Make a custom sci fi grenade challenge!

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok.

I was originally going to do this as a WTB thread in the JY, but I realized that it has been WAY too long since we had a competition of any sort on the board. At least one I can remember off the top of my head.

The idea behind this is simple. Make a sci-fi grenade out of hardware components. Be as fancy, or as simplistic as you want.

I am putting together a display for him as a house warming gift (suckered another one into the hobby! HAH!) and part of said house warming gift is a "sci fi" weapons display. Mostly going to be repaints of nerf guns, but some other stuff will end up there.

Now, I can make a grenade or two myself, but where would the fun be in that?

So... the rules of the game.
1: has to be hand grenade like. not looking for a suitcase nuke or anything. It can, however, be a bioweapon (hint!).
2: has to be at LEAST 50% hardware. if you have spare parts from other resin kits or just wanna scratch build some stuff, awesome. I don't want to see fully custom machined grenades on the contest though. Not everyone has access to a CNC or a lathe. (plus, check the prize out. not exactly winning the lotto there champ.)
3: has to have a switch, or a button for it to click or be pushed. He just wants SOMETHING on it to be interactive. clicks, lights, things to push/pull, something to fiddle with.
4: HAVE FUN WITH IT.
5: Bonus cool points (may not enhance your chances of winning) if you post a tutorial of how you did it. The world needs more tutorials.

Prizes -
1: 25$ (to buy said hardware grenade from winner)
2: Random piece of K rock from my collection, or 15$ paypal.

Both my friend and I will be judging, but feel free to post up your vote on any that show up. He is really looking for something that clicks and lights up, so if you can wire a basic switch up, you have a chance! If you can glue a button or a switch to PVC, you still have a chance!

If this gets some responses, and a mod wants to help judge, feel free to post up :)

Get creative guys!

No "real" deadline yet. That's why it isn't in the first post.

We talked about it, and since work (even cheap work like this :lol) can vary so much from person to person, we didn't want to set a time limit on there.

It's going to go at least a month, maybe more.

I think when the interest dies down (if it ever picks up) I will give a "one month to go" or a "2 weeks till the deadline!" update for it.

I plan to make my own version, but obviously I can't win cause I am a judge.

I like the idea, don't know if I will be able to do it (still have an unfinished timer on my formally rain soaked bench) but I will try.

Can we submit more than 1?

No limits on submissions at all. Just make sure it falls into those 4 rules and it's all good :)

I am off to hit the local plumbing place to see what I can find to work with :)

Sounds cool. Work is finally slowing down slightly (hopefully). I had to bow out of the Sliders timer contest due to time constraints, but something a little more open-ended on time and less restrictive on source materials (my local dollar stores either had nothing useful, or are no longer "dollar" stores) would be more workable. In any case, I'll give it a shot. Besides, I've got some great junk just sitting around that would work well for the purpose...

Jim

It is like you read my mind. I had just started this little prop on the 7th.
SO what the heck I will submit it to the contest:
Here are the parts used,
1 lid from a junk machine toy bulb.
1 plastic ball shaped maze thing.
2 sections of plastic tube.
1 junk flashing key chain thing.

Glue and paint.

parts1.jpg

ger1.jpg

ger2.jpg

ger3.jpg

and a video of the light sequence, the button (top center) activates it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGE-qAHt3sk

Guyver.

Very cool design!!! I dig the lights on the top :)

I didn't get much done with mine yet, but I am snapping pics as I go, so even in the event it's a total failure, there will be a log of what not to do :lol

Can't wait to see more ideas pop up!

It is like you read my mind. I had just started this little prop on the 7th.
SO what the heck I will submit it to the contest:
Here are the parts used,
1 lid from a junk machine toy bulb.
1 plastic ball shaped maze thing.
2 sections of plastic tube.
1 junk flashing key chain thing.

Glue and paint.

parts1.jpg

ger1.jpg

ger2.jpg

ger3.jpg

and a video of the light sequence, the button (top center) activates it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGE-qAHt3sk

Guyver.

EXCELLENT work, better than the MR thermal detonator :thumbsup

Not a serious entry in the challenge as it does not meet the criteria, but thought I'd throw it in (no pun intended) for laughs. My Centurian grenade.

CylonBombLR.jpg

So you can get a sense of scale, here it is next to a lifesized NASA astronaut suit

CylonGrenadeLR.jpg

I got the parts ready and also the electronics. But I would be ready to show some of it in a week or two since I had to send them to a friend of mine to Dremel some holes:love

Grenade

Not a serious entry in the challenge as it does not meet the criteria, but thought I'd throw it in (no pun intended) for laughs. My Centurian grenade.

CylonBombLR.jpg

So you can get a sense of scale, here it is next to a lifesized NASA astronaut suit

CylonGrenadeLR.jpg

that G36 is disgusting:lol

Great looking work everyone!!!!

I am still sort of working on mine as well. I keep having great ideas and then suddenly realize that I cant make those parts by hand heh.

This is still an ongoing thing, with no rush to finish at all.

Love the cylon suicide bomber :lol

Chris

It's been a fun little project to do. My wife has taken to filming me while I'm working. So you might see a how-to video blog come out of this.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back