Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

3f9747b04cf1650a96728f5630afd8d1.jpg
4c847cda5ef7133a6678792d7601ccb3.jpg

It's "The Dress" all over again! This is the fabric I ordered for my pants. I panicked when I opened it up because it looked so gold but then I put it in natural light and it looks grey. Hmmm. Cut a swatch off and have it in a grey dye bath to see if I can get more grey out. Will post my findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had very little luck with dying whole yardages and have them come out evenly. You MAY want to cut out the pattern pieces THEN carefully dye them instead of dying the whole yardage.

After a pause to finish up a Doctor Who costume for a Christmas gift and a "good enough for the premiere" Jyn Erso, I'm back to tackle my Resistance Rey --- maybe even get her finished and photographed by the end of the weekend!

Today I completed my pants. I followed the excellent tutorial by emeraldB/Redwillow to modify a $13 pair of American Eagle stretch twill trousers I found on the clearance rack at Marshalls. Instead of buying two pairs, I bought an extra-long pair in my size which allowed for enough fabric below the knee-cut-point to make my kneepads. I also took a shortcut for the thigh seam. Instead of cutting the pants at the thigh and re-sewing, I just did a pin tuck on the wrong side to give the same effect.

Also the pants were far too caramel-tan, so I dyed them with a mixture of dark green and dark brown Rit dyes. The yellowish lighting in my workspace really doesn't show the difference so wonderfully, but I'm very pleased with the olive-gray-dark beige color I ended up with.

IMG_20161208_234254.jpgIMG_20161230_135520.jpgIMG_20161230_142704.jpg

Next up is finishing the vest. I've put it off because I'm scared of getting it wrong with my limited fabric supply, but after three muslins and a felt mockup, it's time to just trust myself and go for it.

Worked on the vest quite a bit last night and wanted to try to get the faggoting technique on the back curved seams. I saw someone had posted a link to an article about using fusible interfacing but I was worried about anything sticky gumming up my needle.

So first I basted the seams about 1/8" inside the stitch line, pressed the seam allowance open, and then topstitched the seam allowances on either side of the seam. I then ripped out the basting and separated the pieces. Next I used a piece of gray flannel underneath the pieces -- flannel worked nice because it had a bit of grip, and carefully placed the pieces 1/4" apart, pinned the hell out of it to the flannel, and slowly went over my topstitching with topstitching thread, so the pieces were stitched to the flannel.

It actually worked out pretty great! All that was left to do was hand-stitch a ladder stitch over the flannel, being careful not to pull too tight. (I used low-budget pattern weights, also known as cans of soup and peaches, to make sure everything stayed in place during this process. I originally used plain thread for this, but disliked how it showed up, so tore it out and did it again with 3-ply embroidery floss, which made it show up much better. I repeated this process for the collar seams as well.

So it's moving along! Today I'm wrestling with the shoulder pads, and need to start on the gauntlets. Fellow Reys, any tips for gauntlet construction? I'm not sure of my pattern so I know some trial-and error is ahead. Any advice would be great!

IMG_20161230_202816.jpgIMG_20161230_212708.jpgIMG_20161230_193441.jpgIMG_20161230_202658.jpgIMG_20161230_185047.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @Redwillow, that's a great tip on the interfacing, I will go back and add that too. I made my gauntlets before I saw your post and it turns out my pattern draft ended up looking a lot like yours.

It turned out it wasn't at all hard, I measured my hand, wrist, and elbow circumferences, and measured from my elbow to my wrist and my wrist to mid-hand. I then used those measurements to draw corresponding long hexagon shapes, adding two inches on the outer topside for the rounded elbow peak. I sewed the pad on before I sewed the seam, and left about a 3-inch opening in the hand for my thumb. It was a lot easier than I thought it'd be, and I'm glad I did it before I finished up the shoulder pads because it made me realize how dark a thread I'd need to quilt this fabric.

IMG_20161231_202954.jpgIMG_20161231_230201.jpg

IMG_20161231_202954.jpg

IMG_20161231_230201.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back