2016 Orlando Megacon

I am definitely going to be there Friday and Sunday, but will buy the three day pass just in case! Frank Miller!

As for building parties, I am trying to schedule an evening each week to be out in my shop. I would be more than willing to have others over if it keeps us being productive. I live near Disney property, just off of 535 and 536. Let me know if this would help anyone.

As for the meetup I am all ears on ideas on where you would like to meet. I was thinking somewhere like BART (video game bar), Cloak and Blasters (bar, board games, and nerdy decor), Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar (Indiana Jones, Rocketeer, Star Wars, and Marvel easter eggs abound) or Aku Aku (a tiki bar). Let me know what you think.

This will be a good year!

I'm interested in a meet up, but I usually drive down to the convention (I'm on the other side of Orlando) early one morning, see some panels, buy some stuff, and go home sometime that the afternoon to walk my dog and rest my feet. If the meet up is a different day I might go, but until they release the schedule I won't know what day I'm going.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

I'm not sure I will have the money to go, as much as I may want to, we just got hit with $1,400 in vet bills (keep your sugar free gum away from dogs everyone!) but I may be able to lurk/ghost/whatever around the convention center on a couple of the days. I just want to people watch a bit, and my favorite thing with events like this is to witness cosplayers in the wild around the venues, going to McDonalds, drinking mocha frappuchinos, all that funny stuff. I'm new to the area, and sacrificed most of my crafting/prop stuff capabilities for the move, so it would be fun to meet up with some RPF'ers and get close to some of that stuff again.

I'm not sure I will have the money to go, as much as I may want to, we just got hit with $1,400 in vet bills (keep your sugar free gum away from dogs everyone!) but I may be able to lurk/ghost/whatever around the convention center on a couple of the days. I just want to people watch a bit, and my favorite thing with events like this is to witness cosplayers in the wild around the venues, going to McDonalds, drinking mocha frappuchinos, all that funny stuff. I'm new to the area, and sacrificed most of my crafting/prop stuff capabilities for the move, so it would be fun to meet up with some RPF'ers and get close to some of that stuff again.
I feel your pain. My dog kept getting urinary tract infections. They were pretty sure what the problem was (recessed vulva) but did some tests to rule out anything more serious. So the tests plus the surgery to make her vulva non-recessed cost around $3k. Lots of points on Discover.

Luckily they were able to induce vomiting and get the gum out of her belly, while also monitoring her glucose levels overnight, so she'll be home this evening, but man what a sting to the pocketbook. She's worth it, but it definitely still hurts.

I went yesterday and I hate to say this but I was pretty disappointed..it was super small and insanely crowded, not entirely organized..and the smoking section was the main entrance which sucked if you're not a smoker. Although I did pick up a few things, overall it wasn't anything special. Hopefully the one in October won't be like this.

I went yesterday and I hate to say this but I was pretty disappointed..it was super small and insanely crowded, not entirely organized..and the smoking section was the main entrance which sucked if you're not a smoker. Although I did pick up a few things, overall it wasn't anything special. Hopefully the one in October won't be like this.
Where did you go?

I don't think I'll have the money to go now...but, I'll still go and just walk around the hallways and take pictures. Thats still pretty cool to do and doesn't cost anything.

I feel like Megacon has gotten a little too, well, mega. The schedule is only preliminary, but the few panels I am interested in are spread out over all four days. And there are only a few of them so I do not want to buy the four day ticket and spend most of my time looking at over-priced "merchandise". Decisions, decisions.

Just got my shipment notification for the wristbands. The crowds have been tough to navigate in the last few years, but I will be there Friday/Saturday.

Costumes I'm bringing...I'll be there all 4 days and also at the Moshi Moshi Party...If any one see's me feel free to stop me and say hi...

Matrix Reloaded Neo
12011264_784968241614615_7402185224004920838_n.jpg
11988592_784968268281279_5517953488432087115_n.jpg

Sith Lord Starkiller
11230588_784509811660458_5885022435545146353_n.jpg

Last edited:
So were only a few days away from Megacon, does everyone have there costumes finished?...or are you still working on your costume?...

Last edited by a moderator:
No costume for me. I'll either wear my RPF Wolverines shirt or Spectrum shirt.

I'm brand new to the RPF, but I've been going to MegaCon for a few years. I've scaled back my cosplay this year, but will likely be walking around as Robert Baratheon (maybe dead Robert Baratheon) from Game of Thrones.

I feel vaguely disappointed with this year. I think a lot of it is because I only went to one panel, John Cusack (he did not have a good opinion of the candidates). I left the convention around 3:30. I usually go to the costume contest, but that was moved to 7:00pm. I was going to go to the Haley Atwell panel, but I misread some information and missed it. And the panel I always go, voice actors reading movie scripts, was moved to Sunday AND it was a script they had done a couple years ago. Some of the costumes I saw walking around were great, but a lot of them were not very good. I saw a good Zap Branigan, but I had to deduct points for not using crushed velour. Actually, it got off to a bad start. I bought my ticket and then they had a Disney style line you had to snake through to get in to the show.

Another problem: The MegaCon app. More than half way through and some sections still say things like "Placeholder". Very helpful.

The good stuff was I got a picture with William Shatner and I got to spend some time talking with PJ Haarsma the producer for "Con Man".

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back