TFA Snowtrooper Ultimate Build!

It's almost too clean!
Did you end-up using vinyl for the black detailing?

Haha! Well that's just a few extra hours of scraping paint under high magnification where the paint may have creeped under the masking. No vinyl on the back pack, it's all paint. Here's a couple pics of the black process and masking.

The orange tape is automotive fine line tape and the black mask material is vinyl cut on my Cricut to get exact shapes for these areas. No way I could've cut this by hand. :D

masking1.jpgmasking2.jpgmasking3.jpg

Last edited:
Haha! Well that's just a few extra hours of scraping paint under high magnification where the paint may have creeped under the masking. No vinyl on the back pack, it's all paint. Hears a couple pics of the black process and masking.
The orange tape is automotive fine line tape and the black mask material is vinyl cut on my Cricut to get exact shapes for these areas. No way I could've cut this by hand. :D
I think I'll just handpaint mine ^^. Laser cutting vinyl only to mask the area... Dude, you are just setting the bar too high!

I'm still convinced you're only showing us 3D renders... Crook! :D
Seriously, this is absolutely mind-blowing how beautiful it is. I'm looking forward to see how you'll secure it with the backplate and rest. The back picture you posted looks interesting.

One thing I noticed though is that you made the three rows of rounded details at the bottom of the box on the right hand panel engraved instead of embossed.

Last edited:
I'm still convinced you're only showing us 3D renders... Crook! :D
Seriously, this is absolutely mind-blowing how beautiful it is. I'm looking forward to see how you'll secured it with the backplate and rest. The back picture you posted looks interesting.

One thing I noticed though is that you made the three rows of rounded details at the bottom of the box on the right hand panel engraved instead of embossed.

Hmmm, you may be right about those little nubs. In some shots they look engraved but I see where they may be sticking out. Well it's a small part and easily fixed, I'll just print one out with them sticking out - I did notice that on your model and thought it was wrong but I may be the one who's wrong lol.

Here's how I mount the back pack onto the back plate. I have a set of flush mount clips that the BP slides onto, then I have a bolt at the bottom that goes through the back plate, into the backpack and tightens down with a big knob. That keeps it from un hooking and falling off.

back pack clips.jpgback plate clips.jpginside backplate.jpg

So here it is! All done! Debuted it at a local con this weekend, Once I was able to put it on for the first time, I figured out where to make adjustments and I also had to offset the weight of the back pack. I got some 5 pound ankle weights and mounted under the chest, plus I added some velcro so the chest can be stuck to the duster in front keeping it from wanting to fall back from the weight of the back pack. Now, everything stays in place perfectly! here's a few shots! In the next post, I'll upload a walk around video. Note: The blaster is not quite finished and it's the only part of this I didn't make myself.

miscon1.jpgmiscon2.jpg

Here's the walk around video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Never a thread will have been so rightly named. Truly ultimate!
From research to execution, you've mastered pretty much everything and I think it will be a long time before anyone else overcome what you've achieved. If anyone does.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back