Working Kylo Ren Helmet?

Nice find Devilblades. Ive seen movie four times now and tried to work this out each time.

Im thinking like an old cassette opening mechanism. Except one that moves up also not just tipping forward.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the video!! I literally spent about an hour looking to no avail. I can definitely do this with either some small actuators or decent servos.

If anyone ends up doin it, let me know if you decide to make more. I would love to get my hands one one.

If I can throw my 2 cents in. Maybe we should try talking to one of the Iron Man helmet builders:
new_iron_man_helmet_sculpt_v_3_by_masterle247.gif
*Supposed to be a .gif .....

Last edited:
Servo with L shaped brackets? It would lift up and out.

Where are all the Ironman builders? They would be of help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Bruton on youtube is pretty good at figuring thid kinds of stuff out and I'm sure you could find some info on how to do the moving faceplate on his channel or website

are we sure it wasn't done with cg in the movie?

anovos said the prop was static.

The Hero helmet was likely static.

If this was done practically, that is likely all the helmet was meant for and it was likely a one off piece.... To be shot at one angle and do the effect. His hands are placed perfectly to cover up tubing or wiring running down his sleeve to someone offscreen to activate or control the mechanism.

With as much emphasis as JJ put on practical effects, I doubt he would have done something as easy as this with CG. Like Mold Maker said, the one that opens was probably just a one off that only did this.

My husband mentioned he saw something that looked like the L-brackets you describe when the helmet opened. I don't know where he saw that, but I'll check with him.

EDIT: He says he saw it in the movie, but doesn't recall exactly in which part. Could be the part where he takes off his helmet in front of Rey, I'm thinking. We'll be rewatching the movie again in January, and I'll pay attention to it then, but I'm guessing some of you will be watching it again earlier, so keep an eye out for that.

Last edited:
yes I have been thinking hard on this too. linear actuators are too big and don't get the right movement. servos would fit . it looks to me it's hinged at the top or the faceplate to keep it level.

Where are all the Ironman builders? They would be of help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree Lactard.

I was thinking something like a parallel lift mechanism. You will have to fiddle to get the right arm lengths. It looks like only 90 degrees of motion so if you measure the forward distance traveled should get you close. I would think a servo could drive that so probably look toward the ironman helmets for ideas on that mechanism. I just haven't looked to see how much room there is between your face and the front of the mask.

something like this
http://www.shtemax.cn/Image/20120110173206628.jpg
or
http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/Images/Details/372.69.901P1.JPEG

New member here, but I wanted to add my thoughts on this to the mix...
As space is an issue, why not employ L brackets and a spring mechanism to the face plate with a catch at the bottom. The release could fit just under the helmet, maybe a thumb stud...

As space is an issue, why not employ L brackets and a spring mechanism to the face plate with a catch at the bottom. The release could fit just under the helmet, maybe a thumb stud...
This is a good point especially since we never se it go down again

I was about to say the same thing. No need for motors. It's a coiled wire spring and a straight arm swing. It most likely works like those cheap folding lights you get for free that you attach to books.
booklight.jpg
Hack one of these into the front and you're golden

Sabs

My question is why does the mouth piece even move? The part against his mouth/chin stays the same distance away anyways.

-The Truth is Out There-

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back