Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

When they have escaped Jakku, Rey and Finn meet in the hallway of the Falcon and Finn says her flying was amazing and Rey replies that she has no idea how she did it. It's IN THE FILM.

Sure, I remember that. I just wasn't sure that's what you were referring to. Thanks for clarifying.

Like I said, she's a Mary Sue. Just because she doesn't know why/how she's a Mary Sue, doesn't mean she isn't one.

The Wook

ps~Mad Max: Fury Road sucked because it wasn't about Mad Max. They should've called it Mad Charlize, or whatever her character's name was. I love her, and she was good in the role, but the filmmakers screwed up by making her the lead badass. It's a Mad Max movie, for crying out loud...make Max the lead badass.

Once again, Girl Power Feminism run amok!

Using her natural survival skills and staff training against a guy who's gut shot and already went a few rounds with Finn earlier. I don't know if you've done any martial arts or not but I can tell you that a few minutes of sparring can really wear a person out, even someone in good shape, and especially someone who's been gut shot. That Kylo was able to even stand and fight at all is a testament to his strength but it shouldn't be surprising that he lost to 2 trained and/or seasoned fighters, sure, they're not familiar with the weapon they were using but that sort of evens things out in my opinion; Kylo is (arguably) stronger and more experienced but he's severely wounded, Rey & Finn both know how to fight and Rey is discovering her Force talents but neither are trained with a lightsaber so that evens things out but ultimately team Finn-Rey have the advantage in that there's two of them so that Rey goes into the fight relatively fresh before Kylo has had much of a chance to catch his breath.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

The Wook

Dare I even point out in "A New Hope" that Luke had NEVER flown off world either (just like Rey) but was a good bush pilot (just like Rey), yet manages to blow up the Death Star by flying a ship he has had no experience of at full throttle down a narrow trench , turns off his targeting computer, closes his eyes ,listens to the Force (after about five minutes training on the Falcon from Obi wan) and yet scores a DIRECT hit!!!!
WHAAAAAAAAAT THE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF??????!!!!!!
No, no problem with THAT at all.
Guess that just makes him a LUCKY LUKIE then.

PS He also got his arse kicked by the Sand People. And the idiots in the cantina scene. And was bullied at Tachi station by everyone. Don't think that happened to Rey did it?
No that's right, She beats up everyone and tells the rest from Unkar Plutt to the guy on the cyberhorse to sod off. She'd have creamed Luke in a New York second

PPS Did Luke get any force visions when he touched his old dads lightsabre? No he did not. He just waved it around and whined about not getting involved . Didn't even slice the guys with it in the pub, left Obi to do the Force work. And it took his Dad cutting his hand off for him for him to realise the truth, and then he was still a bit confused.

Last edited:
Dare I even point out in "A New Hope" that Luke had NEVER flown off world either (just like Rey) but was a good bush pilot (just like Rey), yet manages to blow up the Death Star by flying a ship he has had no experience of at full throttle down a narrow trench , turns off his targeting computer, closes his eyes ,listens to the Force (after about five minutes training on the Falcon from Obi wan) and yet scores a DIRECT hit!!!!
WHAAAAAAAAAT THE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF??????!!!!!!
No, no problem with THAT at all.
Guess that just makes him a LUCKY LUKIE then.

I don't know why you're bring this up, cuz I didn't even mention Rey's piloting abilities. Buuuuuuut, now that you do bring it up, it was absurd that she would know more about the Falcon than Han. Absurd, and insulting. They could've conveyed her impressive mechanical knowledge to the other characters in the film, and to us sitting in the theater, by having her know a lot about a stock Corellian YT1300 Freighter. But to know more than Han about the Falcon is just not credible. What did Han tell Luke and Obi Wan in ANH? He said, "I've made a lot of special modifications myself". This was Han's ship, that he customized. The scene should've had him correct the little know-it-all. But as it was, with Rey being all-knowing, Han was minimized and emasculated, just like he was in ROTJ when he allowed Ewoks to roast him over a flame. (See? I reserve some scorn for George. lol)

