Hoth - Graflex before the repairs

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I don't remember the thread where we discovered the graflexs existed without screws in northern Europe, but I wanted to share these photos. The blue screens were obviously filmed on stage..somewhere here in the US probably...but there's a nice B&W of our hero saber while the glue was still sticking underneath those grips!
12193779_766156133510905_1699100661633284803_n.jpg12189799_766156140177571_3538986612338149424_n.jpg
ESBNoScrews.jpgesbhoth.jpg
But by the time they filmed the Wampa attack, it was time to screw the grips on.
Lukethinking.jpg

Thanks for sharing those pictures Tom ... I can't recall that discovery or thread either ... but I just checked the diary written by Alan Arnold and filming did start in March in Finse ... so this must have been altered early on and perhaps even locally on set?

Chaim

tom great pictures! i remember not too long ago the picture with ford and fisher, with hamill on the tauntaun showing the graflex without screws/rivets. you guys are really on to something

i wonder if the cold climate made the bonding adhesive they used on the grips become faulty...

Thanks for sharing those pictures Tom ... I can't recall that discovery or thread either ... but I just checked the diary written by Alan Arnold and filming did start in March in Finse ... so this must have been altered early on and perhaps even locally on set?

Chaim

This is exactly what I think. They removed all 7 grips, drilled the track and screwed 6 grips on-set. This means there's an ESB saber that technically has 7 glued grips and the extra red button/card/tape!

tom great pictures! i remember not too long ago the picture with ford and fisher, with hamill on the tauntaun showing the graflex without screws/rivets. you guys are really on to something

i wonder if the cold climate made the bonding adhesive they used on the grips become faulty...

I wouldn't doubt it, I read a book that talked about the camera guys slicing their fingers open on the edges of the film when loading the cameras beacause it was so cold, it made the film brittle and sharp edged!

Thanks! Yea, I'm thinking the cold weather caused the glue to crack and harden.

It was actually in the ESB DL-44 Greeblie thread :lol.

This is the post and the picture that started "the talk" at post #314
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=230129&p=3570676&viewfull=1#post3570676

I remember it because like Halliwax, I too brought up the possible weather related need for the screws/notches

Solos blaster said:
So...maybe it started out with regular grips like the ANH and then because of the cold/ moisture build up after filming for the day and putting everything away, they wouldn't stay on with just glue or whatever so they decided to cut out the single notch and that worked for a while then with regular "use" around the set the top area of the grip kept rattling/coming loose and swinging freely on the single screw on some and so for these ones they added the second screw?

Ha ... and at the time I even liked that post Solos blaster ... but I completely forgot I had read it ... ah well :facepalm

So for ESB a lightsaber without notches, + tape, extra red button and 7 grips is allowed in your collection :)

Chaim

If it was a glue problem I wonder why only putting rivets on the back end and none on the front which would likely unglue aswell.

Last edited:
So many different versions that I have to add to my list now... :wacko ESB Luke is my all time favorite variation of the Graflex saber. The only thing is that I had to wait so long to find a replica to build it on because I won't ever drill into my real one

Wow, so we have seven grips one button, seven grips two buttons, six grips/screws/two buttons, and now six grips/screws/one button [emoji43]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was a glue problem I wonder why only putting rivets on the back end and none on the front which would likely unglue aswell.

I want to say that I have a picture somewhere that shows there are screws in the bottom and black screws in the top right side of each track. I'll have to see if I can find it.

I know first hand that the cold will make epoxy brittle and break. When I removed old t-track from my graflex I put the bottom half in the freezer and most of them came off in a couple hours with no effort.

The AT-AT foot stomping bluescreen was England as I recall. Hamill was called in on his day off to shoot it, and he landed wrong on his hand and hurt it.

Unless I'm mixing up stories. Rinzler I think.

The AT-AT foot stomping bluescreen was England as I recall. Hamill was called in on his day off to shoot it, and he landed wrong on his hand and hurt it.

Unless I'm mixing up stories. Rinzler I think.

That's what I remember reading in the Rinzler book. Mark had a meltdown after he hurt himself doing the stunt.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back