Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

There is one word or two that I would change to a synonym to make it more generic, but yes.
There are also more similarities not mentioned.

What others did you notice?
Obviously the level of fandom the viewer is will be important in noticing or not being aware.
Some may be more subtle.

is the resistance separate from the New Republic or are they the same?
"The Resistance" belongs to the "New Republic". Both are spelled out. I'm still confused to why it would be called "The Resistance" ...

What [other similarities between ANH and TFA] did you notice?
The desert dweller is an orphan, longs to leave the desert planet, has not been off-world since a very young age yet somehow is really good at flying starships, is given Anakin Skywalker's old lightsaber by a wise old person who had had it stored in a wooden chest ... and is encouraged by the aforementioned wise old person to learn the ways of The Force.
Oh, and a scoundrel is wanted by violent gangsters for some kind of debt.

Last edited:
Well, he's not making the next one, so...
Of course this film leans heavily on nostalgia. After the PT, SW needs to get back to the familiar in order to re-launch the franchise to afford it the opportunity to spread its wings. If they had taken too many risks with this it could have been a disaster. As it is, it sets up a bright future.

97% on Rotten Tomatoes is amazing and tells a very different story then what some of you are saying.

I'm sure Episode one would of had a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes too right when it released, the fanboys are just excited that it's a new Star Wars movie after so long. It's now sitting at 94%, i'm sure once the hype dies down it will dip a little lower once people realize it's more or less just a retelling of ANH.. Just a Greatest Hits of the OT if you will. I'm sure it's a good movie, JJ is great at making generic SCI-FI action movies, I'm please he won't be involved with the next one.

I'm interested in what the consensus will be once the hype has died down and how well it will hold up.

Mr. Mouse made demands.......

The business of ‘Star Wars’ comes with a huge catch
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...usiness-of-star-wars-comes-with-a-huge-catch/

- - - Updated - - -

"The Resistance" belongs to the "New Republic". Both are spelled out. I'm still confused to why it would be called "The Resistance" ...

The desert dweller is an orphan, longs to leave the desert planet, has not been off-world since a very young age yet somehow is really good at flying starships, is given Anakin Skywalker's old lightsaber by a wise old person who had had it stored in a wooden chest ... and is encouraged by the aforementioned wise old person to learn the ways of The Force.
Oh, and a scoundrel is wanted by violent gangsters for some kind of debt.

Thanks for your observations.

Wait until it opens here tomorrow and this thread will be very different. That 94% positive is clearly killing some of you. You were praying for a bomb and that ain't happening. This thread is the greatest hits of JJ haters breathing their last hate on this wonderful movie he has made. They have lost control of the narrative

Last edited:
Just got back. VERY nostalgic and the "real" effects were a welcome change from the computer-generated prequels. Won't say more, but but definitely in the spirit of the originals. Nothing's perfect, but not tons to complain about. We all walked out with smiles on our faces.

Wait until it opens here tomorrow and this thread will be very different. That 94% positive is clearly killing some of you. You were praying for a bomb and that ain't happening. This thread is the greatest hits of JJ haters breathing their last hate on this wonderful movie he has made. They have lost control of the narrative

I'd give 1970s Lucas some credit. Lucas made Star Wars. Not Abrams.

I just want to know two things:
1. Lens flare?
2. Is Kylo Ren this guy...
DonaldTrumpFace_zpskbme1nxj.jpg

Ok I've just come back from a screening. I'm in the UK so we got it a day earlier. I enjoyed it a lot, and it is vastly better than the PT trilogy. It does have the feeling of an opening act and some bits will really not sit well with people I am sure.

Just got back

Very mixed feelings but all positive

The new faces are great, Rey is a great character

I loved it but every min that goes past now I can think of things I wish were different but I totally understand why they did

It's not Empire but we all know that before we went

For me the first 10 mins alone was better than the prequels (after time)

It's a great film and I love it but with that comes some things were never all going to sit well with .

I can't list all that was good as it would be the whole film

Minor gripes are

C3PO needs to go ...

