Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

Thing with the OT designs is they often didn't manage to match the concept art work . In the act of constructing the models the builders often altered the body shapes and details as the designs were reviewed for their screen worthiness through the camera lens, so each refinement improved the look of each one as the physical models took shape. Using so many detailed model parts from actual craft took on them added another layer of realism. And much to my regret the result is most of what we've had afterward lacks everything that those production processes brought to the finished designs. The best illustration I have for that was TPM where the best models where actually built ,and the worst ones were CGI'd.
I totally agree that one of the biggest disappointments for me were the lack of any really decent ship designs that weren't based on old models, apart from Reys speeder. I really DID like the new X wing, but then I've got the RMc concept model SS version which its very close too and seems based on. I really do hope they sort this issue out for the next films.

But there used to be scenes aboard ships that were in hyperspace. They had conversations

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yeah but the movie was already over 2hours and they really had nothing to say to drive the plot forward so it would have wasted time for no reason .

Movies use dissolves rom one place to another, ot one time to another to show the passage of distance and time. It is a long-used convention. Like when Luke goes to Dagobah, there is a dissolve. The viewer doesn't know how long the lapse is between the outgoing shot and the incoming part of the dissolve. It is just "movie timing", and you are not supposed to question it. Unless, of course, you are one of those that throw a tantrum whenever something isn't made painfully specific in a movie.

I agree that there was very little space travel, ships etc. in this film, but I think it was intentional. I think they intentionally gave TFA a more grounded feel to align with the characters' perspective ... Rey was confined to Jakku, Luke in exile etc. I think their journey is really just beginning, and as they venture out further (both physically and metaphorically) we will see a lot more of that travel, more distant worlds, new ships etc. At least that's what I'm hoping.

I'd heard about that,....gonna have to keep my eyes peeled later in the week for my second view

,......I think theres a level of detail, thought & continuity in the new film,.....or maybe they visit here

J
Exactly I think they are watching here , if they are I want to give them some pointers for the new blu-Ray, the second viewing was great like putting on a familiar coat, I want to see on imax next :D.

I agree on the colors an ATAT but I never felt that way about the star destroyer and around the Starkiller base it should look smaller also in 3D the star destroyer was sitting in my lap lol just another reason to see TFA that way sorry I am just stoked on the 3D every other movie I have seen in it has been disappointing but it seems they really nailed it with this one also the point of view shots looked amazing .
Totally agree 3D was great, usually 3D films have very specific scenes set up for the 3D , the 3D scenes in TFA were subtle , and most scenes were improved with 3D , the star fighter scenes looked great in 3D

Would be happy to be wrong but there's no way Harrison Ford is coming back. Unless they filmed stuff for future use while they had him.

Right, except that it's all over the place that he's been officially cast in the film. I doubt it will be for long, and sure, maybe they already filmed it, but he will be in the film.

Anyone but me annoyed by Kylo Ren capturing Rey instead of BB-8 because she had seen the map?
Well, so had the audience... but who is able to understand and remember it?

Well, I finally got to see it and even after knowing the whole plot, I have to say I was thrilled! Do I agree with a lot of the critiques? Yes, but it was still awesome....for sure felt like Star Wars to me:) STAR WARS IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert

Yeah but the movie was already over 2hours and they really had nothing to say to drive the plot forward so it would have wasted time for no reason .
Maybe they didn't need the scene with stupid tenticle monsters. That was about 5 minutes.

Instead, they could have had a couple moments where they are in hyperspace developing characters or exposition.

My husband and I went and saw it for the second time today. I'm so glad we went. It was even better the second time because the first time, I was so overwhelmed I could barely take in the story, but this time I could focus on the details more and really enjoy some of the fun bits. For example, the first time, I completely missed the bit where Finn found the Jedi training remote and tossed it aside which made me laugh. :)

JJ's Star Wars thrill ride: just sit back and don't think about what's happening. A fan experience which had all the greatest hits in there, but a completely unoriginal and ludicrously sh-t story that had nothing to say. The production knew that the revolutionary VFX Star Wars ushered-in was over and done, so they refocused to big character beats, A.D.D. editing and hot-cutting dialogue whenever possible. Almost everything in TFA is lifted from the OT (and its development) in one form or another.

The scene with the Rathgars could have been in a JJ Star Trek, but it works as Star Wars because Ford is there and he's great. Kylo Ren started out like Rick Moranis in Spaceballs, but once the mask was off I was impressed that he was the character Lucas had failed to create with Anakin's ENTIRE prequel backstory. A hollowed-out planet that sucks stars dead to shoot JJ lens flares at solar systems, like the black hole maker flying around in '09 Trek, as yet ANOTHER Death Star? ANOTHER space family dynasty with a bad boy who needs redemption?

So great to have Ford back in his element, though, and Hamill looked f-ing incredible at the end. The *cinema sins* people on YouTube will probably devote an entire hour to TFA! Very frustrating, as there were some fun/clever/well-written character bits. Check out the 'Art of TFA' book if possible, as there were some very interesting concepts which were dropped.

It was better the second time. Han's death still made my stomach twist up and the ending with Luke made my heart beat really fast-.or it stopped, not really sure.

And Han had some great comedic moments. I really enjoyed it.

Maybe they didn't need the scene with stupid tenticle monsters. That was about 5 minutes.

Instead, they could have had a couple moments where they are in hyperspace developing characters or exposition.

They could have a scene where everyone is asleep to prove that they need rest but the movie did not need it .we understood the characters and what they were doing no need to have them sitt around explaining there life to each other just to prove hyperspace takes a while.
And the tentsacle monsters were fine just a sarlak without a pit .
Just my opinion, in ANH while in hyperdrive we learn Han dont believe in the force and Luke wants the blast shield. Up if you expect him to fight. We had nobody to train anybody and Han just told us "its true, all of it"
By the way has anyone noticed that snoke's
Music was almost the same music as ROTS part where palpatine talks to anakin about plagues ? Hmmm wounder what that means ?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back