Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

... It just felt like the actor didn't want to be in the next one.

That's exactly it. Ford is always reluctant to talk about SW in the first place and always felt his character shoulda been offed in ESB. He came back to this one because it finally gave him what he wanted: an out. He's a 74 year old man who's constantly pestered by his "nerd-cred", I can totally sympathize if he wants some solace (and a nice paycheck to boot).

1. I didnt spot any of that sorry.

2. They dont say much about the Kanjiklub that revelas much about it, that or i missed it sorry

3.The falcon was stolen by a dogy person on jakku, and they trace it to there, but rey and finn take it when they run from the first order who are hunting BB8. Han and chewie are on a freighter ship they own. BB8 has a map to find luke which kylo ren is hunting, he was trained by luke but went to the dark side. Han solo is his daddy and Kylos name is ben.

No more negative harrison ford as kylo kills him.

I would have more info but these women in the cinema who were sitting infront of me kept making noise and playing with their hair. some other poeple close by started talking and playing with their phones. they must of been dragged there by thier Nerd BFs. I look foward to when a 720p or better torrent comes up so i can enjoy it better on my hi res 24inch computer monitor. cinema is becoming so over rated especially the 3D which i saw TFA in.

Thank you :) I much appreciate it :)
Just was curious about the guavian as they have action figures already and even a large size one.

I've never understood this mentality of someone's first experience over another person's being more valid. Isn't experiencing anything the first time valid for all people? I wasn't around when the original three films were released (I caught them when they were on home video) so does my being six years old and seeing ANH the first time, and what I experienced then, suddenly not count because I wasn't "there" to consciously remember the hype? I feel like that's saying, "Because I was born before you were and had ice cream before you were born, my memories of eating ice cream is worth so much more than yours."

This mindset of "I, and a group of others, are more special then you because of this petty reason..." is really what bothers me about this whole "geek" business. It really is the root of all prejudices and for a group of people who were generally picked on by others for liking silly stuff to be doing that to others because they're not on "their level" is both hypocritical and obnoxious. If that's what "fandom" is then I'll have no part in it.

I won't say any spoilers till you've all seen it then we can discuss till are heads explode, the sand crawler is obv not true but, my best advice is just got to enjoy yourselves first and Formost !!!

I went with my 2 of my friends that have been with me since I was 4 and we all played star wars together as kids so that was nice

We all said the same thing when we came out

A Scottish accent doesn't seem right in Star Wars , I don't know why but we all said it and it's by know means racist, just thought it was funny we all picked up on it

I have to say though BB-8 is perfect and will be cherished for decades much as his predecessor is

Stroke of genius that design was

JJ nailed it but I think he'd of nailed it even more if he'd agreed with Kasdan more

Out with the old and in with new , chewie had his best film to date also ;-)

I must say, you refreshed my memory. that one actor really was terrible, i thought his accent did not fit at all for the film. Its funny, i thought the same thing for the woman in prometheus who was also scottish. maybe im a scot-a-phobe haha

I've never understood this mentality of someone's first experience over another person's being more valid. Isn't experiencing anything the first time valid for all people? I wasn't around when the original three films were released (I caught them when they were on home video) so does my being six years old and seeing ANH the first time, and what I experienced then, suddenly not count because I wasn't "there" to consciously remember the hype? I feel like that's saying, "Because I was born before you were and had ice cream before you were born, my memories of eating ice cream is worth so much more than yours."

This mindset of "I, and a group of others, are more special then you because of this petty reason..." is really what bothers me about this whole "geek" business. It really is the root of all prejudices and for a group of people who were generally picked on by others for liking silly stuff to be doing that to others because they're not on "their level" is both hypocritical and obnoxious. If that's what "fandom" is then I'll have no part in it.

Everyones First experience is just as valid as others. The only difference may be if you are a child of that time in history it may be a little different.Especially compared to how much kids are exposed to these day. I guess I come under the 1st gen banner but only just for ROTJ. The other 2 were VHS although I did see reruns. There is people on social media attacking others for liking the movie and claiming their opinion that it sucks is more valid because they are 1st gen. That to me is just disgusting and shows their real colors. I don't look up to anyone who behaves like that,in fact I look down at them even though it's not my character to look down on anyone.

