Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

So as far as the seams in the back being C-shaped and there not being seams in the front, I'm going to have to beg to differ with you.
First of all, because the vest seems a bit tailored: these would be near-standard princess seams with a peplum. Secondly, because I pulled down a terrible camrip because I'm shamelessly obsessed with this costume and I have some really bad screenshots to throw into this conversation.

So these are the pics with the front seam highlighted. Now I will grant you that the seam is not nearly as obvious as the back seam, but I suspect it doesn't have the stitching on either side of the seam the way the back seam does. The first pic I've also drawn in the back seam for clarity. The second includes the actual side seam.

front seam 8.38 comp.png
front seam 8.33 comp.png
front seam 8.32 comp.png

These are the pics of the back seam. It comes straight down to the peplum seam which runs around the natural waist. There is also no centre-back seam, it'll have to be cut on the fold.

back seam 8.39 comp.png
back seam 8.26 comp.png

Hey.
This is my first post, I've been really interested in Rey's bag in the final scene. It's not the normal belt pouch (the 37 signals army satchel) or anything in the visual dictionary. Looks like a backpack with one arm cut off so it's slung on one arm. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

Hey.
This is my first post, I've been really interested in Rey's bag in the final scene. It's not the normal belt pouch (the 37 signals army satchel) or anything in the visual dictionary. Looks like a backpack with one arm cut off so it's slung on one arm. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

I can't answer for anyone else, but I haven't tried to analyze the bag too much (can't seem to get a clear view of it, mostly) but it looks like maybe a shoulder bag like the one she has inside the downed ship back on Jakku. Probably not the identical one but maybe a similar idea.

Thanks for clearing all that up better than i did Squelchbaker. I am a 1000% novice on all of this stuff i was just going off seeing what i could. The arms are amazing in your pics or as good as we can get so far. I looked all over again today nothing in magazines or books so this is all we got for now. I like the kinda elbow part with that part hanging out. I agree with you that it's Tailored that will be the tough part making one big enough for me :) well I will keep looking to find more for sure Thanks For your help and info. i feel there will be many shamelessly obsessed fans about this one for a while :)

Hi all. I'm not even finished making the first Rey costume and now I want to make this one, too. I just saw the movie again and was trying to study it on-screen so here are my thoughts.

The vest and arm guards are more complex than at first glance. There's the "C" shaped seam on the back of the vest already mentioned. The shirt has some type of collar now, too, I think. You can see it on the action figure illustration, and I caught a glimpse of it in the movie. It lays up against the collar of the vest so it almost looks like a double collar. The armguards also have an overflap on the back for want of a better term, where one side seems to wrap around and get sewn on top of the other. Or it could be a patch sewn on top. You can see it in squelchbaker 's pictures. The fabric looks like some type of wool weave. There are multiple colors going on, I think, including greys and browns.

The bag has the strap on the side and the opening faces sideways. Like a sling bag or very much like a backpack with one strap cut off like ig89x suggested.

Here is a trace of the photo. It's not clear what the closure buckle looks like, but you can see the sling effect. There is a buckle on the front of the strap across her chest. I think it's a slide buckle to make the strap longer or shorter because on the back you can see where there is a second layer of the strap where it loops through the square ring and goes back up to the front.

ReyBag.jpg

Last edited:
I feel this will be a nice Costume to create for CrossPlay. I know it wont be perfect but i feel I am going to try my hardest to do it the best i can with some small changes i don't feel i will have a shirt that is so low cut Still I will work hard at following what they have done. The cool Thing is already Thinking for the next movie what she may wear :) Endless Possiblites :)

Mithril I have just got here like this week posting wise. If you look for the options the says more reply options then there is a Yellow Triangle that you click then you can put i blieve text or photos i been putting my photos that way you put it in the middle of the link. Thanks for sharing your drawings they help Better than my scribble :)

Hey.
Thanks!

... The bag has the strap on the side and the opening faces sideways. Like a sling bag or very much like a backpack with one strap cut off like ig89x suggested.

Here is a trace of the photo. It's not clear what the closure buckle looks like, but you can see the sling effect. There is a buckle on the front of the strap across her chest. I think it's a slide buckle to make the strap longer or shorter because on the back you can see where there is a second layer of the strap where it loops through the square ring and goes back up to the front.

View attachment 569987

I think you guys seem to have the right idea, well spotted!
The next question is, is this potentially another modded military bag like her belt-bag in the other costume?

Saw it again today and the vest I'd almost say is herringbone weave wool because it definitely has a texture on it. It's hard finding that in a good color mix but I'll keep looking. It's a medium grey. The pants definitely seem a little brown if not brown grey and darker. I wish the concept art matched the fabrics choice better.

Yay! I am so happy to have come across this thread. This is the costume I am wanting to do for Calgary expo in April I hope more images become available soon with better pictures of the pants and shirt. But the images on here are a great help in at least getting one piece made. I just am having a hard time with the sleeve as well how would you say it should be constructed? piecing the top and making a flat bottom or kind of a quilting?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back