Art of SW:TFA - Any good?

Considering the beating he got off Chewie and Rey and now there are likely to be other Jedi around ,I think its a dead certainty he will have both armour and a new helmet in the next one.

I know realize that the only reason han was making such a big deal about the bow caster was to prepare us for the shot at kylo. So we get a sense of the impact

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

For what it is worth, I really like this book quite a bit. It has a lot of text that explains how modern spectacle films are developed, and it gives some context to how the story evolved. Keep in mind that I loved the film, and while I think there are legitimate criticisms about re-using familiar story beats, I pretty much have ZERO problem with that fact.

The art isn't as accomplished or as iconic as McQuarrrie and Johnston, but those guys were breaking new ground and creating an entirely new aesthetic. I also think that, for all his shortcomings as a film maker, Lucas has an exceptional eye for design and when he sees something he likes, there's a good chance it is a solid design. The prequels and the Clone Wars are bursting at the seams with brilliant design work. Lucas's absence can be felt here, I think, but it isn't to say there aren't lovely ideas and conecpts being exp[lored by the pre-production work showcased. What the Force Awakens art book does show is a fair amount of really cool concepts that were reigned in for good reason. The art is good, the designs are neat to see, but I also appreciate that things were shaped and refined into what we see in the finished film.

Short ver: no.

If you want a look at the de-evolution of concept art over the last decade or so, then okay you'll see where we've headed; you'll also catch a few glimpses as to where the current crap video game art 'aesthetic' has overreached its bounds. And with 30+ artists on the film, plenty of insight to the in-bred culture that pervades the discipline these days.

One or two stand-out artists, but they aren't concept guys and their works reflect that. In all, wait til it hits the bargain tables, and if by then you give it any thought or are a completist etc....

THIS ^^^^ is the best review I have seen about the TFA art book. I ordered it from England since the prices were already skyrocketing, similar to the first Iron Man art book.

While I do like quite a few of the graphics and the costume designs, I found the way they presented the designs a bit off. What I love about the older books is the documentation of the creative process, e.g. how Vader and Yoda were developed. The results are presented, but how they were achieved, what creative decisions were made is IMO missing.
Instead they chose to present us with a timeline of the developments, something that we usually get with the Rinzler books.
And then there is the concept art that seems to be missing, paintings and visuals that we saw in spoiler threads before.

The designs themselves are indeed showing how "inbred" some of the artists are thinking. I must say that the prequel designs already made me feel that way about the designers qualities. Everything seemed very repetitive and self-referencing, cool contemporary designs instead of something innovative.
The quality that Joe Johnston, John Barry, Ralph McQuarrie brought with them, the freshness of combining real world experience and knowledge about how things are built and how stuff works or actually may work or react to its environment seemd to be missing. I felt this to some extent in TFA, although not as clearly visible as in the PT.
The new design crew can draw and paint, but IMO they lack the real-world background. Game designs, yes.
The new trooper costumes stand out, and reading how the costume designer mentioned the influence of Apple´s designs made my heart sink a bit. While the environments are grim and gritty, the trooper costumes IMO lack the subtle terror that an OT stormtrooper conveyed with its skull-like helmet. The flame trooper and snow trooper with its soft features is even worse.
Some of the ship designs in the book made me wonder if they probably were rejects from other movies. The bubble ship in the book reminded me of the Oblivion ship a tad too much.

But I digress. At a price point of 24,95 USD I can recommend the book to erveryone who wants to look at contemporary graphics design. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I still enjoy the OT art books.

Out of curiosity, what ARE the best star wars books for concept art. I have a Japanese art of Ralph mcquarrie book that is supposed to be complete, but I feel that there must be others out there

Aw, jeez... um... All of them? Every one I've gotten over the years has had shortcomings, but also something unique to it that I appreciate. I have all the Art Of... and Making of... books, the McQ book, the costume books, the ESB Sketchbook... They all combine and contribute to the overall tapestry, and I think trying to pick out one would be like trying to choose my favorite instrument in the orchestra.

--Jonah

Out of curiosity, what ARE the best star wars books for concept art. I have a Japanese art of Ralph mcquarrie book that is supposed to be complete, but I feel that there must be others out there

The complete works of Ralph McQuarrie do not equal a comprehensive look at Star Wars production design. He was primarily a graphics artist, later on he did designs, but there are quite a few other very important and influential people in the design family that must not be overlooked.

I love the drawings of Joe Johnston,....he's got a Sketchbook for the three OT movies,......they along with RMQ, give me that Star Wars buzz......make me want to go scratch building

TlX3wfc.jpg

tumblr_mvfih21FOt1qao1lqo5_1280.jpg

joe_johnston_koncept_1.jpg

J

Last edited:
I love the drawings of Joe Johnston,....he's got a Sketchbook for the three OT movies,......they along with RMQ, give me that Star Wars buzz......make me want to go scratch building

http://i.imgur.com/TlX3wfc.jpg

http://40.media.tumblr.com/ac290f7fbabb64efda13d7d058b38bf1/tumblr_mvfih21FOt1qao1lqo5_1280.jpg

http://www.mandayaim.com/images/tworcysw/joe_johnston_koncept_1.jpg

J
Cool. I'd love that one.

I have all of the model books but I'd love to see more concept stuff.

Now that I think about it, I'd love to see clone-era concept art. I have no idea about that stuff

Man,I ripped off so much stuff from those books making up characters when I was young! Back then nobody else I knew had those books, so I could just use whatever concepts I wanted and no one ever knew the difference. As long as it was an unused idea, I was in the clear!

Yes, I know......horrible....but I was a kid...:rolleyes

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back