The Wook

I don't know why you're bring this up, cuz I didn't even mention Rey's piloting abilities. Buuuuuuut, now that you do bring it up, it was absurd that she would know more about the Falcon than Han. Absurd, and insulting. They could've conveyed her impressive mechanical knowledge to the other characters in the film, and to us sitting in the theater, by having her know a lot about a stock Corellian YT1300 Freighter. But to know more than Han about the Falcon is just not credible. What did Han tell Luke and Obi Wan in ANH? He said, "I've made a lot of special modifications myself". This was Han's ship, that he customized. The scene should've had him correct the little know-it-all. But as it was, with Rey being all-knowing, Han was minimized and emasculated, just like he was in ROTJ when he allowed Ewoks to roast him over a flame. (See? I reserve some scorn for George. lol)

The Wook

Wook......is this all a wind-up?;)

J

I'm talking about struggling with the Force after she's learned of its existence. Struggling to harness it, to develop it, to control it. Han tells her it exists, and boom, she's beating down a near-Sith Lord who can stop laser blasts in mid flight, and throw her 30 feet in the air with a flick of his finger--all with a weapon she's never wielded before in her life. Too much, too soon, Mary Sue.

The Wook

I think you're just not paying attention to what anyone says and instead sticking to what you've got in your head. I just mentioned three instances where using the force was anything but a walk in the park for her. It's not like she went from 0-jedi master like you're trying to say. if you think so then you just weren't paying attention.

It seems clear that we are meant to see that there is something "special" about her, no doubt. presumeably that something will be revealed to us in the next one. we can't have it all in one movie.

When you look at what both Luke and Anakin were able to do before even KNOWING about the Force, why is it then such a problem for Rey--who has heard stories about the Force and at least has some idea of what it is that Force users are capable of--no matter how limited that might be. Anakin only seemed to know that jedi carry lightsabers...beyond that he had no knowledge of the force either, but he was the ONLY human that could pilot a Pod Racer. In his case there was something "special" about him...a vergence the force. maybe it's something like that this time for Rey as well... perhaps it's the will of the Force that she be a foil for Kylo? Why not wait and see?

Luke was able to bullseye wamp rats in his t-16 before having a knowledge of the Force (apparently that isn't easy to do either) and the implication was that he was able to do that and many more things in the Force afterward because he has a strong connection to the Force. Perhaps the same is true of Rey.

So why aren't Luke and Anakin being called Mary Sues..? Oh, it must be because that's only applied to women (like that isn't sexist) and there has to be a derogatory term for a strong woman, I suppose? I can't think what other explanation there might be... it certainly can't be because they have a strong connection to the Force, right? because Rey seems to have that, too...but in her case she has to be a Mary Sue.

No Wook you are simply trolling for attention now. You had some relevant points at one stage but its not even worth the effort of replying from this point on. I hope at some point that they do manage to produce the film that meets your exact expectations but some how I doubt it. Can't wait to read your devastating critique on the Han Solo standalone. Oh wait actually I can. Theres this thing called an ignore button.

I don't know why you're bring this up, cuz I didn't even mention
Rey's piloting abilities. Buuuuuuut, now that you do bring it up, it was absurd that she would know more about the Falcon than Han. Absurd, and insulting. They could've conveyed her impressive mechanical knowledge to the other characters in the film, and to us sitting in the theater, by having her know a lot about a stock Corellian YT1300 Freighter. But to know more than Han about the Falcon is just not credible. What did Han tell Luke and Obi Wan in ANH? He said, "I've made a lot of special modifications myself". This was Han's ship, that he customized. The scene should've had him correct the little know-it-all. But as it was, with Rey being all-knowing, Han was minimized and emasculated, just like he was in ROTJ when he allowed Ewoks to roast him over a flame. (See? I reserve some scorn for George. lol)

The Wook

She corrected him on a mod done after it was taken they dicissed it minutes before, that was the whole point Han was firing it up his way and he fogot it had been changed . she fixed it back to Hans way mid flight because it was causing the very problem they both said it would that is what impressed him . she could thin on her feet like him and Chewie could .

Han did not allow Ewoks a damn thing Ewoks are mean little suckers !

Oh it is most definitely for its own sake. No offense, Solo, but if you don't think Rey is a vessel for advancing Hollywood's liberal agenda, then you've got blinders on. That film was Girl Power run amok!

I'll tell ya "say's who?"! Yoda! He told us that only a fully trained Jedi can resist being seduced by the dark side.

