Am I REALLY the only one disappointed with TFA?

sithman66

First, I started a new thread so as not to belittle, argue, disagree with, or denigrate those that liked this movie!

If you did, then go for it and continue to enjoy it and please do not read on!

but for me Episode 7 was a complete let down, here is why for me:

episode 7 : the force snoozes.

episode 7 : the slight and unimaginative "re-imagining" of Episode 4; A New Hope!

Another desert planet??

Another desert planet orphan?

Another desert planet orphan that has information about a Death Star super weapon inside a droid that the bad guys desperately want!!??

A beach ball droid designed purely to sell toys to 8 year olds!!??

Another "Death Star"!!??

Another final battle against the Death Star!?

A character from Lord of the rings running the "first order"!?

they could have made the whole kylo ren grandfather/father thing surprising and/or suspenseful instead of just throwing it out there so unimaginatively!

kylo ren looks nothing like either Han or Leia!

with two crew member......where exactly are the TIE fighter engines?

Han dies and Chewie and Leia just walk past each other afterwards without even acknowledging it let alone consoling each other.

They may be "the first order" but they are not even a fourth rate Empire!

kylo ren would be an embarrassment to Darth Vader and is THE lamest SW villain ever!

I think the whole creative process got away from them when they came up with and congratulated theselves too much for the whole defecting stormtrooper idea and then this:

jj: " I know!......instead of Threepio having a silver leg,.......let's make his arm red!"

Applause from the production staff! ; "brilliant jj!"

jj; and let's reverse the colours the TIE fighters to make the different too!"

" Brilliant jj!" respond the staff!

Seriously!!?????

Is this all ya got??

and THE worst bit of disney direction for the new movies: the little Titan AE, Yoda-esque Character saying: " the lightsaber called to you"! WTF?

Can the horrible 8 year old humour and disney channel laugh track be far behind?

PS, capitalization given only where deserved!

So is it just me?

I would like to hear that it's not!

Thomas

The films all have callbacks/echoes to each other, rehashed plot points are intentional throughout the entire series and will continue in VIII and IX

no, not the only one. there is a thread already just like this one.
there is no way people of a certain age can go back to 1977 again when things like this had never been seen in that way before.
only young children can go back to that time that is no more.
peter pan is a nice thought but adults have to be adults at least partly.
nostalgia has been described as containing not just a little tinge of pain.
waxing poetical...lol

Last edited:
There are many who didn't rate it. I thought it could have been far better - not as though they didn't have time to think up a strong believable follow up, was it. I hate the way that they had to drag all the old cast back, what was the point of the droids in this film! I think by limiting the personnel it limits the scope of any story and voila!
The coincidenceses in a Universe so large the stolen Millennium gets caught up in a tractor beam from a ship owned by Han and Chewie. The next bit that followed was unnecessary and made it feel cheap.
Some of it was okay but it sure as hell is nowhere near as good as any review I read made it out to be. I think give it a couple of years and it will rank along side the PT.

The critics had dramatically lowered expectations after the prequels.
(Low expectations from everyone worked wonders for Fury Road this year.)

TFA works like ANH did - as a movie. Neither one holds up very well to rational analysis on the ride home.

Show me a movie that holds up to rational analysis on the way home. I'll show you a movie that is nowhere near as fun in the 12yo sense as ANH or TFA.

ESB raised the world's expectations unrealistically high for the rest of the franchise.

Yeah, upon first viewing, I was very disappointed. But I saw it a second time, to give it a second chance. I wanted to like it... It is Star Wars after all. And, well, I didn't hate it as much. Everything they've said about it? It's all true. The plot parallels ANH to the point of plagiarism. Some things (like the much cited rathtars) just scream "this is not your Star Wars". Many of the criticisms leveled at the PT could easily be applied to TFA. Anakin's fall was too abrupt? How about Rey going from Luke ANH to ROTJ force abilities in one frickin' day!

Even if the PT was bad, at least it was the same kind of bad Lucas had always given us. There was some comfort in the familiar. I won't go as far as to say that the PT can be entirely forgiven, but I can honestly say I liked two of them better than TFA.