Ben

He did and I am his biggest fan. I also love the PT but acknowledge its shortcomings. JJ is bringing SW back to where it belongs. That's the overwhelming sentiment of the reviews. 94% is extraordinary and even the haters must concede.

Bryancd... are you saying Disney is above getting tons of over hyped fan boy reviews out there, to protect their 4 billion dollar investment?

I think Abrams is a hack, a great imitator of other, better film makers... and what I've read (even the positive stuff) has done nothing to change my opinion.

Actually, all this does is remind me of the Prequels Hype train. What really matters is 3 months from now when the hype is dead, a people see it for what it is. If you need a refresher, I recommend you go read Roger Ebert's review of The Phantom Menace.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-1999

What a fantastic little (big!) movie! Refreshingly pulp! (I'm not saying old-school, as I find it suitably modern, but it acknowledges the franchise's pulp origins thoroughly)
The new cast is awesome, the old cast delivers, everything just clicks!

I just want to know two things:
1. Lens flare?
2. Is Kylo Ren this guy...

No and No. Well the lens flare is there in some parts, but nothing like the BS lens flare of JJ's earlier work STAR TREK. This movie is actually a pleasure to watch due to how clean it is. Lets hope the BDs get this level of attention during the transfer.

I saw this about 20 hours ago (2D) and I am impressed with what had been done here. I will be going to see it again in 3D.

I found this to have a new freshness and yet it still manages to feel like a SW film.

I will be going again to see this over the week end.

The ball droid is kinda cool. He is not the JarJar Binks of this movie at all.

Did I miss something though? In the teaser, the cross blade of Ren's sabre almost suggested that was going to be a big reveal sequence for the sabre fight. Yet I don't even seem to remember seeing that part. Everytime his sabre ignites, the twin hilt blades were on.

I thought the Kylo Ren face reveal was too early. It left no surprise for the father/son confrontation later on.

I did like his hissy fits and especially the re-action from the two stormtroopers.

Going to try and compile my thoughts without spoiling too much:

So I liked it overall. Some parts didn't feel like a Star Wars film and felt more like a generic sci-fi action film, but even that was OK because they were still enjoyable.

The new actors did a good job of acting within the spirit of the franchise. I found Daisy Ridley's character a little wooden to begin with, but once they built up the relationship between her and John Boyega I warmed to her.

Cameos were good, and for the most part were placed thoughtfully in the scenes and weren't shoved in your face (
Nien Nunb
and
Ackbar
pushed it a little bit, but they were still there to serve a purpose).

The use of practical effects and puppetry (or what I perceived to be practical effects and puppetry) was really well done. There were lots of time where they could have used CG to make something move more realistically, but chose not to (particularly in the large creatures). Also they didn't change much of the look and feel of the technology, so most of the displays were just as nonsensical as they were in the original films!

Chewwie was great, BB-8 was an amazing comic presence and as others have said, should be just as fondly remembered as R2.

C3PO was entirely superfluous. They definitely could have done without him from a story telling point of view.

It was a little fast paced. I saw it in 2D and I felt like occasionally they needed to just slow down a bit and do a bit more story-telling. Having said that I also felt like it maybe ran a little long, but that could have been because it was getting on for 3am and I was shattered...

My biggest gripe was really due to my own desire to know as little about the film as possible before seeing it. I know people are disagreeing with this assessment but unless you're an absolute guru in all things Star Wars, and understand the subtleties of the different stories, it really plays out like a remake of Episode IV. If I had known that before going in I would have gone in with a slightly different hat on, because I found myself being slightly annoyed that I wasn't being shown anything particularly new...

Starkiller base was dealt with FAR too easily (although if you're going to contain the power of a sun inside a planet...I guess that's what you get)

Kylo Ren is an angry little man. Although his little outbursts are sometimes funny due to how the Stormtroopers react, he often comes across like the new Ep. III Anakin. Unfortunately, they didn't do a good enough job of explaining Snoke, so Ren's actions come across like he's insane, rather than a Vader type character with more control over his use of anger and fear. People aren't scared of him because he's a menacing presence, people are scared of him because he's unhinged.

Luke IS in it... but might as well not be. The next film will probably be called "Star Wars - Episode VIII: OK Here's Luke. Sorry about messing with everyone like that."

Honestly if a first-generation star wars fan comes out from seeing this film totally disappointed then theyre likely to be the sort of person that puts make up on there 5 year old daughter cos she's not pretty enough!!!

