Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

Thanks so much for the info! I still have a lot of RIT Pearl Grey leftover from my Jakku Rey so I can put that to good use.
I've never seen Design Master sprays stocked here in Australia but hopefully I won't need anything else if my initial dye bath is strong enough.

It's just a shame that Dorr Mill hasn't or can't restock that other shade of herringbone.

Also thank you to everyone who has contributed in this thread. It's been such a help to me, and hopefully I'll have a Resistance Rey ready for a convention in late June.
I really like the idea of gifting a little something to fellow Reys so I might follow suit. I did make myself a simple laser cut Rebel Alliance/Resistance badge so I could always do some more to hand out.

No problem. And Design Master is hard to find in the US, too. I order mine from a company called Direct Floral, and they're great (the paint and Direct Floral). Not sure if they ship internationally, though. You won't need any if you dye yours right, though. I just ran out of time and cheated. It worked. Whew!

not really a "spoiler" just a new piece to this costume (revealed at celebration)

...I guess we will be making a poncho type cape.

eca27a098282ee7854c79e35115bf682.jpg

Last edited:
Phew what a long thread!! Just finished going through all of the pages and thank you to everyone who has posted! I got some great tips and ideas from the thread thus far!!

Just a few questions as I begin to work on my resistance Rey - mainly, did any of you use interfacing to stiffen your wool fabric? Did you interface the whole thing or only some parts eg - collar, front of the vest, peplum, etc? Also, did you line it? How? Facings, or a full self lined with the same fabric? And finally - if you lined it, did you just pin the pieces together and do the blanket stitch over the raw edges, or did you finish the edges properly before blanket stitching?

Lots of questions, sorry! :p I've just got my mock up exactly the way I want it, and I just wanted to be sure on the finer details before I start cutting into my herringbone fabric! Thank you!!

thx for posting that info.

I will have to totally re-make the shirt. My gray color is totally off and it is clear it is more of a cream or light beige. I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on what the shirt fabric is, since it appears to have a unique texture to it.

Also I see that they have changed the holster thigh strap where it connects. It is now using a stitched X on one side and the fastening stud has been removed on the other side.

So many exciting pictures in that story!

The fabric of the shirt is so interesting! There is also this shot, which appears to show that the shirt is two layered. That might be a part of its texture/look. Maybe its a very thin fabric. Or with a loose weave?

SWPIC.png

To me the undershirt in that shot looks like an entirely different one than the one used in TFA. If I had to guess it looks to me as though it might be the same fabric as her jakku shirt, but inside out.
Just my first thought when seeing that pic. We need better shots to tell for sure...

No, I do believe that the vest is still grey, as all the products that have been made for this outfit save the action figure are grey, such as the Hot Toys doll and the Pop figure.

not really a "spoiler" just a new piece to this costume (revealed at celebration)

...I guess we will be making a poncho type cape.

View attachment 724762

Yay! I was happy Jyn Erso had lots of layers. I froze in my Rey costume for TFA. At least this Rey has a warm layer for these winter premieres.

What do you want to bet when they switch to summer releases, all the costumes will be fur-lined capes and snow suits?

So while I wait for some materials for my Rey Jakku costume pieces to arrive I have started to try and figure out more about the rain cape she wares in the TLJ teaser. Given that so much of her costume seems to be sourced from WW2 era militaria I started there. I could find any WW2 British items that seemed the right drape and cut. But I did find this. Thoughts? It has the hood and the back drapes to a point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182616240664

RainCape.jpg

certainly in the ballpark, need to see the front of Rey's to get a better idea.
Says its cotton canvas, so maybe it could be dyed, but my feeling is the movie cape is not made from something that stiff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems a bit green to me, too. I used a khaki duck canvas for mine. Just found it in my fabric pile. Didn't even know I had it and still don't know what project it came from. But it worked well with paint and weathering and washing. Let me see if I can dig up some pics...nope, not easily right now. All still on my phone.

But I started tan and painted lightly with green. It was too much (it's always too much), so I washed and bleached a few times and it ended up looking pretty good.

Planning to make Rey's resistance outfit and read through this whole thread last weekend. It's been very informative and helpful, thanks everyone :D

@Redwillow Your tutorial for the backpack is great!

I am wondering if this fabric would work for it:

https://www.spotlightstores.com/by-the-metre/pure-cotton-duck/p/BP80259378-khaki

Or is it too green? Hard to tell without seeing it in person anyway i guess. :(

Hey a fellow Kiwi!! Or maybe an Aussie?? ;) Either way, Spotlight represent!! :lol I got my fabric for Rey's resistance bag from Spotlight, from the upholstery section - I'm a VIP and scored a 40% off voucher, so I managed to get the fabric a wee bit cheaper - totally worthwhile when buying upholstery fabric!! It's called "Brighton Cotton Canvas" in the "Linen" color, 150cm width. On Spotlight's website the color looks very beige, so I don't know if maybe the sales assistant put a different color in when ringing it up?? But this is the color of my bag:

IMG_6702.JPG

It's got a bit more green in it in real life, a khaki canvas color. This was just taken in terrible lighting at midnight :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back