Art of SW:TFA - Any good?

I wish Jakku had been the more watery world shown in some of the images.

--Jonah

I totally agree. I also liked the idea of an active "breaking yard" over the notion that we're seeing debris from a space battle (seems like an odd amount of destroyers survived re-entry and surface impact relatively intact) although one would think a breaking yard for massive spaceships would be...in space. Lol!

Last edited:
I too though the ship designs in TFA were overall "meh", but I don't mind Han's new ship. I just wish we could've seen more of it. I like that it actually looks like a freighter.

Yeah that one shot doesn't do it justice. It really looks like a dirty old frieghter. Maybe in the directors cut we may see more.

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

I totally agree. I also liked the idea of an active "breaking yard" over the notion that we're seeing debris from a space battle (seems like an odd amount of destroyers survived re-entry and surface impact relatively intact) although one one think a breaking yard for massive spaceships would be...in space. Lol!

The pics of the wrecking yard in the book are awesome and yes it would have been fantastic if they went that way. I really like the art book.

Now I kind of want to see this book, but the other part doesn't because if the TIEs are way more cool I'd be ticked.

I have the visual dictionary,incredible cross sections,and the art book and I'm enjoying all three. They add a lot to the story esp the Visual dictionary.

Ben

I wouldn't say the unused TIE designs are way more cool but they're neat at least. I do find it interesting that they decided to restrain themselves and use OT-style TIE fighters with some very slight updates and practically identical profiles. I do wonder why they didn't at least use any OT style TIE bombers or interceptors. Maz's castle and the Jakku villages were practically designed to be bombed by TIE bombers and TIE interceptors would've been perfect for intercepting the X-wing attack on Starkiller base. I also thought the absence of A-wing, B-wings and maybe even Y-wings (or any newer versions thereof) or any all new "letter series" ships to be odd though that could be explained away that they were with the Republic Fleet and the bare bones Resistance simply didn't have any. Apparently the base we saw in the movie is literally all there is to the Resistance.

Last edited:
That's why I keep thinking that they were given a directive to stick to the ANH formula. I might be wrong, but a lot of stuff in the movie was pointing to that.

Now I kind of want to see this book, but the other part doesn't because if the TIEs are way more cool I'd be ticked.

I'll spare you the indecision, but put it under a spoiler tag so you can choose...

Fighters_zpss28qd9xa.jpeg

There's a lot of cool stuff in there I wish had been in the film... A shot with a crashed Star Destroyer in the foreground, with another in the background -- and a crashed Mon Cal cruiser over to the left... A little more homey-looking AT-AT for Rey, with some awnings strung and a vaporator... Rey having an "Ugly" fighter, cobbled together out of a Y-wing cockpit, X-wing port engine assembly, and god-knows-what for the starboard wing... A version of the First Order rally with a proto-Hux wearing a red cape (they could have done with a bit more color... A concept for Kylo's shuttle that married the best design cues of TIE and Lambda in really nice ways...

--Jonah

Last edited:
That's why I keep thinking that they were given a directive to stick to the ANH formula. I might be wrong, but a lot of stuff in the movie was pointing to that.
That's exactly it. It was branding. They were trying so hard to avoid being Lucas that they omitted anything that didn't echo ANH. It's like they didn't trust their audience.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I'll spare you the indecision, but put it under a spoiler tag so you can choose...

There's a lot of cool stuff in there I wish had been in the film... A shot with a crashed Star Destroyer in the foreground, with another in the background -- and a crashed Mon Cal cruiser over to the left... A little more homey-looking AT-AT for Rey, with some awnings strung and a vaporator... Rey having an "Ugly" fighter, cobbled together out of a Y-wing cockpit, X-wing port engine assembly, and god-knows-what for the starboard wing... A version of the First Order rally with a proto-Hux wearing a red cape (they could have done with a bit more color... A concept for Kylo's shuttle that married the best design cues of TIE and Lambda in really nice ways...

