that later.
085.JPG084.JPG081.JPG082.JPG083.JPG

I sprayed on 4 coats of PVA then I used 2 layers of Smooth-on Epoxacoat then 5 layers of Epoxamite/fiberglass.
027.JPG031.JPG033.JPG035.JPG032.JPG036.JPG041.JPG039.JPG040.JPG

Foam muscle suit next.

ALL THE WARCRAFT BUILDS! Deathwing is on a low right now but my Warsong commander can come along rather quick if I do my best. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! It's really inspirational! I love seeing this increase in warcraft builds really.

Can't wait to see the face sculpt, please share pics of the whole process, I'm very interested in making full face masks and your sneak peak already looks promising.
Stalking this thread now...

Next came the muscle suit. First I lined the molds with an 1/8th inch of clay to allow for the skin to fit later on. As an after thought I would not have done this. The skin fits fine but I think it would have worked either way. Next I bolted the mold over the mannequin which I had prepped by spraying several coats of PVA then placing a spandex shirt over it.
068.JPG071.JPG 073.JPG074.JPG

Next I filled it with 2-part soft foam. I opened it up and cleaned the clay off. It was WED clay again so cleanup was a breeze. I then trimmed the neck.
075.JPG076.JPG077.JPG082.JPG081.JPG

I test fitted it and decided even thought the foam was soft I just didn't feel I could move well enough. This was disappointing. I had to regroup and move on.
foamsuit.JPGfoamsuit2.JPG

I ended up cutting each muscle group apart, encasing them in spandex, and then sewing them onto another spandex shirt. I did a lot of stitching. I actually painted on a layer of Epoxacoat on the delts and traps to help them hold their shape when I lower my arms.
029.JPG030.JPG027.JPGmusclesuit5.JPG

Now I could move very freely.
046.JPG047.JPG050.JPG

This is where things went south on me. I spent a lot of time making a soft core so I could pour the skin. As I mentioned earlier because I did not split the sculpt correctly I could not do a hard core. Here is the process that was a fail. The core seemed to sag in the torso and arms so first I cut out a cylinder in the center of the torso and filled it with rigid foam. Then I slid a heavy wire in each arm. This all worked to good. I thought I lined it all up and bolted the mold on and poured about 350 bucks worth of silicone. As I poured I noticed silicone was not coming out of some of the bleeder holes on top of one of the arms. I knew this was bad. After it all cured I opened the mold to find areas where the core was touching the mold. It was a learning experience to say the least.
I had to reline the mold with clay. This sucked.
004.JPG005.JPG007.JPG

I brushed on a couple of layers of Plasti dip to seal the foam then coated it with PVA before bolting the mold around it.
The core did look really nice.
010.JPG013.JPG015.JPG

Last edited:

I had to do another post as I guess I reached my file limit on that on. I used Echoflex 20 with a pigment from Fuse fx.
017.JPG023.JPG021.JPG

The Echoflex ended up being to soft and the skin would have been super heavy.
core3.JPG

After all that time and energy I ended up doing it the old fashion way, brushing in layer by layer. I ended up using Dragon skin 10 I think. I brushed up a few layers with the mold open then bolted it up and finished over the seams.
031.JPG034.JPG037.JPG 039.JPG040.JPG

This was a near perfect pull which I needed after the pour debacle. I sewed the zipper on next then cut the seam. I had placed reinforcement cloth into the silicone were I would be sewing the zipper.
041.JPG063.JPG060.JPG

The test fit.
052.JPG059.JPG

Alright that is all I have time for today. Next will be the seaming and paint up. Thanks for looking everyone.

Last edited:

Seaming was interesting. I had to find some examples on Youtube. That God for Youtube. First I carefully trimmed the seams making them all little gullies. I had saved a small amount of the tinted silicone from the suit layup. I mixed very small amounts at a time like 10 grams with some Thivex to make it like thick peanut butter. I used a tiny spatula to spread the silicone into the seam. Then with gloves on I dipped a finger into the alcohol and smoothed the area. You would not believe how well this works. The alcohol smooths it like glass. Once all of that cured I went over a second time but this time I would spread a very thin layer of silicone then dip a small sponge (the same sponge I used to do the original skin texture on the sculpt) into the alcohol and sponge the texture back on.
012.JPG016.JPG008.JPG010.JPG013.JPG

