My "8 foot" Star Destroyer Build

One of my fellow industry friends has said that Dave Beasley told him that he had 6 months to work on the Star Destroyer :eek

Remember that this was back on the original film, which was obviously many, many years ago - that certainly wouldn't fly with current production schedules. Also remember that when George Lucas returned to the US after principle photography, ILM had gotten pretty much nothing accomplished.

One of my fellow industry friends has said that Dave Beasley told him that he had 6 months to work on the Star Destroyer :eek

Remember that this was back on the original film, which was obviously many, many years ago - that certainly wouldn't fly with current production schedules. Also remember that when George Lucas returned to the US after principle photography, ILM had gotten pretty much nothing accomplished.
Wow, that long huh. So thats the first SD. How about the one made for Empire?

IMG_0074.JPG

I think you are looking for this part.

Last edited:
For the dimensions problem you can also use photogrammetry technics to get a 3d model from photos. You can get any dimension for your project from a complete 3d model. You can also use original kit parts to verify the dimension. Here are some Pictures from my work
View attachment 646501View attachment 646502View attachment 646503

For some reason I did not see this - very cool! I head read some stuff about this process, but never took the time to really get into it, although perhaps I should have! :$

no, it is the Monogram Nimitz or Eisenhover (same kit) 1:825. This kit is also used for the upper structure on the starboard side.

Monogram 3004 Nimitzvar.JPG

For the dimensions problem you can also use photogrammetry technics to get a 3d model from photos. You can get any dimension for your project from a complete 3d model. You can also use original kit parts to verify the dimension. Here are some Pictures from my work
View attachment 646501View attachment 646502View attachment 646503

Hey Krib - is there a particular software you can recommend for this? I have most of my dimension work done, but it might be fun to cross check.
Thanks

EDIT - From the looks of your screenshots, you are perhaps using VisualSFM?

yes, I use VisualSFM for the 3d camera reconstruction, I think this tool is the best for that. After this you need a other program to create a dense cloud based on the reference points from the pictures and build a 3d model with a tool like PMVS/CMVS.

I have tried a lot of other programs like Acute 3d or Agisoft Photoscan. All Tools have a lot of advantages and disadvantages depends of quality of the pictures and so on ... try it out :)

Last edited:
Just pulled a couple nice molds for the neck sides.
Radiators from the 1:12 Ferrari 312T and the grills on the rear deck of the 1/25 British Chieftain 46t.
With each kit being over $100, I just have a hard time chopping them up if not completely necessary.
I'm 50% done working on the mold of the Shinano under-deck. If I can get that, I'll be happy.

Other than this, the rebuild of the sides, bottom, top, and back of the bridge is coming along...slow but progressing. I'll have some pics of it when I get back on track.
Mold1.jpgMold2.jpg

It's been some time again, but I finally got the bridge dimensions and shape to where I like it.
The non-hero side is pretty much done ( i think there might be one piece left to find, and I have been working on the 'hero' side.
Here's a couple shots:

20161213_150507.jpg20161213_164840.jpg20161215_170913.jpg20161215_205953.jpg20161215_211235.jpg20161216_141657.jpg

Thanks joberg~

Borrowing a pic from Tox, could anyone help me ID the part circled in red?
Can't quite seem to put my eyes on it.
Thanks in advance!
sIDEID1.jpg

Well - been doing a lot of drawing to get the measurements of the sides and spine as well as ID-ing parts to help with the fit.
I'm getting close and will hopefully start assembling so things soon (before my eyesight fails!)
I'm stuck on these bits. Bottom ones look like car parts, but can't nail it down. The top rectangles are just beyond me...
Any help?
LowerSpineID1.jpg

After days of measuring, remeasuring, and drawing, I finally lay the parts (which I thought I did in the beginning as well) just to find it is still a bit off.
This thing will drive me crazy.
SpineMockTopV1.jpgSpineMockV1.jpg

Literally back to the drawing board.
Anyone have any thoughts on the parts in the post above?

Have you tried to hit Julien up for help?. He's up on FB, I'm sure he would help you out!. I have no idea of the parts you need to know sorry, my build is mostly my own parts, not part for part. Some of those lower ones look F1 though.

Stu

Have you tried to hit Julien up for help?. He's up on FB, I'm sure he would help you out!. I have no idea of the parts you need to know sorry, my build is mostly my own parts, not part for part. Some of those lower ones look F1 though.

Stu

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back