JP mosquito egg/ shiftknob/ the quest for the perfect cane

DWVinny

Threads have been merged. If you are reading this for the first time. Over the last few years Ive been obsessing over the John Hammond cane. Constantly tweeking and updating the tiniest of details. In an attempt to make the best replica possible. I started by making shifter knobs, for cars. Which quickly evolved in to making full size canes as well. The shifter knobs are slightly larger than the cane topper. (Mostly for strength and feel) Here are a few pics are of progress from the prototype amber egg shift knob to some finished pieces as of Oct 2017. Feel free to comment and or offer suggestions/critique. Ill do my best to continue to update, as things change or progress ;)
IMG_20151228_164623.jpg IMG_20151228_164633.jpg
20171003_205155.jpg20171003_205204.jpg
20170804_131727.jpg20171003_204803.jpg
20170927_171751.jpg

Last edited:
Re: JP mosquito egg/ knob part deux

Here's a few more pics of the separate pieces. I made the egg mold as a one piece silicone mold. Its kind of a pain to extract them, but the end result is way worth it. Much less finishing work and no ugly casting lines. I haven't cast the spacer yet its still just painted wood. Hopefully Ill get that done in the next day or 2.

IMG_20151228_164554.jpgIMG_20151228_164548.jpg
IMG_20151218_184120.jpg IMG_20151224_150810.jpg

And the Previous knob for compaarison
IMG_20151130_172543.jpg

Thanks guys!

Creative, So this is for a car transmission knob? Nice!
Yes indeed..Some people have been using them for cane tops as well.. I figure this latest incarnation with the spacer stands on its own so well. Its something that could even be used as a desk or shelf item if some so chose. Once I get more mosquitos Ill probably make one for myself as well.

Very cool. I like your idea of using the top of the cane as a base. Looks very cool.

I love the shifter knob.

Ive decided Finding and buying mosquito's is not only a supreme pain in the ass. But also not screen accurate. So I took a stab at sculpting my own instead. Still need to make a few tweeks but Im pleased overall. I dropped it in some resin just to see how it will look.

IMG_20160202_155123.jpg

sculpt # 2.. After mulling over the photos I think Im gonna make another one , and add in a few more tweeks and details. But I feel like its starting to look pretty good at this point.

IMG_20160204_120032.jpg

How do you sculpt a Mosquito? Do you just use parts from different mosquito and glue them together like a Frankensteins monster? or is a sculpt in the traditional meaning, with clay and stuff

Real mosquitoes were used as well as faux. Just depends on the scene.

Neat project, just the same. :thumbsup

Ive decided Finding and buying mosquito's is not only a supreme pain in the ass. But also not screen accurate. So I took a stab at sculpting my own instead. Still need to make a few tweeks but Im pleased overall. I dropped it in some resin just to see how it will look.

View attachment 586170

How do you sculpt a Mosquito? Do you just use parts from different mosquito and glue them together like a Frankensteins monster? or is a sculpt in the traditional meaning, with clay and stuff

Yeah I sculpted the body from polymer clay, made a mold, and cast it in resin. The wings and legs are melted down plastic and the antennae are a not so secret recipe LOL
I didnt take a pic of this particular body beforehand but heres a snap of another one that didnt quite turn out right.

IMG_20160204_141320.jpg

Heres another pic of the build up painting and adding the legs and antennae
IMG_20160203_190436.jpg

For the ones in the pic I scratched the lines in plastic (cut from a bottle) with a needle. Painted over the entire surface with burnt sienna, then rubbed off the excess.
Ive been working on a few different things to get them to look proper. I attempted printing on transparency that was a total disaster. The ink bled and they wrinkled/ rolled up. Making them in resin wont work because they look too dark when painted, or become invisible after being submerged in more resin. I have a buddy who thinks he can print nicer ones for me on transparent paper he has at his shop so we'll see how that turns out. Hopefully good because Ive been wasting a LOT of materials . LOL

I attempted printing on transparency that was a total disaster.
You could print on those transparent shrink plastic sheets, That way the lines would shrink down in size and still look good on the "wings" But the wings might get too thick,,,but that could be sanded down perhaps on one of the sides.

Yeah I think that would be too thick. We'll see how this stuff my buddy has works out Ill report back with my findings.

Its becoming an obsession to make this sucker look as realistic as possible so Ive resculpted it multiple times and will probably tweek this one more still lol..
But.. I think I finally got the body to a point that its looking pretty close to the screen caps from the movie. Off to make a mold! Comments ? Suggestions?

IMG_20160205_134704.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back