There WAS a thread dedicated to those who didn't care for the film but it got merged into the "love fest" thread.
The reason the first one was started was so that it didn't rain on the lovers parade and also to try and avoid flame wars. But it was merged and now the comments are about how they are sick of hearing the negativity and calling people haters, lol. That was the EXACT reason the original thread was started (to avoid such confrontations), but.... Mods felt it was best.
Just be prepared for this thread to get merged into the "love thread" and then buried within that thread where your comments and any others who didn't care for the film will be bashed and buried :lol

Last edited:
to be fair, the thread was on the beligerent side at times and amounted to some seeming like they were wailing and beating their fists on the floor...about a disney movie for crying out loud.

to be fair, the thread was on the beligerent side at times and amounted to some seeming like they were wailing and beating their fists on the floor...about a disney movie for crying out loud.

It's funny that it only seemed that way to those die hard "lovers" who couldn't handle any negative comments about the film. They were told if you don't want to read the negative comments then just stick to their love thread and not bother coming into the hate thread.... But they couldn't handle knowing there were negative comments out there, so they just had to read them and feel the need to respond.

agreed( personally i have yet to see this movie).
this is responding to post #11
which means it seemed that way at times to me and not having any feelings about it one way or the other.
meaning there was definitely some wailing and beating of fists on the floor and it didn't seem that way just to a blind lover of the movie.

Last edited:
I really need to see it again!!

I enjoyed it but I was expecting to be blown away and I kinda wasn't! But I did have some goosebump moments - intro (as always) and death of You know who!!

I think JJ packed too much in to this and the film would be a lot better simply with things taken out.

In order of what I remember:

Millenium Falcon - didn't like the way it was bashing / skipping along the ground in CGI glory - just rewatched the OT and much more realistic

The Freighter CGI monsters - this was the big "oh dear" moment and took me back to the prequels with those stupid CGI monsters - it was unnecessary and looked out of place.

C3PO was annoying as soon as he was on screen in a prequel way - he was kind of unnecessary (well his quips were)

Kylo Ren should have kept the mask on - it was too soon to reveal himself and the mystery about him gone too soon

Snoke looks bad - hope its just the hologram and he looks less like a prequel character when we eventually see him

The new "Cantina" owner was again too much prequel CGI looking (would have preferred a puppet) and the lightsaber discovery could have been done better

The "new death star" was totally unnecessary - should have just kept it as a battle

Rae was a bit wooden at the start acting wise but eventually got up to speed (guess confidence)

Think they overdid the comedy a little (lines etc) for my personal taste

I think with the above fixed it would have been more enjoyable and stronger film (especially freighter scene monsters and death star taken out)

Things I loved:

New Characters
New Storm Troopers
New Droid
Kylo Ren
Overall Sets
The more subtle humour (Storm Troopers recognising Kylo in a bad move hence depart the scene)

I really believe it would have been superb with some things removed!

Last edited:
Oh I thought it went a long way toward putting those demons to bed. It isn't perfect, and I wasn't blown away but I did like it. I liked it even more the second time around.

You're not the first to bring up these points. There are at least 2 or 3 other threads where others have said the same thing. Please read those threads before starting a new one.

By the same standard why isn't anybody critical of Fury Road for being just as derivative of The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome? Max is the reluctant savior of a bunch of people he encounters in the wasteland and is the only one who can protect them from an evil gang.

In The Road Warrior Max falls in with the great northern tribe. In Thunderdome it’s those Blue Lagoon kids. In Fury Road it’s the brides. Max starts by hating those people and ends up being their reluctant savior.

Lord Humungous = Aunty Entity = Immortal Joe.

Gyro Captain=Jedediah=Nux ... heck, they even used the same actor for the Gyro Captain and Jedediah

All three movies feature a "promised land" (north coast = "civilization" = "Green Place") where the people want to go and inevitably end up at Bartertown/Joe's Citadel.

All three movies have the exact same climax featuring a large rig of some sort pursued by smaller vehicles.

In fact even less happens in larger arc of these films than in SW. Max begins and ends in the exact same situation and lives the same story over and over again in each movie.

And yet Fury Road is universally praised... that's because, like TFA, it's one of those films whose virtues are in the execution and the journey. TFA has special meaning for those who have known and loved Star Wars and felt something was lost after 1977 or 1980.

(yes I'm going to dupe-post this in the other threads)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back