Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

I'm a big defender of cgi but one thing I will say is that explosions, bullet shots and fire should always be done practically

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

When fan editors get a hold of the deleted scenes they'll be an extended cut. Plus you know the 20th Century Fox Logo opening fanfare will be added by someone as well.
It would have also been nice to have longer shots of existing scenes, so that the movie would not feel so stressed and compressed as it does. The movie feels like J.J. Abrams talks ...

Last edited:
Frankly, I didn't miss the 20th Century logo at all and i felt i'd miss it to some degree. I loved their resolution to it as well. Nothing. Previews to theatre junk to LFL logo. Perfect. Disney wasn't mentioned until the very last line of the credits. Just like a Marvel flick.

attachment.php

Attachments

• GgAa2HA.png
    GgAa2HA.png
    218 KB · Views: 246
Why does anyone wear a helmet? I assume he wears it for head protection. Preventing his identity from being broadcast to everyone he runs into was probably a consideration for him too.

KNIGHTS of Ren? Not Buddies of Ren or Sportsclub of Ren, but KNIGHTS. Maybe that is the reason why he wears that helmet, i.e. mandatory club fashion?

TFA is slowing down already. It's barely ahead of JW, and JW fell well over a billion dollars short of Avatar. TFA will be lucky to get to $2 billion. It won't even come close to Avatar's $2.8 haul.

The Wook

The beating of avatar was for the US only, so china is irrelevant for the point of the article.

If it lasts the same 7 months as avatar, it'll crush the world wide mark. With a BR slated for april, it won't hit 7 months. It clearly has the best chance that anything has ever had, but i'll believe that'll happen when it happens :) They're stilll only expecting 200-300M out of china last i heard, not a billion.

I've seen it five times, so I've made my contribution.

Latest estimates are saying that TFA will most likely fall short of Avatar's world gross. The Chinese release would have to pull in Furious 7-type dollars (yen?), which did amazingly well over there... TFA pre-sales there have been "lukewarm," and the January movie schedule is crowded (they don't allow foreign movies during December).

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Star Wars 7 Opens in China, Breaks Records With $33 Million

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's a Saturday/Sunday opening record but comparisons to Jurassic World or F7 are difficult, I think F7 debuted on a Sunday and had a very high 3 day total. Regardless, what will matter most is audience response and word of mouth, they have a few clear weeks before any major competition.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/star-wa...d-global-international-box-office-1201679456/

Also continued and impressive domestic numbers now in excess of $800M.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/the-revenant-star-wars-the-force-awakens-weekend-box-office-1201678383/

This was covered already - I posted the China number in post #2389.

Disney is putting a lot of spin in their news release. Highest Saturday debut ever? Apparently, it's the only film to be released on a Saturday in China.

Also the Sunday earnings are estimated at $20.7 million, a 35% drop - leaving the Chinese 2-day total at $52.7 million.

Info from Chinese Box Office Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ChinaBoxOffice/status/686232390021308420
https://twitter.com/ChinaBoxOffice/status/686199418970894336

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, I'd rather see nothing less than to see TFA take the worldwide crown from Avatar.

More on the Chinese box office battle here:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens hit $1.73 billion globally this weekend to become the #3 film of all-time worldwide, passing Jurassic World.

The Force Awakens finally landed in China on Saturday with an estimated two day total of $53 million making it according to Disney's spin machine, "the highest Saturday/Sunday opening of all-time there as well as the biggest industry opening Saturday of all-time." Of course, it should also be mentioned that The Force Awakens is the only Hollywood film to have ever opened on a Saturday so those records mean almost nothing.

In addition, according to social media reports, word of mouth amongst Chinese moviegoers is mixed at best, which led to a steep 35% drop from Saturday to Sunday. IMAX screens took in $8.1M, also "far exceeding any previous 2-day opening" according to Disney.

Weekday holds will determine China's final tally, but the film appears to be struggling to find a foothold with Chinese audiences.

TFA has already been lucky and regardless whether it beats the worldwide box office or not, it's doing extremely well and would hope Disney to consider it a wild success.

I don't care what it beats out. I don't need a worldwide box office number record being broken to confirm a personal opinion.

Such sour grape Debbie downers here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TFA has already been lucky and regardless whether it beats the worldwide box office or not, it's doing extremely well and would hope Disney to consider it a wild success.

Not lucky, it's just that good. :) I can assure you Disney is beyond thrilled with the response to the film, it's a clear, defnitive result which validates their entire SW franchise strategy and long term plans. There is literally nothing that can be equivocated regarding the results.

I don't care what it beats out. I don't need a worldwide box office number record being broken to confirm a personal opinion.

Such sour grape Debbie downers here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
No sour grapes at all. I think most of us like the movie so much that we want the numbers to show that. While it's obvious that it's a huge success - I think it would a bit even sweeter if it took Avatar - a movie that a lot of us seem to feel "meh" about.

Even without taking the global top spot from Avatar, the success it has shown is pretty amazing.

Last edited:
No sour grapes at all. I think most of us like the movie so much that we want the numbers to show that. While, it's obvious that it's a huge success - I think it would a bit even sweeter if it took Avatar - a movie that a lot of us seem to feel "meh" about.

Even without taking the global top spot from Avatar, the success it has shown is pretty amazing.
Fair enough.

Not lucky, it's just that good. :) I can assure you Disney is beyond thrilled with the response to the film, it's a clear, defnitive result which validates their entire SW franchise strategy and long term plans. There is literally nothing that can be equivocated regarding the results.
Well it was more in regards to a previously quoted thing by Wook with stating TFA would be lucky to pass Avatar, among other beat downs in other aspects of the movie.

It was my fault turning that into a plural accusation.

Word of mouth is what's keeping people coming and going back again.

I'm wondering if the big investment into that Avatar land will even last long term. I guess we'll see how strong the sequel does, but I have a gut feeling it won't do nearly as well in numbers unless it has something truly amazing to offer.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back