Custom Designed TK/TB Carrying Case Project

StudioCreations

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Is it me, or does the Scifi Costume Community need a custom made storage bin developed to hold our various armors and replica props for hauling around to events? I use a military duffle bag with padded cardboard liner at this time to haul around my 'trooping' armor and it works okay, but not as well as it should.

I want to get some user feeedback about what sizes and shapes they would like to see in a custom made TK/TB armor carrying case.

I figure the basic specs need to be able to fit all the armor components of a TK armor, and a separated area for the helmet, and a possibly separate area for a medium sized replica weapon (E-11 sized, Not MG34).

Let the discussion/ideas begin....

I built my case after my 1st event. My first mode of costume transportation was woefully inadequate. :lol

I use a hard case made of plywood covered with a Vinyl laminate. It has wheels on one end which allows me to roll it into and out of the venues I troop. It's lockable and VERY solid.

case2.jpg

It has a divider inside that I installed and then covered with eggcrate. My helmet fits on one side, and my suit on the other. My blaster is strapped to the inside of the top of the case. I also have spaces for my shin tools, a pouch for my gloves and small items (batteries, etc.), and I now have a mirror mounted there as well (they come in handy - believe me.)

case%20open%204.jpg

Since Fett is a "hitman", more or less, that's what I designed my case to look like - a hitman's case. :D

I've been using this case for 4 years and have done about 100 events while using it. It's been to multiple cons, and has survived them all. :thumbsup

I looked into getting an ATA flight case, but they were ~$300+. Mine was only $39.99 at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. With some mods, it has turned out to be the perfect case. :D

I don't thinks there's a perfect "one case for all" solution. I think if you want a "custom" case each person will have to make it to meet their needs, like I did.

One day I might upgrade to a Hardigg (when I get $600.). :lol

Thanks,

J

Thats pretty sweeeet Fetthunter, wife and i Just use the biggg tote Walmart has on wheels, its light and u can put just about any costume in it.

Originally posted by Fetthunter@Jan 19 2006, 02:36 PM
I built my case after my 1st event.  My first mode of costume transportation was woefully inadequate.  :lol
[snapback]1163003[/snapback]​

I love that case more every time I see it. Excellent work Fetthunter, I have seen the pocs you have posted before. I need something like that for my DV costume, I use two tote scurrently, one for the hard parts and capes and one for my FG helmet, gloves and pleather suit.

Wasnt that the point of the GT website.... spacepack.com or something like that? They were making quasi sandtrooper looking backpacks with hinges that opened up compartments. They looked pretty cool.

True, the spacepack had some spacein there, but the spacepack didn't hold all the armor. It was too thin to hold all the components of the stormtrooper, especially the helmet. I want to custom design something that holds the entire costume.

If any of you can post images of the containers that you currently use, that would help us visualize a design needed to hold all the parts that various people would carry .

I like FettHunters use of the container top to hold the replica weapons, small props and a mirror. Very ingenious use of space.

This is the carrying case that I have been using for 3 years. It is a Deluxe Golf Guard bag. I got it for about $25 (used) at a local golf store. It has wheels and I can pretty much throw it around without any problem ;)

Everything...........I mean everything (full set of my armor, E11 blaster, 2 set of undersuits, boots, helmet) for my TK fits in there. Legal to take it onboard a plane and has flown with it a few times - no problem.

canon%20a70%20001.jpg

canon%20a70%20003%7E0.jpg

canon%20a70%20006%7E0.jpg

canon%20a70%20008%7E1.jpg

canon%20a70%20007%7E0.jpg

Originally posted by DarthKahnt+Jan 19 2006, 09:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthKahnt @ Jan 19 2006, 09:08 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Fetthunter
@Jan 19 2006, 02:36 PM
I built my case after my 1st event.  My first mode of costume transportation was woefully inadequate.   :lol
[snapback]1163003[/snapback]​

I love that case more every time I see it. Excellent work Fetthunter, I have seen the pocs you have posted before. I need something like that for my DV costume, I use two tote scurrently, one for the hard parts and capes and one for my FG helmet, gloves and pleather suit.
[snapback]1163332[/snapback]​
[/b]

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It made making the case worth it. (actually being able to get all my gear to an event safely made it worth it. :lol )

Unfortunately, my jetpack is the size of a small child. I have a fiberglass one, and it needs its own case, but right now I'm carrying it in a bag designed to carry a large number of clothes. With a smaller jetpack and some re-arranging, it's conceivable that it could fit in my case. It would be a TIGHT fit, though. :confused I don't mind carrying an extra bag/case for the jetpack. It's so large it's almost like a seperate costume. :lol

