Styrene R2-D2

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After several years of debating (what am I, nuts??) this project I've decided to leap into a proper R2 build. I've been working away on it exclusively for about three months and am making good progress. I'm building mine out of styrene and resin following plans I've downloaded from the R2 Builders Club. I can say enough about the people and resources at astromech.com. There's really nothing like it. This will be a pic heavy post. These are in=progress pics of the build to give you a sense of the styrene building process.

IMG_4546.jpgIMG_4466.jpgIMG_4479.jpgIMG_4493.jpgIMG_4511 2.jpgIMG_4535.jpgIMG_4545.jpgIMG_4547.jpgIMG_4548.jpgIMG_4549.jpgIMG_4480.jpgIMG_4427.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A few more.

IMG_4689.JPGIMG_4688-1.JPGIMG_4686.JPGIMG_4685.JPGIMG_4684.JPGIMG_4683.JPGIMG_4679.jpgIMG_4582.jpgIMG_4578.jpg
IMG_4555.jpgIMG_4551.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And, I got him up on three legs today. Big accomplishment!

12471532_10153873646278754_8838503635732684542_o.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Styrene R2D1

Congrats on taking the plunge! I've done an all aluminum one, and just 'broke ground' on an all plastic droid.

Can I ask how you cut the top of the legs so round? They are my next major component to make, and getting accurate arcs leaves me in a clod sweat.

C

Astromech is an amazing site, filled with a lot of great builders. the entire R2Builders club is filled with very helpful great people. Very interested In your build have been on the debating team for 3 years I want one, I don't want to spend the hours building one lol....The only way to get one is to spend the hours doing the necessary love to make it happen.
There have been more than a few RPF builds that make me so want to jump on the bandwagon and make it myself... However as handy as I am I have no work space and no tools. no real time to devote to a large scale project.. Subscribed can`t wait to see this progress.

Styrene R2D1

Congrats man! I always love seeing new builds. Yours is coming along fantastically! I myself am just starting back up on a new one after getting about 90% done with my first a few years ago and then having to suddenly sell it. I missed having my little buddy in my office with me. But it'll happen again soon.

I actually just rearranged my office to make room for all the parts I'm collecting.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451859539.796567.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451859549.527065.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome work. I don't know if I'll ever get the time to do this but I went ahead and downloaded all of the files for building one. Is any certain thickness styrene recommended?

Most Is built with 3 millimeter. Some of the skinning is 1 millimeter.

This is a build where I'm pretty much sticking to someone else's plans. Specifically the exceptional Dave Everette Styrene plans found on astromech.com. The nice round legs and body pieces are all thanks to a router table. Pretty much a must to do this build. The 1/8" styrene that the majority of R2 is built from is SO easy to work with. It's essentially cutting out shapes and then glueing (With Weldon3 or Testers Model Glue).

Yes, it's true, there is no real way to get a droid without doing the hard work of a droid. But I will tell you, this styrene droid build has been SO damn satisfying to do. Progress has been great, and watching a full-size astromech emerge from flat sheets of styrene is magical.

Valor

Last edited:

I can imagine it is, I was reading through some of the plans and they look to be well documented and easy to follow. Are some of those pieces in the bottom left picture 3D printed? I downloaded some of the 3D files they had available on the site but there's not enough on there to cover everything you have shown there.

Styrene R2D1

The pic with the blue tape line - above the line I bought, below the line I scratch built.

Last edited:

Hey Dee Oh

Nice looking droid ya got there. I pretty much decided to build an ABS R2 like you, but with one big difference. I am planning to 3D print as much as I can. I am realizing that my 3d printer is a bit small in X and Y Axis. which means that I have to divide the bigger pieces into smaller parts and glue them together.

I have not worked with 1/8" ABS sheet before, thus I'm not sure which will be easier. Print the bigger stuff in multiple pieces, or cut them out of sheet.

ideas?

Boy. That really depends on the plans you're following. Not sure I can help.

Alright, I ran some paint tests this week. I was pretty committed to building a red Astromech ... maybe R2-D1. My thought was I wanted to do something different. Everyone does R2D2 ... So I found a lovely red metalic paint at the auto store and tested some pieces. And it looked great (see attached. But here's the thing. He didn't FEEL like anything. Plus I have several people comment (Why is R2 Red??) ... I imagined a future where I had to fend off that question constantly. But mostly ... I wanted Artoo.

IMG_4759.JPG

So, after all the research on the right Artoo blue, I decided on using Rustoleum Metallic Cobalt Blue and a couple coats of Metalcast Blue on top. I repainted the pieces and ... And just like that ... he's real. All the feels. Artoo is in the house.

IMG_4791.jpg
IMG_4792.jpg

That looks awesome, did you build the dome too? I agree too on the color something about the red doesn't look as good as the blue.

I was going to say that was an amazing job hiding seams on it. What would you say cost-wise someone would expect to have in this? If you don't mind me asking. I've got a 3D printer I can take care of some of the parts with as long as the files are available.

I'm so jealous right now. I will eventually make a static display r2d2 for my son's room. He's as much a fan as I am haha. Looks great man!

I was going to say that was an amazing job hiding seams on it. What would you say cost-wise someone would expect to have in this? If you don't mind me asking. I've got a 3D printer I can take care of some of the parts with as long as the files are available.

It really depends how much you make vs. buy. A styrene droid built withe the plans on astromech.com is most economical. For a static droid I bet you could come in under $700. Once you add motors, electronics, and lights you're probably over $1200. Oh course what do I know. I'm nit done yet[emoji3]

That's not bad at all for a static prop which would be what I'm sure I'd build. I'd probably put drop some lights in it that I could turn on and off but for the most part it would be a man cave prop.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back