Help deciding on materials to buy

Geuse

Hello guys. You might be tired of me by now since I just ask questions and never show anything, but hopefully that's about to change.
To get started I'm planning on aquiring clay, casting and molding material. I'm interested in starting off with mold making and casting plastic parts. My first goal is to repair broken parts and toys etc.
Therefore I'd be very happy to hear what you recommend.

As I'm based in Sweden I found an online shop which ships from Netherlands - formx.eu

This is what I put together, but I'm not really sure if I'm using the right material for each job.
1. Clay for sculpting and clay for making two part molds. Can this be the same clay? I hate to have sculpting clay dry out and fall apart. Any suggestions there? Also if it is dried out I would like to continue sculpting on it with new clay. Any tips on that?
2. Also need a clay that adheres to plastic, the type people use to sculpt action figures.
3. Silicon resin for mold making. Can this be used on the body to cast body parts as well? And is silicon more durable than latex? If I'm set out to cast many copies of a piece.
4. SmoothOn Epoxamite 100 - Need it mainly to harden pepakura. What can I use after that to build on and smooth out. Not really a fan of bondo. It seems it's unecessary hard since you want to sand it down in the end, but I understand it is being used as people often wear that same model instead of making a cast of it and then it has got to be durable.
5. SmoothOn 325 - for casting and to be able to tint the plastic.

That's all for now :)

Thanks for reading

Chavant is good for 2 piece moulds. Milliput or any epoxy putty is best for the master sculpting that you later wish to cast. Yes, moulding rubber us far more durable, you don't want latex. If you have a vac chamber or pressure pot you will get good casts, make the moulds one piece if you can and cut down one side, you need to add the reservoir before making the mould. I don't use smooth on but I use polyurethane resin in large amount and the castings are very high quality.

Chavant is good for 2 piece moulds. Milliput or any epoxy putty is best for the master sculpting that you later wish to cast. Yes, moulding rubber us far more durable, you don't want latex. If you have a vac chamber or pressure pot you will get good casts, make the moulds one piece if you can and cut down one side, you need to add the reservoir before making the mould. I don't use smooth on but I use polyurethane resin in large amount and the castings are very high quality.

Thank you.
if I want to sculpt a bust to cast a latex mask off of it. what procedure and materials are recommended?
I'm thinking of using super sculpey for figurines and maquettes, but for larger pieces I'm not sure.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back