Not sure about the Indiana Jones meets red dwarf bit in the middle

Ends too fast

Disney did a Spider-Man 3 with a certain chrome trooper ????

The good!!!

All of it, even the minor gripes are good, it's a proper star wars film , it's fun, funny, very ANH but most of all it's here for us all to enjo and for our kids to enjoy and it's back for a long time

the sand crawler tipping over was brilliant. prob the best Luke bit in the film !!

:)

A few questions if someone could elaborate. A Personal Message is fine if you do not want to divulge too much on here.

1. What role did the Guavian Trooper play and where?

2. What is this Kanjiklub and where did they fit in and what did they do?

3. How exactly does Han and Chewy get the falcon back. Where they on a freighter on something?

4. Was the Crimson Corsair even in the movie if so what did he do. I only ask as he was the only remotely interesting looking character of the new cantina types.

I only ask these questions as I will not be able for personal reasons to see the film for quite sometime.

So if someone would like to tell me all what happened and has the time you could message me I would be ever grateful :)

I know the plot points just none of the in between. Like does Rey really slash Kylo face. How did that whole scene play out?

I won't say any spoilers till you've all seen it then we can discuss till are heads explode, the sand crawler is obv not true but, my best advice is just got to enjoy yourselves first and Formost !!!

I went with my 2 of my friends that have been with me since I was 4 and we all played star wars together as kids so that was nice

We all said the same thing when we came out

A Scottish accent doesn't seem right in Star Wars , I don't know why but we all said it and it's by know means racist, just thought it was funny we all picked up on it

I have to say though BB-8 is perfect and will be cherished for decades much as his predecessor is

Stroke of genius that design was

JJ nailed it but I think he'd of nailed it even more if he'd agreed with Kasdan more

Out with the old and in with new , chewie had his best film to date also ;-)

Last edited:
1. I didnt spot any of that sorry.

2. They dont say much about the Kanjiklub that revelas much about it, that or i missed it sorry

3.The falcon was stolen by a dogy person on jakku, and they trace it to there, but rey and finn take it when they run from the first order who are hunting BB8. Han and chewie are on a freighter ship they own. BB8 has a map to find luke which kylo ren is hunting, he was trained by luke but went to the dark side. Han solo is his daddy and Kylos name is ben.

No more negative harrison ford as kylo kills him.

I would have more info but these women in the cinema who were sitting infront of me kept making noise and playing with their hair. some other poeple close by started talking and playing with their phones. they must of been dragged there by thier Nerd BFs. I look foward to when a 720p or better torrent comes up so i can enjoy it better on my hi res 24inch computer monitor. cinema is becoming so over rated especially the 3D which i saw TFA in.

Exactly how I feel Bryan. There's no pleasing some. I'm going tomorrow. So a day late over here but I wanted to go with many kids as possible. There will be a handful of us adults(well kids at heart) and my son who is 8 on sat and his cousin and friends. I know who's faces I'll be looking at when we walk out. I'll be seeing myself when I was a young lad.Can hardly wait. ;)

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Just got back

Very mixed feelings but all positive

The new faces are great, Rey is a great character

I loved it but every min that goes past now I can think of things I wish were different but I totally understand why they did

It's not Empire but we all know that before we went

For me the first 10 mins alone was better than the prequels (after time)

It's a great film and I love it but with that comes some things were never all going to sit well with .

I can't list all that was good as it would be the whole film

Minor gripes are

C3PO needs to go ...

Not sure about the Indiana Jones meets red dwarf bit in the middle

Ends too fast

Disney did a Spider-Man 3 with a certain chrome trooper ????

The good!!!

All of it, even the minor gripes are good, it's a proper star wars film , it's fun, funny, very ANH but most of all it's here for us all to enjo and for our kids to enjoy and it's back for a long time

the sand crawler tipping over was brilliant. prob the best Luke bit in the film !!

:)

Thanks man. Your someone round here I was waiting on. There's a handful of others too. ;)

Ben

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back