I am first gen and I loved this.

I think those that hate or say anything really negative about any of the 7 films are not really fans. They are what they are and you either like STAR WARS or you don't.

I think those that hate or say anything really negative about any of the 7 films are not really fans.

Absolute rubbish. Some people just didnt want these movies and to say we are not fans if we didnt is absolute horse ****.

Now I've slept on it, a few more little niggles

When she finds Luke it looks like she's in Yorkshire on a ramble

Though an incredible location, it was so familiar in look I was waiting for her to be passed by a couple in bright cagoul's carrying a flask and sandwiches

Though not really a gripe it was a little distracting, that's when I think cgi would've been good to add a little unfamiliar to the familiar or to take the ee by ek out of it

I now it was Skeleg but I didn't want to feel they were in the UK?

I guess for those that live in San Fran
You may have had a similar thing when they were on endor

It was a little fast paced. I saw it in 2D and I felt like occasionally they needed to just slow down a bit and do a bit more story-telling. Having said that I also felt like it maybe ran a little long, but that could have been because it was getting on for 3am and I was shattered...

Was it really that fast paced or was it because it didn't have the big lag moment of the 6 six films? To me, there is a spot in each of the previous 6 films that seems to just drag its feet. This didn't seem to have that.

Kylo Ren is an angry little man. Although his little outbursts are sometimes funny due to how the Stormtroopers react, he often comes across like the new Ep. III Anakin. Unfortunately, they didn't do a good enough job of explaining Snoke, so Ren's actions come across like he's insane, rather than a Vader type character with more control over his use of anger and fear. People aren't scared of him because he's a menacing presence, people are scared of him because he's unhinged.

True. That works for me because he wants to be a Vader and he is not.

Absolute rubbish. Some people just didnt want these movies and to say we are not fans if we didnt is absolute horse ****.

What movies? A we about to see another bashing of the prequels? The changes of the OT? Seriously, as a fan, what is not to like?

STAR WARS is so much more than " a boy, a girl and a universe". It helped change the way motions pictures were made. It set standards and pushed the envelope of what is even possible with both practical and digital effects, sets etc.

The only thing that bugs me about STAR WARS is the crappy video transfers we got on Blu-ray. These films deserved so much more and now that they are in the House of Mouse, hopefully they will get the care and attention they deserve.

Saw the midnight show, had some sleep.

This is a great movie. First and foremost, I felt like I was watching a Star Wars movie. I watched ESB and ROTJ literally just before going in and it felt seamless. A very similar look and feel to the OT.

Chewie gets a good outing in this and was pleased to see him doing more. Kylo was excellent, the conflict and anger was very well done. Can't wait to see more of him.

Was left wanting to know a lot more about Rey, very little background to her so far.

Going again on Friday morning. Still just as excited to go and see it again.

That is like saying, just because you are a fan of a band, you must automatically like and praise every new album they release or you are not a REAL fan :lol

Bryancd... are you saying Disney is above getting tons of over hyped fan boy reviews out there, to protect their 4 billion dollar investment?

I think Abrams is a hack, a great imitator of other, better film makers... and what I've read (even the positive stuff) has done nothing to change my opinion.

Actually, all this does is remind me of the Prequels Hype train. What really matters is 3 months from now when the hype is dead, a people see it for what it is. If you need a refresher, I recommend you go read Roger Ebert's review of The Phantom Menace.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-1999

Actually the major reviews for TPM were pretty middling. And TPM currently sits at 55% Rotten. TFA still at 95% this morning. That's not fanboys, that's critics.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-review-752675