Remind me, please.

The Wook

Girl Power run amok? Mon Dieu! Your posts grow more sexist by the moment. Look... there are plenty of examples of what you're talking about in Hollywood right now...but this ain't one of them! The story group mentioned at the outset that they'd felt that Star Wars was lacking enough strong female characters, and so they intended to bring more into TFA and beyond. But just because they are there doesn't automatically make it "girl power run amok". Do you always think in such extreme terms?

Yes.. Yoda said that you had to be fully trained to resist being seduced by the Dark Side... NOT that you couldn't use the Force! According to the novelization, Rey felt the pull of the Dark Side when she had Kylo on the ground...it said "Kill Him" but she chose to ignore it, and that's when the ground opened up and separated them. It happened the same in the film, except that we weren't privy to what she heard in her head. The point is that your remark about Yoda doesn't stand because she wasn't concerned with resisting the Dark Side at that point, she was concerned with fighting for her life, and the Force was with her.

I'll remind you... she mentioned to Finn that she'd been a pilot already, but not off world...soon after they'd met.

ps~Mad Max: Fury Road sucked because it wasn't about Mad Max. They should've called it Mad Charlize, or whatever her character's name was. I love her, and she was good in the role, but the filmmakers screwed up by making her the lead badass. It's a Mad Max movie, for crying out loud...make Max the lead badass.

You loved her so much you can't even remember her name... Good job :facepalm

Apparently in your world ALL women are advancing a Feminist agenda. NEWSFLASH: NO WE AREN'T! I love Rey, and identify with her very much... because we are both strong women who know how to take care of ourselves but also care for others. That doesn't make her a Feminist device any more than it makes me one.

I'd advise you to halt the Feminist connection... it's doing the convo about TFA here NO good, and it's certainly not endearing you to us, either.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

The Wook

There really isn't more than one way to take the phrase: "you don't know what the Hell you're talking about". What other mystery way is there for someone to take that, other than "I'm soooo much smarter than you..." :rolleyes

It's coming quite clear that you do indeed enjoy poking at everyone just to see what reaction you can get. Unfortunately that is counter to the purpose of this thread, which is to have a meaningful discussion. If you could find a way to do that without attacking everyone, we'd get a lot further, methinks.

The Wook

How so? Everything I've posted is true, sparring does consume lots of energy, don't believe, just watch any MMA, boxing, or any other martial arts and you'll see how tired these highly trained athletes get after each round.

Kylo was gut shot, or did you forget that? I can absolutely guarantee you that being gut shot will affect your ability to fight, that he was able to defeat Finn in his condition is a testament to his strength and bit of a feat in and of itself since most people probably wouldn't be able to stand after sustaining such an injury, much less fight. When Rey steps in she's pretty fresh, she hasn't been going a couple rounds with a trained opponent all the while seriously wounded.

Another thing to factor in is that their lack of training in using a lightsaber makes both Rey and Finn somewhat more difficult opponent to go against. Ask anybody who practices any sort of martial art and they'll tell you that sometimes it's the amateurs that are hardest to go against and that's because they don't know better, they do things that a more experienced fighter won't do because they know it doesn't work, or isn't that effective, or what ever and thus they don't expect anyone to use it against them and get caught off guard. This doesn't apply to rank amateurs with 0 experience but with the novice fighter this is absolutely true and with their training in other weapons it absolutely makes Rey & Finn novices in lightsaber fighting. Would this normally allow them to get the better of a more seasoned and experienced fighter like Kylo, no, but it would be (and is) enough, even if just barely, the edge they need to defeat a wounded and tired Kylo.

Sure, I remember that. I just wasn't sure that's what you were referring to. Thanks for clarifying.

Like I said, she's a Mary Sue. Just because she doesn't know why/how she's a Mary Sue, doesn't mean she isn't one.

The Wook

So now you are trolling with a dusting of misogyny.

As for the "girl power" thing, you know what? I'm cool with it. I'm gonna have a daughter in about a month and a half, and I rather like the idea of her having someone like Rey to look up to in my favorite film franchise.

Bingo. I'd rather have my nieces look up to someone like Rey than someone like Miley Cyrus.

Dedicated to all the creeper fanboys out there:

BoXpiwP.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back