The biggest thing for me would be something you wouldn't have to hide. something that looked good enough to be a prop lying around

Originally posted by TD5422@Jan 20 2006, 04:53 PM
The biggest thing for me would be something you wouldn't have to hide. something that looked good enough to be a prop lying around
[snapback]1164019[/snapback]​

You could stuff your armor into one of those R2 Pepsi coolers that were out a few years ago, then hide drinks in it while trooping. ;)

Seeing as how props sometimes have a tendency to "wander off" at events, I'd be scared to make it look TOO much like a prop. :confused

I've got SW and 501st emblems and decals on the outside of it, so it resembles a band's equipment case in a way. It might not be a "prop", but I don't mind setting it with my other "real" props. It's a conversation piece, for sure. :D

I use Rubber Maid tubs for my gear.
The one my Desert Trooper is in holds everything but the pack.
It's painted up to look like an old cargo container with alien writing on it.
It gets strange stares at the airport. :lol

I have another one that my entire Fett fit's into including pack.
The missle and thrusters are removable as is the RF on the helmet.

If your looking for the Military type containers you can get them cheap (under $20) at Military Vehicle shows.
A friend of mine picked up 2 of them, ones large enough to store his Astromech in.

D6

Forgot to mention that I sometimes use a Nam era weapons drop bag that I picked up from Sportsmans Guide a couple years ago.
It's a padded fold up cloth case (kinda heavy even empty) with long straps to sinch it closed and backpack style shoulder straps.

I've used it to carry a complete Snow Trooper and my Colonial Marine complete with weapons. (not both costumes at the same time :lol )

nice thing is it folds up to stash or could be used to cover a table for displays.

D6

I saw at a place here in orlando called skycraft a box that I had planned to use for my Fett that would have been perfect. It was originally designed for a robotic arm that builds cars or something. It was great about 4 feet tall and wider at the bottem then the top. The top was about as wide as a fett helmet and about as deep if you pulled out the padding that was in it and replaced it. It was tall enough to fit the jetpack in it with the missle attached. The case on the outside looks like a missle should have been in it. It locked i like 4 places very strong. I only didn't buy it cause I didn't have the cash for it, when I went back they were out of them but they said they would get more soon. I will swing by sometime soon and see if they have anymore that I can take pics of.

Well...after I fashioned some roadcases for my band equipment for flying gigs and such, i figured the next bst thing from trooping wares...would be road gear. Once I get out of Boot Camp in a few months (I leave in bout a month) I am gonna get the materials.

Mainly...its the same thing as Fetthunters, sept a little stronger..has 2 - Quarter Inch thick plywood with a .060 thick black abs outer coating and a similar decimal thickness of aluminum between the plywood with rigid foam on the inside.

Then inside it I'm gonna make it custom fitted for my helmet. If all goes well im gonna make 2 seperate cases, one for upper, 2nd for lower and weapons and back pack. then I can make it form fitted for everything, arms, legs, helmet...all that good stuff...AND, you can check it on the plane. Probably even do them Gate Checked.

The biggest thing to consider when designing (or shopping for) a storage bin for armor is to ensure that it not only holds all the armor safely, but will actually fit in your mode of transportation. I scratch built a really nice replica of the "scanning crew" box from ANH, fit all my armor inside and everything...only to learn it wouldn't fit in my trunk, through the back doors or anywhere else in my car...now I use rubbermaid modded a little to look like a scanning crew case.

Originally posted by tk5378@Jan 22 2006, 07:33 PM
The biggest thing to consider when designing (or shopping for) a storage bin for armor is to ensure that it not only holds all the armor safely, but will actually fit in your mode of transportation. I scratch built a really nice replica of the "scanning crew" box from ANH, fit all my armor inside and everything...only to learn it wouldn't fit in my trunk, through the back doors or anywhere else in my car...now I use rubbermaid modded a little to look like a scanning crew case.
[snapback]1165486[/snapback]​

Yeah, and make sure you can pick it up, too. :lol

My case is built so well that once it's fully loaded, tt's tough to lift it high enough to get it into the cargo area of my SUV. :confused

I can't imagine lifting a fully-loaded ATA instrument flight case and trying to position it into my truck. :confused

Even a composite case (like a Hardigg) is freakin' heavy empty. :unsure

Well usually, when I go to an event...i have someone with me...or even if I were flying out...I would have someone help me get it in my car, and there is ALWAYS someone to help you with your bags and such at the doors.

Then when you bag check, they take it form there.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back