Chewbaccas bowcaster build...FINISHED!

Re: Chewbaccas bowcaster build

Hi all
so more bondo and sanding and im nearly finished reshaping the front end. Filling all the unessasary holes and hacksaw gouges also. Making a lot of dust! Heres pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 84

Ok have more to add. Been slow going with this but i think Im ready to wrap up sanding and shaping the frame of the bowcaster. Not exactly the same as the horton safari but i think its close or closer now then when i started. Sanded and filled sanded and filled. All unessasary holes have been filled. Went over it with 220 and plan on wet sanding it with a scotchbrite pad and 400 sandpaper. Gonna prime it and sand again then use a satin black. The pics show what it looked like and how it looks now. I have scope rings for the singlepoint and the small ring is from the airsoft scopes I bought. Does anyone have any ideas how to modify the small scope rins to work the the large ring pictured?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 81
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 87

anyone? Any ideas? If not i may make my own scope rings based on the original mounts.

Picatinny/Weaver crossbow rail, with tri-way scope mount. Look them up for airsoft on ebay.

Sent from my SM-G530P using Tapatalk

OK finally got some paint on the bow caster today used Krylon fusion for plastics satin black I like the way it looks. Only problem I can see is that the paint looks real smooth on the areas where I use the body filler but the bow caster has a texture on the plastic it's self it is not smooth I guess that so you can help hold onto it when you're using it as a crossbow. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these areas even? Should I spray the paint on the really heavy and wet to try to fill in the texture or is it best just left alone as it is ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 78

Yeah Im thinking the same thing. The real movie props were painted fast and dirty for the films so for now Im going to leave it as is. Gonna start making the riser for the scopes, the scope mounts and the sideplates.

I would sand the textured parts. The real bowcaster is very smooth - it's cast aluminium very well cleaned up - no visible seams or casting imperfections and it's coated in black nylon. Satin black is the best choice to match it.

Apparently that's why so few of them were made - too much work!

Thanks for the advice. May just do that this is tough plastic to sand. Might try 220 wet and see how that works. I could try coating it with a thin layer of glazing putty but that will put me back a step.

Took Kurtyboys advice and began sanding the bowcaster frame again. Im using 180 grit and its working pretty good at getting off the paint and the grain. Gonna go over it with 320 and wet sand with 400. Then paint again.... The saga continues. Lol

Hi all
trying to get back to the build. Want to get the scopes situated but i have scope rings that arent right and wont work. Been searching out more accurate ones and found a set on Shapeways which will cost 40 plus? Also been looking on ebay but buying two scopes still spending about 50 plus if im the winning bidder. So i think my plan is to build a set of 4 scope rings. After looking at pictures and the way they mount i think I can pull it off. I asking for help with dimensions. Need length i believe them to be 1 1/2 inches long? And any other measurements as well. Gonna use paper and thin cardboard as templates and go from there. Thanks

Thanks Kurtyboy. Ive solved my problem with the scope rings. Found a set that are close enough to work for 40 bucks. Using some cheapie aluminum scopes that have the right look.Didnt really want to spend any more cash but i figure the time it would take me to make 4 scope rings is worth the money spent. Heres what i bought. Gonna have to add the "feet" but shouldnt be a problem.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    601.2 KB · Views: 73
  • image.png
    image.png
    619.6 KB · Views: 73
  • image.png
    image.png
    634.2 KB · Views: 70

Hi all
Got the scope rings today! Pretty happy with them. Fitted them to the scopes and heres how it looks so far. Pretty happy with the assembly. Two of the rings I had to flip oppsite to get them to work but i think it looks pretty good although not accurate heres pics. Sorry pics upside down but will look right if you click on them! Lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 101
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back