Chewbaccas bowcaster build...FINISHED!

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all
Been a while since ive been here. I saw the new star wars last thursday and loved it! So ive been inspired to build Chewbaccas bowcaster. After doing some research it seems the base for Chewies weapon is the Horton Safari Magnum? Like everything else Star Wars these seem to be few and far between. So i found a horton explorer xl 150 frame. Stripped down frame. No bow or anything looks to me like a good starting point. Trying to keep the build under a hundred if i can. Ordered the pink high bounce balls as well. Looking for single point scope if not too much money or ill build my own. Heres a pic of the Horton.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Re: Chewbaccas bowcaster build

anyone have experience building this? Whats good for cutting out the frame? how long are the original scopes and what makes a good substitute?

I originally cut my plastic Horton Safari with a hacksaw blade then a lot of filing and filling/sanding until it was perfect. I'd probably use a dremel if I was to do it now.

Forgot, the Nikko Sterling 4 x 20 scopes are a good substitute. Also quite rare though.

I think around 11" long is about right but I would need to check.

Most of the info you need can be found in Macklin's Bowcaster thread if you search for it.

Thanks kurtyboy and marv. Whats a reasonable price to pay for a single point scope? Looking at a couple on an auction site but like building my own stuff. Any good tutorials on how to build a single point? Saw long time ago but cant seem to find it?

Ok been pouring over pics and build threads and confused about how the scopes attach to each other and how they mount to the crossbow? Any thoughts from the experts out there?

Thank you so much for the great pics and the explanation. The rings on your scope are different than the ones i will be using. What are they called been looking for a set.

Ok thanks. Ive decided to build a single point scope after looking at the blaster builders club scope tutorial. pretty sure I can make it realistic enough to work. On that site the scope is about 5 inches on another site the scope is over 6 inches which is correct?

Those are typically called split ring scopes, and they don't really make them anymore. I've found a variety of that type, but only on vintage scopes from the 70's-80's.
I may have a Nikko Sterling 4x20 at home. I'll check when I get there, but I think I took the scope rings off for a different project some time ago.

RE: Singlepoint scopes... This past year I've seen them go between $150 - $300 depending on front type as well as condition. There is a cone front and a round front version. They are relatively scarce.

Just checked my SP scopes - 2 are 184mm, 1 is 185mm, and 1 is 186mm, All measured from the front of the clear tip to the very end of the scope.

Edit: Cone front, off course, as on the pics. The rounded are probably a little bit shorter.

Thank you mugatu and lichtbringer both for your info!. Well Mugatu for 300 dollars I could build several pvc single point scopes! although as every star wars propbuilder knows theres nothing quite like having the real thing!

Hi all
decided to try my hand at building a single point scope. Started with a 3/8 aluminim tube and a couple of pvc couplers. Cut and glued them on then made my red filament by cutting off part of a ballpoint pen and colored it with a red sharpie. This gave a nice translucent effect. For the clear cone im using a cap off a throat spray from the drug store. More pics to come as i progress.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 140
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    917 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    726 KB · Views: 112

Hello
just opened up my horton stock from the box. Im hoping someone can help me with a couple of measurements which will help me determine if i can use this or not. Im looking for the measurement from the area where the sideplates go width and length if possible. I know this is not the proper horton but im thinking i can make it work. Thanks

ok I measuredthe height at 1 and 3/8ths on my Horton at the area just in front of the grip between the area where it curves upward to inside the sideplate cutout area. is this too small? the Horton safari looks like less of a curve in that area.also the length in the cutout area where the sideplates would go appears to be a little less than 5 inches. how does tis compare to the safari?

Ok so no answer? Heres another question i have does anyone know what size the rings are on the single point scope? Cant seem to find the info here.

Not sure what you want to know - if you post a pic of your bowcaster with lines painted to know what measurement you need .........

As the tube of the scope is 1", the used rings are also 1".

Thank you
heres pics with markings where i need measurements.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back