The Expanse: Props & Found Parts

Re: The Expanse: Prop Weapons

I have to dig out all the XD Airsoft pistols - but here is a pic of a few. All though BLUE GUNS does not make the exact XD 40 as the WE Airsoft pistols like the Advance Glock 26 - they do make standard versions for those who might want to scratch build the rest of the parts. I will be casting the The Scratch build gun sights and airsoft will be cast separately and could be used to convert a rugged blue gun version - but the BLUE GUNS are made of some type of flexible rubber/resin composite that does not bond well with other resin parts. Painting the blue guns is a problem because paint tends not to bond with the surface. I am casting the whole pistol from the airsoft masters.

Can anyone identify the BLUEUGUNS type resin? It is strong and flexible. It is extremely durable and the resin would be perfect for "Trooping." But i do not know how to bond one piece to another. Epoxy fails after it drys. Superglue fails off after it drys.

Here is a picture of some of the base guns including the Tokyo Marui and the WE Advanced Glock. The Blueguns will hold paint with a primer coat - but will not retain it like the Smooth On Resin. Any ideas?

. The Expanse Project.jpg

BLUE GUNS are copyrighted products. Casting the airsoft for a cannon prop replica should be fair game. Adding the cast prop pieces to the airsoft gun is possible - but would be difficult and ruin a $ 150.00 - $ 200.00 Airsoft Pistol. I want the Resin master to paint and apply decals Cannon to the Show as a Replica prop.

.WE Tech X-Tactical IPSC Competition Gas Blowback GBB Airsoft Pistol.jpg
WE Tech X-Tactical IPSC Competition Gas Blowback GBB Airsoft Pistol

Last edited:

Blueguns' catalog says they are polyurethane, but that's a fairly generic term, IIRC. Additionally, I recall them feeling 'greasy' to the touch – it's possible they simply need to be cleaned with a good degreaser in order to remove any mold-release agent.

-MJ

Blueguns' catalog says they are polyurethane, but that's a fairly generic term, IIRC. Additionally, I recall them feeling 'greasy' to the touch – it's possible they simply need to be cleaned with a good degreaser in order to remove any mold-release agent.

-MJ

I will try that - I have used a Clorox based soap and dish soap degreaser - The mix just is not porous and the surface does not have good adhesion.

Man I hate waiting a week for each episode. Some series come out a season at a time. This is killing me. Thanks for the screen caps. I think i can draw up the right details and measurements now for the Martian pistol. AWESOME.

I was curious at how difficult scratch building the Star Helix pistol details would be: What do you think of Panel 1?

Star Helix Pistol Graphic Panal  1.jpgAR9dgFT-A.jpg

Those markings on the gun are not just squiggles, they're some kind of decal or dry transfer or cut vinyl appliqué.

I think I know what the first one is ("Panel 1"). It appears to be a worn / altered version of a graphic used elsewhere.

Regarding the flashlight, be sure you get one that stays on; one that does not need constant pressure on a button to keep it on.

-MJ

Those markings on the gun are not just squiggles, they're some kind of decal or dry transfer or cut vinyl appliqué.

I think I know what the first one is ("Panel 1"). It appears to be a worn / altered version of a graphic used elsewhere.

Regarding the flashlight, be sure you get one that stays on; one that does not need constant pressure on a button to keep it on.

-MJ

I know the the "squiggles" are worn labels and the originals were logos an writing. I can clean it up and make the original if I know what it was - but then no two marking would wear the same way. I did the panel 1 as pre-distressed. As the show progresses - more graphics will pop up. I can make it anything.

I am working on a Quick 3D model to work out the details for the top gun sight - I mage a quick Flash compensator for reference.

WORK in progress: Martian pistol 3D test.jpg

(i know the compensator is not detailed - the idea was a quick reference for the measurements, details and spacing for the Martian gunsight.

Yep! I think you got it! Brilliant work MAN !!! That I can work with. : )

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect the graphic on the gun is upside-down, and the stripes have been altered, not just scratched-up. I'm not sure, but I think the text may be different, too.

-MJ
Yep! I think you got it! Brilliant work MAN !!! That I can work with. : )

More detailing - I am glad I took the time to study the pictures - The details are different than i originally thought. The 3d model gives it perspective. I thought that if i finished the 3D model - I could just have the darn thing printed and then cast the kit that way. Who knows. Should be another Expanse episode tonight! More detailing.jpgMore detailing 2.jpg

Gordon

just my two cents if I may. but from what I can see In the pic's. it looks to me as if the front two top tube's are the same diameter as are the back two...

Last edited:

I wouldn't finalize anything until the end of the season, anyway, which is sadly just 4 episodes away :(

Mining Charge

The rockhoppers' 'charge' seen in episode 6 appears to be composed of a camping flashlight/lantern made by Black Diamond (makers of the P&K suit lights) with added 'legs' and stickers.

It is either the Orbit or the Voyager, both of which have two slightly different model years (current and 2014 ver). Additionally, the prop maker may have mixed and matched parts from two different colored lamps to get what we see on screen with a minimum of painting. I cannot say for sure what model or parts were used. I suspect the top half is from a Voyager and the bottom half is from an Orbit, with a swapped button. I have not been able to ID any camping light with matching legs.

These lamps retail for $20 and up, which makes them one of the cheaper props used, unless you have to buy 3 to build one charge.

Attachments

• shot0022.jpg
    shot0022.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 295
  • shot0022a.jpg
    shot0022a.jpg
    974.6 KB · Views: 286
  • Orbit in Matte Black.jpg
    Orbit in Matte Black.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 291
  • Orbit in White.jpg
    Orbit in White.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 267
  • Voyager in Dark SHadow.jpg
    Voyager in Dark SHadow.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 256

just my two cents if I may. but from what I can see In the pic's. it looks to me as if the front two top tube's are the same diameter as are the back two...

I thought that at first also, but then looking a three or four angles - they seemed larger on the back and small in the front. The Martian pistol is coming later anyway.

I am snowed in - in Baltimore for the next three days. I am off. I am claying up the Glock base pistol today. Pouring side one of the mold is my goal. Side two in the morning. Maybe cast the first base gun tomorrow night. Depands on how much Oomo I have on hand. I want to pour it Black Onix. I will post pictures of the first pulls when they are done.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back