--Jonah

That would be slightly better. I still think the best choice as far as looking like a direct progression, is the TIE Avenger, which looks like they took Vader's prototype and made a production fighter. I may have to pick up that or thumb through it if the store has it and I feel cheap. :lol

I would have loved to see those ties onscreen. I was disappointed that they didn't go with the original Rey's home. As it is its a bit bare and doesn't quite look homely I guess. There's alot in the book that may get used in future episodes,at least I hope.

Ben

I liked the idea that she had her own quadhopper. I think there was art that showed one stowed within the belly of the AT-AT. It would've made more sense to why she figured she could fly the doomed one they initially go for and show she does have piloting experience in general.

They also could have showed inside her "house" that she recovered a New Republic flight sim off one of the crashed ships. I can't remember, but did she bring BB8 inside? If so they could have had him comment on it. That would have made it more realistic that she could fly the Falcon well enough to try to fly it inside the wrecked SSD. The only problem there would be that it would probably be worth a lot of money for her.

I think they only show BB-8 after the interior shots of her home. She's eating a meal outside and hears him. She apparently had some prior experience as a pilot but we just had to take her word for it. In the movie she almost seemed surprised she could fly the Falcon like she did so there may have been something more at play.

Yeah, it seems they wanted to make her more destitute in the actual film than in the concept art, I guess the arguement being that if she was such a hot pilot and capable mechanic that she'd have worked her way off planet by her twenties ,by either putting her own ship together instead of having to trade everything she found , just to eat and stay alive, or saving enough money to buy passage off Jakku. At least thats how I read it in the film. Poverty line slavery basically. So the "homestead" artwork got a down grade when made into a set, so its just a hovel now.
It was the right decision. Same applies to the change with Jakku being a desert not a waterworld breakers yard. Not only did Abu Dhabi offer generous tax breaks to shoot there (just like the UK ) but working with water on a set is generally held as a " nightmareish" task, as crew and cast grow to loath the conditions, its very weather (and H&S) sensitive and its hideously expensive , both pre and post shoot , to clean up the footage VFX wise. Which is why VIII has had its Jedi temple sets shifted to the main Ireland coast now to shoot footage, rather than travelling to Skeligg (plus it keeps the enviromentalists happy).
Interestingly another goodcall was to drop the widely rumoured Resistance "Warhammer" sequence from TFA. Rereading (page 180) I caught the reference artwork of it smashing up FO SDs and the first thing that came to my mind was "Why don't the SDs just jump to hyperspace?" Again one of those concepts that would look great but makes no sense at all. And if they had something that size why won't they just smash up the FP base with it . Or just chuck asteroids instead.

^ Except if she was waiting there for her family to come back and get her, she wouldn't leave the planet.

As for:
Interestingly another goodcall was to drop the widely rumoured Resistance "Warhammer" sequence from TFA. Rereading (page 180) I caught the reference artwork of it smashing up FO SDs and the first thing that came to my mind was "Why don't the SDs just jump to hyperspace?" Again one of those concepts that would look great but makes no sense at all. And if they had something that size why won't they just smash up the FO base with it . Or just chuck asteroids instead.

One word: Interdictors. But in general, yeah it's a silly idea.

--Jonah

Good point about the compulsion about her family coming back and her not knowing a thing about where she came from. Just seen TFA for a second time today and I have some thoughts and observations on it.

I really think some of the other "Jedi Killer" designs were a hell of a lot better than what we ended up with for Kylo Ren.

Well, that's actually quite possible. Maybe he's more insane than ever. We last saw his helmet on the catwalk and it seems unlikely he went back and retrieved it before the base blew up. If that's the case, it's plausible he'll have a new one in Ep. 8 and maybe a new ensemble to go with it.

I sure hope so. I loved a note in the book from one of the designs that "Kylo dresses like Vader to screw with Luke's head".

2be5c558faf17575e6999c957bd80058.jpgtumblr_o0p55eZELs1rlheeoo1_r1_400.png

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back