Last edited:

I don't have much to say about the paint other than this. This was my first time painting human skin tones and my first time painting silicone. I bought the "hyper realistic silicone painting" with Tim Gore from Stan Winston School. It was a completely awesome video. I recommend it to anyone painting silicone.
This is early in the paint job.
017.JPG 018.JPG
Starting to get close. He still needs to be more tanned. "Raw Umber"
001.JPG 004.JPG006.JPG009.JPG013.JPG

I was starting to draw on the tattoos. This was also a first. I drew them on with marker and then filled in with a regular brush. As you will see this did not work out well. The tats were to dark. You can see the skin is still light. I had planned on darkening it further on top of the tats which I did butt they were so dark it didn't matter. I ended up painting them again with a lighter more grayish green color. They are better but not great. I was at a point where I couldn't add more paint. I have grown to like them. Next time I will draw them on then paint latex around them to form stencil and then airbrush them just enough. It is a learning experience.
001.JPG010.JPG

I started to add color to the veins here.
018.JPG017.JPG

I actually have these little purple veins on my upper chest. I would say they are "old man " veins. I added them just to see and I liked them. You would have to be standing really close to see them. I was also adding a few moles here and there.
020.JPG023.JPG

This was after I dulled the shine but before I redid the tats.
033.JPG037.JPG038.JPG043.JPG

I ma starting to repaint the tats.
003.JPG017.JPG023.JPG033.JPG

This is the finished paint. That is me and Grommash with out tattoos. Thanks everyone for looking in on this. I will get the belt build up soon.
016.JPG

So here is the belt build part 1 "The Skull: These first three pictures are from the Grommash by Steve Wang/Alliance studio.
The skull was sculpted by Miyo Nakamura and painted by Steve Wang. These were my references.
wangskull2.jpgwangskull3.jpgwangskull.jpg

This is my sculpt.
003.JPG002.JPG001.JPG006.JPG008.JPG

Then I molded it in silicone and cast it in Epoxacoat/Free form Air.
001.JPG004.JPG

Next I painted it up and started on the base
010.JPG012.JPG014.JPG015.JPG022.JPG023.JPG.

Then came the lower. I only have a picture while i was molding it.
lowerjaw2.JPG

Next came the canines. You can see the lower jaw in one of these, it is a little distorted as it already went through the molding process.
canine1.JPGcanine2.JPGcanine3.JPG

And here is the paint up of the whole piece.
021.JPG011.JPG010.JPG042.JPG

Then came the leather work. Again the first photo is the Wang/Allaince studio belt.
wangskull.jpg

I went over to Tandy leather and bought a pork belly and I ordered a half a side of a buffalo on line for a really good price. I will use most of the Buff hide later for the pants.
I started on the belt closest to the body first. This is the buff hide. I stitched a cord in with a leather awl. That middle picture I was abusing that edge to make it look worn.
belt1.JPGbelt3.JPGbelt2.JPG

Next I cut the belly to form the next level belt. I also added a lower level piece also. I dyed it and then used acrylics to finish weathering it.
belt28.JPGbelt5.JPGbelt4.JPG

Testing the look.
belt6.JPG

Next I had to fabricate these little rings. I think they are actually called"hog rings". I twisted a piece of heavy wire around a bolt and cut down a line with a Dremel.
belt9.JPGbelt7.JPGbelt8.JPG

Next I wanted some realistic looking rivet. Eventually I used some bolts and with a wire welder welded across the line in the head. While it was still red hot I beat them around a bit.
That last pic is of the inside. It was getting kind of convoluted back there.
belt10.JPGbelt11.JPGbelt13.JPG
belt14.JPG

I sculpted the buckle parts, molded them in silicone and cast them in Epoxacoat and Onyx smooth cast.
belt16.JPGbelt20.JPG

I decided to add this part that is right behind the skull. Here is a photo of Blizzards most recent Grommash belt.
027.JPG

I decided to make it in leather and have the spikes be some sort of cast iron.
belt18.JPGbelt21.JPGbelt22.JPGbelt23.JPGbelt24.JPG belt25.JPG

I'll get the finished belt up tomorrow. Thanks

Last edited:

Alpha, If it weren't for seeing this on a mannequin I would have had to call B.S.!!! on that skin not being real!! Fantastic work!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back