Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

that group has a tendency to make people feel that way.

Your costume looks great and you should be proud to wear it, don't let them take that away from you.

Thank you. I am proud of it. I just feel like her last comments weren't helpful in any way, just nitpicking without giving anything constructive. My judges for my Jakku Rey were very helpful, giving me specific ideas to improve and gave encouragement. I like to think not all judges are as mean as she is. Maybe there are different judges for new people vs people who are already in the club? I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could very well be they're more nitpicky because this is a more complicated costume with some very distinct construction details (like the ladder faggoting and the blanket stitching on the edges). But I agree. Don't let it get you down.

But my suggestions would be this: pick up some pearl cotton embroidery thread (it is thicker and has a distinct twist) in a color close to the light color in your herringbone. You'll probably need either three or four skeins, and go ahead and blanket stitch the edges. It's a really easy stitch to do and it'll make the garment look great. (You can do it while watching TV or Netflix... that's how I get through all my hand sewing without dying :p) It’s what I'm using on the edges for my vest, and I really like the look.

I really hope you do finish. It's been fun to track your progress here.

Thank you that's actually really good advice. Do you think I need to take out the stitching I currently have?

I think you could leave it! For simplicity's sake, and if you want to be done sooner.

But to really get the look closer to the film version, I would take out the stitching and redo it so the edges are raw, and then do the blanket stitch. That'll really help get the ragged, frayed look the film version has. Your fabric looks like it'll behave really similarly to what's in the film (I'm using a cotton flannel herringbone for my prototype and it's not behaving the way I want it to lol).

Thank you that's actually really good advice. Do you think I need to take out the stitching I currently have?

Sorry I missed most of this! I have been researching the bloody gauntlets today to make mine more screen accurate. Stupid hole pattern! (btw you don't need that to get in, I'm just slightly obsessed with this costume)

Okay, so it looks like you backed the seams with a darker fabric. You want to back them with the same herringbone as the rest of the shell of the vest.
20160810_175451.jpg

As for the blanket stitch, yeah it needs to be raw and look like this:
20170201_142439.jpg
You want to use what's called a closed blanket stitch. For the best look, done by hand with doubled up regular thread or two strands of embroidery floss.

Don't get discouraged, we're here to help. Mine is approved, and I've done a total of 8 versions of this costume, not including all the commissions I've completed. I haven't had anyone tell me they haven't passed yet. I got your back. I wish I was one of the judges, (I think I was like the third Resistance Rey they approved) and I was approved right way. I have been working on this costume for so long, I really could help those who are trying to get theirs passed. Maybe I should apply lol. Anyway, let me know if there is any other way I can help. I have a whole build album on FB here if you need it. It shows all my different versions up to version 7. Don't be discouraged, you got this! Heck, I've been making these for over a year now and JUST figured out how to do the closed blanket stitch by hand! (my machine can do it, so I was using that before!)

Yes don't get discouraged, you are so close. I know the feeling of just wanting to be done with it, but just look past that and know just a little more work will not only get you that approval you were after, but also make the costume look better!. You want both of these things and they are within your grasp. You've got this!

I agree that if you just change the seam backing to the same fabric or your vest or just some fabric in the same color (I used felt in the same color because it gripped the fabric really well as I made the ladder stitches, that will fix the princess seams super easily.

As for the blanket stitches, I wonder if the reason the judges say yours aren't blanket stitches because the horizontal stitches aren't regularly spaced. Could your machine be acting up? I know it takes a while to do it all by hand but like the other posters said, if you use embroidery thread and just go slow during TV time you are going to love the end result.

And remember if your vest was a lost cause, the judges would have just rejected it outright, correct? They're having you make changes so that means they also think the costume is closer to approval than not. Try looking at it that way! Don't give up, we're all here to help

Thank you guys for all your encouragement! I'm going to give the blanket stitch another go, I just wish the judge explained it the way you all did! :)
As far as the back seams go, I don't have any of the original wool so I will get something close to it, hopefully I won't get dinged for that. I'll keep you guys updated:)

Thank you guys for all your encouragement! I'm going to give the blanket stitch another go, I just wish the judge explained it the way you all did! :)
As far as the back seams go, I don't have any of the original wool so I will get something close to it, hopefully I won't get dinged for that. I'll keep you guys updated:)

YAY!!!
And if you have a hard time finding a similar colored fabric, let me know, I have some extra wool I think would match yours if you need it.

YAY!!!
And if you have a hard time finding a similar colored fabric, let me know, I have some extra wool I think would match yours if you need it.

