World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 3/27/2017

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 2/11/2016

Warcraft Orc PVC skeleton - Backing up a bit to show the construction of the PVC skeleton helmet and belt. On average I'm about 2-3 weeks beyond what I post here. But I was just way to excited to show off the skinning of the arms and chest last week ( bottom of Page 3 ). So to get a scale for the entire costume I built a PVC skeleton out of 1" pipes and connectors. Having the whole costume up helped a bunch when designing the helmet and belt. The skeleton is weighted in the back with a couple of custom made sand bags so he won't tip over.

At this point my Orc has definitely been skipping leg day :)

4edLD6th.jpg

hOjLnjPh.jpg

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 2/15/2016

Warcraft Orc helmet - So I show you guys a bunch of my pics where the build comes out exactly the way I want. The helmet for this beast gave me problems from the beginning and I want to share some of those steps too. I think it's important that everyone knows it's ok to just scrap an idea no matter how long you worked on it if it's just not coming out right. This helmet goes through several changes before I am finally happy with the end result.
To start off I gathered some tips from Evil Ted on how to build a foam helmet (usually I would hand sculpt and cast it out of resin). But I really want to show people how versatile foam is and how it can really keep the cost of a huge project like this in check. Once I have my template and create the shell I think things are going ok. Problem #1 I had to cut out the middle and resize it because I didn't want a bobble head, I want it to be as snug as possible. All of the seams will be covered with craft foam for a decorative look. The middle strip is glued on to decorate and reinforce the cut.

K34URZEh.jpg

oAzkztwh.jpg

qL4groYh.jpg

irJxmsch.jpg

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 2/16/2016

This build is giving me so many so many ideas that are going to make my build take so much longer. Thanks, really.

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 2/16/2016

Warcraft Orc Helmet - So for a proof of concept I cut some eva into a rough face and mouth for sizing. The lower jaw and teeth designs were then transferred to the 3" block foam and cut out. I decided to add protruding armor to the front of the helmet this will help conceal the jaw and give me enough room to put the helmet/mask on. I drew a new face on some scrap EVA and did a quick Dremel job on it to get the eyes and nose to show up a little better.

0P8Coz3h.jpg

KjkyJ82h.jpg

EKL5MpGh.jpg

lfGafaGh.jpg

bk2rbmoh.jpg

rywOseKh.jpg

floUKKwh.jpg

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 2/17/2016

Warcraft Orc Helmet - So here is where I start to lose it and at one point throw the helmet across the shop :) Luckily it's foam so no damage and I come back to it a little later and fix the issues.
Ok, so I have the base helmet shape and I decide it's time for some horns. Just like the bone spikes on the shoulder pads I go back to my 3" block foam and cut out some basic horn shapes. I am trying to get this done pretty quick again because C2E2 in March 18th and it has to be done by then. I decide I'm just going to put on some generic curved horns. I spend a bunch of time detailing them and attaching them to the helmet. Once I put it on the PVC skeleton next to the shoulder pads I absolutely hate it. I am pissed off at myself for taking the easy way out and wasting a bunch of time. ( This is where the helmet went for a flight ) I go upstairs and cool down for a while.

FGM6xdTh.jpg

QKYLkyqh.jpg

qnOWjnmh.jpg

f1EodRCh.jpg

ySMB57Ah.jpg

kXphnw9h.jpg

oBG3v1uh.jpg

After dinner I go back with fresh eyes and decide that I don't care how much time I spent on these horns they are coming off and I'm going to start again on a new set. This time I sketch out several ideas and look at the silhouette of my current build. I decide he needs front facing horns with a more interesting curve, similar to the Lord of Darkness in Legend. To get the curve right I have to stack two 3" blocks and cut the whole thing out by hand while refining them on the belt sander. I take the old horns off and clean up the glue area as best as I can with my Dremel. I attach the new horns and am much happier with how they look. I am glad that I took the additional time to redo them and the attention to detail shows. Lesson for the day....Don't take the easy way out

2Yt3guoh.jpg

RhIC5ELh.jpg

cJpdhf4h.jpg

3lzGIAmh.jpg

GJlzuDmh.jpg

Last edited:
Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 2/18/2016

I love how this has progressed so quickly, I go at a snails pace compared to you,

Keep up the Awesome work

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 2/18/2016

Good call on the horn change. Big improvement. I'm also really impressed with the foam sculpted orc face.

Impressive! Where do you get the 3" blocks of foam?

Unfortunately you can't buy it online. A local foam fabrication company here in Kansas City sells it to me but it is their scrap cutoffs from larger blocks. Usually it gets recycled

Damn! Looking for a light weight but easy to carve material to make the horns to a Death Dealer helmet I'm working on. Keep up the great work on your Orc.

Warcraft Orc- Decided to post another pic showing the scale of this beast. To reiterate I'm 5"6" the finished Orc will be 6'7". There are 10" lifts in the boots and a 3" bump in the helmet. To keep everything proportional my hands stop at his wrists. I can't wait to take the finished version of this to C2E2 so people can see him in person.

GKxOYWUh.jpg

OFmjVVOh.jpg

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 2/19/2016

Rhea detail in the face is outstanding , love how your using the different thickness foam for various element!! Love this bud!!

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 2/19/2016

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick! Why can't you live closer to Texas and teach me your ways!!!!!!!!!!!! This is everything I've ever wanted to be able to do.

Warcraft Orc Belt - I promise the muscle suit skinning steps will happen later this week! I am trying to keep all of the steps in line with how I built the suit so first I have to show the construction of his belt. It is pretty straight forward. I patterned it based off of the belt I made for my Destiny hunter. The main parts are cut out of 1/2" EVA floor mats and rounded off with a dremel. The stitch lines and holes were created using a heat tool (remember to war a respirator) Then the pieces were hand stitched, curved with a heat gun, and glued together using Barge cement.

I9eTvgrh.jpg

0RVCnaXh.jpg

hGWyHh0h.jpg

LZDDEYUh.jpg

92JW1RSh.jpg

uUafFQ3h.jpg

Re: World of Warcraft Orc Full Size Cosplay Costume SKS Props - Updated 2/22/2016

On my Facebook last night I just had to post a teaser shot of the skin.

"Extremely happy with the first couple base layers of latex. I hand stippled it onto the chest, arms, and face to mimic skin pores and imperfections. I can't wait to start really painting skin colors on this thing."

x47xQMwh.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back