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/r...enace-19990519

http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?...56C0A96F958260

They kept their promise to us.
Mostly.
But the problem with letting a desparate kid into the sweetshop is that he will eat far too much and far too quickly than is perhaps good for him. Somebody ought to have fitted JJ with a restraining bolt!
So dial your expectations back a little if you are a hard core SW fan.
As a reintroduction to the SW universe TFA succeeds well. Indeed at times its an astonishingly powerful return to a beloved Galaxy that has seemed, at times, to be so very far far away.
The cinematography ,the craftmanship of the sets and set pieces, the creative designs of props and the stunning technically wizardry , its all back in there ,and with one or two exceptions ,looks excellent.That could only have been achieved by people for whom matching the OT was the benchmark and they managed it on the whole.
My main gripes were some of the preproduction designs sometimes looked better than what was in the film and there is an unbelievable lack of types of spaceships and other craft in this for a SW film and I missed that variety dearly.The Falcon set pieces are fantastic but ,for example, you get just one decent shot of the whole of the one single star destroyer in all this. And totally forget about those barely glimpsed At Ats !! Also I was quite underwelmed particularly by Snoke and Maz , their CGI looked surprisingly weak and ex LOTR.
But on the good news side the cast are on the whole very good.
Daisy Ridley, once she settles in, brings alot to Rey, particularly in the battles with Kylo Ren .So its very unfortunate that she manages to do in a single film what took Luke three and for somebody whose been just a scavenger, she has all these amazing skills at the drop of a hat. Training to be a Jedi (and a hot pilot )looks to be like a piece of P*SS in this. And it shouldn't. And speaking of the main villian , he has some excellent moments in character that are then destroyed by some very stupid over reactions. Rens journey could be the most interesting of all in this new trilogy, but he needs to be better written.
John Boyega is often strong and comic as the conflicted ex stormtrooper (and just how he became a stormtrooper is going to shut alot of people up) and Oscar Issacs will truely remind you of a younger Solo WHEN he's there in the film. And every kid in the world who sees this is going to want to have a BB8 trundling behind them now.
But as an old SW fan its Hans story here thats going to get to us most of all, and Harrison Ford delivers his best and funniest performance here for decades. But yet again its that stupidly coincidental introduction of them that is so very weak and the freighter piece by far the worst bit of the film by a mile ( and once again not helped by terrible CGI monsters).This really is Hans and Chewies (and the Falcons!!!! )tale and its a compellingly heart felt one at times.
If there are any real issues with the TFA then its going to be with some similarities to the ANH storyline that are undoubtedly going to provoke the most critisism. And to a certain level I will agree with this particularly towards the end. A 3rd DS brings such a weakness to the overall story that it could well have done without and many of the other elements could have survived well enough without it.Its inclusion makes the outcome far too predictably dull and its use here, was utterly ridiculous. And that IS a great shame because it distracts and detracts from the ultimate achievement of this film, which is to have brought just about nearly everything back to Star Wars that makes it terrific.
But, and it WILL be a big BUT for some to get passed, given the speed at which the rest of the story flows around some of the more familar elements here this really isn't going to be a particular worry for the majority who aren't superfans of the OT. Jurassic World is the closest film I can think of to it for how this feels set against whats come before. But its the flaws in the story logic that really grate, because they get so much otherwise dead right in this
There is a lot of great humour, The content of the story is incredibly rich, perhaps far too much so with many easter eggs and references peppered through out it. I just wish JJ hadn't tried so hard to stick so much into the one film.
This REALLY does feel like it could have been much longer and I assume (very hopefully) that JJ (and Disney) shot and cut this with an eye to the possiblity of an extended edition of the DVD much in the same way that LOTR ( and George eventually did!) I think it would benefit us all to get a little breathing space worked into the incredible pace this all charges along at and certain characters that did seem key to the story do desperately need more screen time than was actually afforded them,which is my only other critical point to make.
It felt like this may have been deliberate done post shoot though,perhaps to afford more flexibility for the Ep8 storylines as I suspect , given how rapidly this was all done, the entire arc of the trilogy and characters wasn't, and that other things need to be established later on ,much like the original.
Despite this, as a visual experience this was a very thrilling SW film and I really enjoyed it for that alone. With all the new characters and greatter possibilities this openning chapter leaves for the future of the series then I'd say its the equivalent of ANH and that having put Rhian Johnson in charge of the next could produce the one to beat that by a margin . I liked TFA alot even though it is flawed and it leaves the Prequels effortlessly behind, gathering dust in the cupboard.
So well done and job done . Thank you Disney, Lucasfilm ,JJ and everyone involved for bringing so much back from such a long time ago in that Galaxy so very far far away.And to George Lucas for having the courage and generocity to let somebody else take over the reins of what was ultimately his vision. For all that was past and now all that is present ,well, I really ,really just can't thank you enough.

PS And another thing. I predict that the debate and speculation as to what will happen in VIII is going to be as fierce and wide ranging as at the end of TESB And the whole of TFA!!!! Bryancd you're work here is not done!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back