Awesome thank you! I'll take a look around and see what I can find, if not I will take you up on that for sure

ALL THE STITCHINGS!

Regarding the edge blanket stitch – I think the Triangular blanket stitch on the screen costume is made by machine: http://www.merrow.com/sewing/applications/5514
I had tried to reverse engineer the stitching, but it is a pain with one needle/one hand.

However, the look can also be achieved by hand, this is the hand version: http://www.french-knots.com/closed-blanket-stitch-embroidery-how-to/

My machine has a 9mm wide blanket stitch that Mimics the Merrow stitching well, it looks like _ _/\ _ _/\_ _

I think the goal here is to make sure it is indeed wraping the raw edge, and that the thread you use should be a fluffy dull cotton thread, not the mercerized shinny/smooth silk/nylon/poly sewing threads.

Regarding the princess seam/shoulder seam Ladder stitch, As I mentioned before, the stitch should be even and parallel to each other. Which is SUPER hard to do with a straight needle to “pick up” the fabric that’s been Top stitched. So I suggest you try to use a Curved upholstery Needle. Not an easy thing to do regardless, but it’ll be an improvement from my lopsided ladder.

Regarding the eye lets on the gauntlet – There is a needle called Winged Needle. As its name sake, the wing punches/creates the fabric without breaking the yarn, so it is entirely conceivable (with wool fabric) you can stitch a pattern, iron to stabilize the fabric, then take out the stitching, and the HOLES will remain. Wool fabric tend to hold shape better due to its fiber characteristics. I am going to try it. Check out the stitching example here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WFez15rIgHg/T3MgdasFWSI/AAAAAAAAAKE/vwCEIUX0UJs/s640/035.JPG

I hope this helps us! :)

Last edited:
Great observations! I DID try the eyelet method and it didn't work with my wool :( I actually ordered some crocheted lace that is a similar pattern and I will see after dying how it looks when placed. If anyone else is successful doing the eyelet method, PLEASE let me know what magic you used!

I am making the pants finally - And those knee pads..... I wanted something soft, but anything that gives some much buff is going to be a tad too stiff. I want to avoid the knee pads being so stiff that it flats the pants!

I've got a grey bottom weight fabric with stretch, and want to use a trapunto quilting method in filling the "bubbles". what do you guys think?

Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapunto_quilting

I tried the size 120 and 100 winged needles, and it TOTALLY did not work. I think my fabric is too dense! how is your lace working out? I am going to try to pull some yarn from the fabric and try to do a sashiko mending and see if weaving it works. I was staring at the screen pictures for a long while, and while I think there is similarity of a pattern, I just don't think that's the intention.... it's just loose yarns weaving together.

Great observations! I DID try the eyelet method and it didn't work with my wool :( I actually ordered some crocheted lace that is a similar pattern and I will see after dying how it looks when placed. If anyone else is successful doing the eyelet method, PLEASE let me know what magic you used!

I am certainly a novice, but that stitch looks a lot like the blind hem stitch on my machine, which is amazing when you need it! I'm here learning with you, and love the kind advice everyone has given. You're doing a great job! You'll get this!

- - - Updated - - -

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170207/dcf78a1ae00e74511a79fd75d6e4960f.jpg Here is a closeup on the seams that were there. I decided to close them up with invisible thread so it joins together, hiding hiding the dark lining and resubmitted https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170207/44f2387454c01aba0bb1276800311cd6.jpg
and now she said: I think also the reason that I thought that there was dark piping along the princess seams in the back is because some of the actual seam back there looks like the seam might be separating and also the stitching is very uneven.
Sigh. I'm stumped. Also she said that this is not a blanket stitch. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170207/862713a1fe40bc51775e1ffbe53ba363.jpg maybe it has to be a hand stitched blanket stitch?
I'm not going to lie, I'm feeling super deflated right now. :(

I am certainly a novice, but that stitch looks a lot like the blind hem stitch on my machine, which is amazing when you need it! I'm here learning with you, and love the kind advice everyone has given. You're doing a great job! You'll get this!

This is exactly why I haven't started these gauntlets yet. They scare me. I'll share if I ever find something that works.

Gauntlets solved!

Leather hole punch with the pattern I posted before. I just used fray check on both sides and it worked wonders. I used permanent marker for the smallest "holes" as I didn't have a punch that small BUT I think now looking back that the smallest holes are just a regular stitch done with a wing needle. Anyway, here are a couple of photos of the results! I am officially DONE with my costume!
IMG_3401.JPG Falcon.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back