1/48 AT-AT build

Is the Alfred Wong AT-AT studio scale?
I am wondering if a 1/48 Bandai snowspeeder is in scale with this 1/48 AT-AT,..by that i mean is the Alfred Wong AT-AT 1/48 scale to the filming miniature or to the "full size" movie imagery.
I always thought that a 1/48 snowspeeder is only in scale with the studio scale AT-AT.
Correct me when wrong please.
Maybe a 1/72 snowspeeder is more to scale and if that is the case a llot easier to be supported by a thin wire.

IIRC a Studio Scale AT-AT is very close to 1/48

The height of an AT-AT is supposedly 22.5 meters. This makes a 1/48 AT-AT somewhere between 18 and 19" tall

The Master Replicas AT-AT which I believe is studio scale (going by the ones they used for the stop animation, not the larger one used for the some other shots), is between 18 and 19 inches tall, so it would seem a 1/48 AT-AT should indeed wind up being studio scale ( or pretty darn close)

How Alfred's measures up to the studio model height and length wise i do not know, but theoretically, if scaled correctly, you should be able to use original donor parts on it

Is the Alfred Wong AT-AT studio scale?
I am wondering if a 1/48 Bandai snowspeeder is in scale with this 1/48 AT-AT,..by that i mean is the Alfred Wong AT-AT 1/48 scale to the filming miniature or to the "full size" movie imagery.
I always thought that a 1/48 snowspeeder is only in scale with the studio scale AT-AT.
Correct me when wrong please.
Maybe a 1/72 snowspeeder is more to scale and if that is the case a llot easier to be supported by a thin wire.

IIRC a Studio Scale AT-AT is very close to 1/48

The height of an AT-AT is supposedly 22.5 meters. This makes a 1/48 AT-AT somewhere between 18 and 19" tall

The Master Replicas AT-AT which I believe is studio scale (going by the ones they used for the stop animation, not the larger one used for the some other shots), is between 18 and 19 inches tall, so it would seem a 1/48 AT-AT should indeed wind up being studio scale ( or pretty darn close)

How Alfred's measures up to the studio model height and length wise i do not know, but theoretically, if scaled correctly, you should be able to use original donor parts on it

Good points. Alfred's AT-AT states that it is studio scale at 1/48. But honestly, I have not been able to find definitive source about its actual stop motion used dimensions. Hence the posting in General modelling rather than studio scale since I really don't know what studio scale is. If someone has a clear answer, would appreciate if you can enlighten me.

Check out this interesting research.

http://www.suave.net/~dave/atat.cgi?version=ref

This model measures 15 inches tall, which makes it 1/60 scale. As such, both 1/48 or 1/72 scale snow speeders will not be correct. Having said that, I put the 1/48 Bandai speeder under the feet, and it looks just slightly oversized. Putting a 1/72 speeder under would be way too small.

So I think I'll be going for 1/48 speeder. But the weight saved on a 1/72 is very tempting. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the finemolds snowspeeder will fit the bill.
I've read somewhere that finemolds scaling is in fact smaller than what other companies use ,..so the FM 1/48 snowspeeder is probably a bit smaller than the bandai's

Maybe the finemolds snowspeeder will fit the bill.
I've read somewhere that finemolds scaling is in fact smaller than what other companies use ,..so the FM 1/48 snowspeeder is probably a bit smaller than the bandai's

Thanks for the info. Let me check it out.

As for the cable, the piano wire seems better than any other type of wires...saying that, you could always place/glue the cable and the speeder close to one of the AT-AT leg.
By shortening the length of the cable, you'll make the whole thing sturdier.;)

This model measures 15 inches tall, which makes it 1/60 scale. As such, both 1/48 or 1/72 scale snow speeders will not be correct. Having said that, I put the 1/48 Bandai speeder under the feet, and it looks just slightly oversized. Putting a 1/72 speeder under would be way too small.

You might consider the Revell Pocket Kit snowspeeder. It is around 1/53 to 1/58 scale so it is smaller than the 1/48 speeders and may look more in scale

In this picture from right to left is the MPC/AMT/ERTL speeder, the Fine Molds 1/48 speeder, the Revell Pocket Speeder and a 1/70 Di Agostini diecast speeder

Awesome thanks! I just bought one from eBay. It says 1/52. This might be it! Thanks again!

The Fine Molds is just about perfect.

Attachments

• 1237811_1390803251150625_599597437_n.jpg
    1237811_1390803251150625_599597437_n.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 263
  • 943321_1390803254483958_368737341_n.jpg
    943321_1390803254483958_368737341_n.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 531944_1390803221150628_2081034031_n.jpg
    531944_1390803221150628_2081034031_n.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 236
Hey, does the head on the SMT model seem big? Or is it camera induced distortion causing to look odd?

Perhaps this is an 'eyeball' induced distortion... ;^P

Funnily, last night while putting away the family Christmas tree, I saw we have an Hallmark AT-AT ornament which features a Snowspeeder snagging the legs, mounted on a bit of steel wire (springy, too!) Very effective. I must admit, Hallmark does a great job on their stuff...

R/ Robert

The Fine Molds is just about perfect.

Is that your build? It's awesome! But it's kinda hard to tell the relative size of the speeder from your photo. I guess I would have to place all the different ones that I have bought beside the foot so there is some common reference. Stay tuned for that when my speeders arrive.

