Star Wars Asteroid Field Diorama 1/270 Scale Tie Fighter vs. Millennium Falcon

Kingramos1

(Updated Spoiler Photos) More Updated photos for the Jakku Millennium Falcon diorama. As I mentioned before, working in this scale is rough and I haven't had a lot of time lately! New photos at the top of the thumbnail thread.

Here is another 1/270 scale Star Wars (SW) Fantasy Flight Miniatures X-Wings diorama that I recently completed. It’s the scene from the Empire Strikes Back “Asteroid Field”. The large “asteroid” (lava rock) was purchased from Petco for less than $5 (USD), and it’s generally used for aquariums. The smaller ones were handpicked from our flowerbeds…Super cheap! I’m keeping the scale small; the footprint only being an 8”x10” picture frame, $6 (USD), with the glass removed and replaced with 1/8” Craft Plywood that is covered with black (adhesive) material sheet. The base is sprinkled with white paint, in an attempt to represent a space. It looks pretty good up close, but I’m not sure how the photos will show that detail. The lava rocks were sprayed with a sand/gold Testers spray paint, with a smell that took about 3 weeks to dissipate. Whew! I weathered them with black and maroon dry chalk applied with a dry brush. The photos are a bit over exposed so some of the detail may be hard to see (still learning to take photos for this scale). The Falcon is held in place with 22 gauge stem wire (flower arrangements), and the Tie Fighters with 18 gauge. The Falcon, while made of the same material as the Tie Fighters, is significantly heavier, hence the need for the larger wire. The ships are all anchored into the lava rocks by slowly drilling small holes with masonry bits and held in place with some CA. Similarly, the lava rocks are attached to the base with screws and a very small amount of liquid nails. The porous nature of the lava rocks makes this drilling/attaching process very easy…just take your time if you use this method.

I know I may be cheating using these completed SW Miniature X-Wings, but I just can’t help myself right now.
:D My current project does have me modifying another SW Miniature X-Wings Millennium Falcon from the “That’s one’s garbage!” scene from the Force Awakens. I’ve already modified the radar dish, and just completed the landing gear (spoiler photo attached)…I can tell you that this has been pretty challenging for me in the 1/270 scale, but I’m doing my best.

I hope you all enjoy, and I appreciate any feedback.

Please checkout my other SW diorama:
Death Star Trench Run Diorama 1/270 Scale Tie Fighter vs. X-Wing

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3310.jpg

IMG_3352 (1).jpg

IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

IMG_3435.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the diorama idea, Kingramos. Have you considered putting it into a 'shadow box' form? That would allow you some further features such as hidden suspensions, lighting effects, etc. (You could even depict one of the TIEs exploding or 'spinning away' after a collision...) Very effective in this scale.

Regards, Robert

PS: I found Google doesn't have a lot of 'upfront' info on shaow box dios, but this one from Bob Letterman is a good example:
http://www.bobletterman.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/limits-of-glory-copy1.pdf

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the great feedback...I really appreciate it. Robert, thanks for the shadowbox idea; I really hadn't considered it, but I will certainly for the future. I like the website that you posted, and the possibilities are endless with shadowboxing. I do plan on incorporating lights into my dioramas in the near future. Woodland Scenics has a great product, Just Plug Lighting System, with nano lights that can be used for micro building.

Regards,

Bill

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back