The Graflex Legacy Builds - Office Set Up!

JaxAndTheMoon

Sr Member
Welcome to my build!

As per the norm these days, I am a proud owner of a Graflex flash gun. I picked this up off of Ebay around July of this past year for around 300, back before the price jumped up to the crazy amounts that it is now that the movie is released. My friend has been holding onto it for a long time now for me, since I was deployed for the majority of this past year.

Mine is the one on the far right. He has a few himself, including his fully finished one that he built back while we were in high school. I ordered the parts kit from Roy (Thank you Roy!) which arrived exactly on Christmas morning!

We took the parts over to his house where he has a work bench and a few tools left over in his garage. We looked at the blueprints for the grips and started working

Having steady hands, I used a dremel tool to cut the rough 30 degree angles and he took each one and hand finished them with fine needle files.

They turned out great.

I wish there was more progress photos for the outside, but since it's only a few grips and a bubble strip, there's not much to it.

HOWEVER! For Christmas, I got myself a fancy new DSLR. Ok, it's not that fancy, but I was super excited for myself to finally be able to take good quality photos of my work now. So with my super amateur photography skills, I went to work outside.

The box is my friends, who is a blacksmith and has all sorts of cool trinkets laying around, which includes plenty of boxes and chests. The skull was conveniently just sitting there in the mud as I walked outside, so it seemed like a cool idea to pose with it.

Once I get back to my place, I will be creating a crystal chamber that I have to design. The camera is amazing and I love how these photos came out! Now I'm going to have to photograph all of my work all over again... There will be more to come for this build once I start making some progress!

-Jax

Last edited:
Re: ANH Graflex Legacy WIP

Looks a great lightsaber indeed ... love the wooden box too :)

I can't determine from those great out doors pictures, but did
you add the D-ring already?

Chaim

Last edited:

No I didn't add the D ring, strictly because at the moment I can't fully convince myself to drill through a vintage piece. Once I gut it to create the inside electronics, I'll probably be more swayed to do it.

If it's just for display, you could always fake it by cutting off the top of the rivet and gluing it to the D-ring clip. That's what I do because I don't want to drill mine either.

If it's just for display, you could always fake it by cutting off the top of the rivet and gluing it to the D-ring clip. That's what I do because I don't want to drill mine either.

Wow I actually didn't even think of that... Now I feel stupid! That's a great idea. I think I'll work on that tonight!

No I didn't make it unfortunately. It's my friends box, and he's got a bunch of random ones that he has acquired
I don't suppose he would know what that particular box was originally made for, would he? That would help with web searches :) It really is a nice box.

Nice job on the saber, and the shots too :thumbsup

I don't suppose he would know what that particular box was originally made for, would he? That would help with web searches :) It really is a nice box.

Nice job on the saber, and the shots too :thumbsup

Thank you! He says the box was acquired by his dad about 30 or some odd years ago in the mid western US. He says that he'd be willing to make replicas based on the design/dimensions of that box if you would like. I'll get him to comment on the thread about if you'd like

No I didn't add the D ring, strictly because at the moment I can't fully convince myself to drill through a vintage piece. Once I gut it to create the inside electronics, I'll probably be more swayed to do it.
I felt the same dilemma long ago when I didn't even have a Graflex in possession. When I consulted the members here at the time, I had gotten one response that I feel is fully logical and consolatory at the same time. The person pointed out that these units--albeit vintage and somewhat rare--are only valued due to their involvement with the Star Wars franchise, which necessitates that it represents a lightsaber hilt and not a camera flashgun. Also taken into account the fact that these units are still fully functional as a flashgun even with the hole drilled addressed the question for me once and for all. Only under display considerations for the purpose of showing the item in its original condition would it ever be a relevant question, in my opinion.

The next question that I tackled with (and still tackling now) is what holes to drill, since these units serve for both the ANH and ESB models, and once the bottom is drilled, it's permanently modified to hold either of the two D-rings and I prefer drilling holes in such a way that the bottom can hold either D-rings at a time without showing any significant signs of dual accommodation. Though I haven't done anything physical yet, I currently theorize that carefully drilling the ANH hole at an acute angle to the ESB holes would make it such that the ANH ring would cover the ESB hole closer to the center of the bottom and only exposing the hole closer to the rim. But if I had to choose one, I'd go with the ANH setup for two reasons: first, that it is the original detailing of the lightsaber that may have carried over to one or more of the other heroes/stunts involved in ESB/ROTJ, making the Kobold ring merely a detail variant, and secondly, that having the belt ring closer to the middle of the bottom holds the hilt more snug against your person, thus minimizing swinging of the saber when you walk with it, which I've seen at a convention is quite ridiculous.

One last thing I've been trying to figure out is whether to use a rivet or a button head screw which requires a locking nut on the inside of the bottom. Obviously, the rivet is easier to install, but harder if you ever want to take it out. On the other hand, inserting a locking nut inside with the battery spring present probably isn't going to be an easy task either. I'm fully open to suggestions on this point...

Oh, and beautiful pictures!

I see you completely went with the ANH setup, so I presume you prefer that over the ESB. I feel more or less the same, except I prefer to maintain as much continuity as possible to the ROTS version. Although this saber may have originally been constructed with 7 grips and a bubble stip, it had only 6 grips and a circuit strip when it passed to Obi-Wan. Same goes with the control box position. This means the differences were modifications done by Obi-Wan during his stewardship of the piece in an attempt to restore it to the original state he recalled after maintenance work. So, for me, my Graflex would look something like this but with the ANH D-ring:

s-l1600.jpg

This is just my preference for general continuous representation. I understand that another is to have the saber in whatever latest state is shown (ESB) on screen, which is fine also.

Last edited:

Oh, and beautiful pictures!

I see you completely went with the ANH setup, so I presume you prefer that over the ESB. I feel more or less the same, except I prefer to maintain as much continuity as possible to the ROTS version. Although this saber may have originally been constructed with 7 grips and a bubble stip, it had only 6 grips and a circuit strip when it passed to Obi-Wan. Same goes with the control box position. This means the differences were modifications done by Obi-Wan during his stewardship of the piece in an attempt to restore it to the original state he recalled after maintenance work. So, for me, my Graflex would look something like this but with the ANH D-ring:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NRAAAOSwHaBWjHC2/s-l1600.jpg

This is just my preference for general continuous representation. I understand that another is to have the saber in whatever latest state is shown (ESB) on screen, which is fine also.

I like that idea, now I'm probably gonna have to look into making a ROTS version too! But no I actually prefer the ESB version than ANH, but I didn't find enough justification to drill into the body of my Graflex in order to make the prop. Luckily I have a Parks Replica and now the new Graflex 2.0, so I will be continuing my builds to include all 4 versions of the Graflex sabers

Thank you! He says the box was acquired by his dad about 30 or some odd years ago in the mid western US. He says that he'd be willing to make replicas based on the design/dimensions of that box if you would like. I'll get him to comment on the thread about if you'd like
Well that's a very kind offer, but the vintage nature of the box is the main appeal for me, personally.

Well that's a very kind offer, but the vintage nature of the box is the main appeal for me, personally.

I know what you mean, I love the vintage appeal of it as well. I wish I could happen upon one for myself but unfortunately I wouldn't have anywhere to put them

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back