Hey, does the head on the SMT model seem big? Or is it camera induced distortion causing to look odd?

Perhaps this is an 'eyeball' induced distortion... ;^P

Funnily, last night while putting away the family Christmas tree, I saw we have an Hallmark AT-AT ornament which features a Snowspeeder snagging the legs, mounted on a bit of steel wire (springy, too!) Very effective. I must admit, Hallmark does a great job on their stuff...

R/ Robert

Funny that you say it. Cos at certain angles, I feel the same way, but not at others.

That ornament sounds cool! Did you take a photo of it? ;)

Is that your build? It's awesome! But it's kinda hard to tell the relative size of the speeder from your photo. I guess I would have to place all the different ones that I have bought beside the foot so there is some common reference. Stay tuned for that when my speeders arrive.

It's mine, old build though. I'll see if I have any pics of it from further away. In person it's the right size to me.

So, after a week overseas, I came back ready to progress on this project. Went to my table, and guess what I saw?!

My AT-AT leaning against a box I had put there to prop it up in case it fell. I had wanted to leave it standing for the week that I was away, so I can see if there was anything I had done wrong with regards to making him rigid on the base. Learnt a few things:

1. I was glad I put boxes under and around it to cushion its fall.

2. I was glad I did this test.

3. My reinforcements of the legs were spot on.

Here's what happened. Remember in my first post I mentioned that the grey colour resin pieces were a little soft? Well, all 4 foot arches were made using the grey resin. THEY BLOODY WARPED UNDER THE WEIGHT!

Photo%2010-1-16%209%2019%2047%20PM_zps8piowgew.jpg

They warped, and popped out of their sockets! Even the toe that was supporting the last leg in my previous post, this is what happened:

Photo%2010-1-16%209%2021%2039%20PM_zpsufmzislf.jpg

So while my brass reinforcements of the legs held true and were rock solid, my Archilles' heel (no pun intended) were in the materials used for the heels. So I shot an email to Alfred regarding this, and he replied promptly that he was equally shocked, and would get Ed (his caster) to rectify it and send me another set. Great guys!

So for the moment, this project is shelved until the spares arrive....

Last edited:
Clearly, the type of plastic they used is not as strong as the other part on the kit. Hopefully they'll be next time:)

Funny that you say it. Cos at certain angles, I feel the same way, but not at others.

That ornament sounds cool! Did you take a photo of it? ;)

No, but I shall try and remember to do so... it is already packed up but still available.

R/ Robert

PS: your last post with images, the images indicate 'not found' on a 'cat picture' placeholder that says 'click for picture' but of course, nothing happens. Another weird image host that doesn't link back in correctly - probably due to some login or permissions issue.

No, but I shall try and remember to do so... it is already packed up but still available.

R/ Robert

PS: your last post with images, the images indicate 'not found' on a 'cat picture' placeholder that says 'click for picture' but of course, nothing happens. Another weird image host that doesn't link back in correctly - probably due to some login or permissions issue.

Something went wrong with the photo links. Have corrected them. You should be able to see it now.

So, I'm back, and the replacement C-clamps arrived. Sturdier, hard resin. Lots of flash to clean. At least they're here.

Photo%2023-1-16%2011%2047%2032%20AM_zpsda4buzds.jpg

My bigger problem is that I had epoxied the old clamps so well that it's going to be a pain to remove them. No way to pry them out, so it will have to be sawing and grinding with the dremel. I expect some damages.... sigh.

Photo%2023-1-16%2011%2049%2043%20AM_zpsncemfs74.jpg

And after completely removing the old clamps, cutting up the new ones, glueing them down, I was faced with my biggest disappointment, which I had totally expected. It did not stand as straight as the last time. If you were following my sequence of standing the AT-AT on the base, I cut the C-clamps while it was standing up. And then I drilled the holes where the brass rods would go into the base. Now trying to perform surgery in the middle stages, the alignments will definitely go off.

Making the best of what I have, and pushing the laws of physics to the limits, this is what I ended up, with the legs not all on the base, and the lifted leg much higher than I want. But I think it is still salvageable when I am building up the snow terrain...

Photo%2023-1-16%202%2021%2059%20PM_zpspf2pfgph.jpg

This is how it looks like again standing. I am somewhat happy again.

Photo%2023-1-16%202%2022%2030%20PM_zpsbijbssew.jpg

While waiting for the replacement toes to arrive (they were shipped from a different location), and to install the leg actuators, I am calling the build completed, and will go on the painting phase.

On another note, my 1:52 scale Revell snow speeder arrived. Thanks to Blakeh1's suggestion above, the scale is spot on! Take a look at the photos. Bandai 1/48 on the right, Revell 1/52 on the left, in comparison with the AT-AT foot.

Photo%2023-1-16%202%2032%2034%20PM_zpswbm5k0ib.jpg

Photo%2023-1-16%202%2032%2045%20PM_zpsywqlfiyb.jpg

I conclude that Alfred Wong's 1/48 AT-AT is really around 1/52.

This is how the final layout will look like, and I'm going to title this Diorama "One more pass". ;)

Photo%2023-1-16%202%2035%2028%20PM_zpssvseutd2.jpg

Till the next phase of painting!

Thanks for viewing!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back